Fermented foods

Other than specified below
sinz
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Fermented foods

Post by sinz »

I'm looking to give this diet a try and I'm wondering if having fermented carrots would pose a problem? I don't want to eat anything that is forbidden, I just see them as a digestive aid for the raw protein but they are indeed a vegetable!

Tonight I had an avocado with 3 egg yolks and a couple spoonfuls of carrotkraut and I got this sort of dull, throbbing pain in my stomach. I've been having the carrotkraut with steamed veggies before I began this diet with no such pain. Could the egg yolks cause the pain? Or the combination of the carrots and egg? I'm still new to the raw eggs so maybe I need to just get used to them a little more.

I still need to thoroughly read the acne sample diet. I know the basics and I've just been eating fruit mixed with raw coconut butter all day, then that egg meal that gave me the pain. Went away after about 40 mins though.

Anyways! Lookin forward to experimenting on this wai diet. Sounds so cool. I always felt like I needed to sleep after eating fruit, but when I added some coconut butter, I felt super energized all day! I see the potential here for some health ; ) Ok, that's all. Thanks.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Fermented foods

Post by RRM »

sinz wrote:having fermented carrots would pose a problem?
No problem.
How do you ferment them?
I just see them as a digestive aid for the raw protein but they are indeed a vegetable!
They are no aid at all.
The body very easily digests raw protein, if the source is no vegetable or grain or similar.
Protein from raw animal food in particular is readily digested.
Consuming carrots or something similar might only hinder digestion.
Tonight I had an avocado with 3 egg yolks and a couple spoonfuls of carrotkraut and I got this sort of dull, throbbing pain in my stomach. I've been having the carrotkraut with steamed veggies before I began this diet with no such pain. Could the egg yolks cause the pain?
Its the combination of the carrotkraut and the yolks.
Just eat the yolks alone, with avocado,
or with raw fish, like salmon or tuna.
sinz

Post by sinz »

I run them through a masticating juicer which grinds them up like a nut butter, then add some probiotic cultures and let sit in an airtight jar for 4 or 5 days.

Thanks for letting me know it was the combo of carrots and yolks that was the problem. Next time I will try just the yolks and avocado. I guess the fiber and the yolks don't mix eh? And here I am always thinking, I better eat some fiber with my protein meals to help push things along!

So in general the fermented carrots aren't going to cause acne or hold me back? So having say carrotkraut and avocado would be fine for a meal?

Thanks again!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I guess the fiber and the yolks don't mix eh?
fiber alone does not have to be a problem (avocado is also high in fiber),
but if there are also "probiotic cultures" present, that might, indeed.
And here I am always thinking, I better eat some fiber with my protein meals to help push things along!
Its pushing, indeed.
suppose somebody is making a swiss watch,
and you are pushing him to hurry up.
would that help, you think?
So in general the fermented carrots aren't going to cause acne or hold me back?
I dont know what exactly is in the culture.
So having say carrotkraut and avocado would be fine for a meal?
why dont you try without the carrotkraut for a while?
You certainly dont need it, at all.
you might very well feel better without it.
After a few weeks you add them back into your diet,
and then you will tell us the difference,
would that be okay for you?
sinz

Post by sinz »

Oh man I like that swiss watch analogy! good way to think of it.

The probiotics contain 12 different strains of 'friendly' bacteria known to populate our digestive tract. There is also FOS (derived from chicory root), vegetable grade magnesium stearate, and ascorbic acid. I'm coming off the body ecology diet so I was pretty heavily into fermented foods and probiotics to help reestablish my gut flora and battle a candida overgrowth.

I will avoid the carrotkraut starting tomorrow as I've already got my raw black cod marinating in it. I expect another small stomach ache from it but it'll be a good test. Thanks for all your help!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

sinz wrote:I'm coming off the body ecology diet so I was pretty heavily into fermented foods and probiotics to help reestablish my gut flora and battle a candida overgrowth.
Ah, okay, i understand.
I will avoid the carrotkraut starting tomorrow as I've already got my raw black cod marinating in it.
Cod is often infested with parasites.
Are you sure its not?
Or did you previously deep-freeze it?
sinz

Post by sinz »

I froze it for several days before consuming it.

I'm just reading through the acne book and it says not to consume frozen fish? As of right now I don't have a source of fresh fish that I trust. The only wild salmon I've seen is already frozen.

Should I avoid the frozen fish and just stick to eggs everyday until I can find a good source of fresh fish? Then what about potential parasites? Would marinating the fish in lemon or apple cider vinegar kill parasites?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Frozen fish should be okay. Some fish might contain more parasites than others, but in all these years I've seen only one so far.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

sinz wrote:I froze it for several days before consuming it.
Good, as that eliminates the parasites.
sinz wrote:I'm just reading through the acne book and it says not to consume frozen fish? As of right now I don't have a source of fresh fish that I trust. The only wild salmon I've seen is already frozen.

Would marinating the fish in lemon or apple cider vinegar kill parasites?
No, just stick to the frozen fish.
sinz

Post by sinz »

As I read through the acne book, Wai seems quite adamant that we don't consume any frozen fish whatsoever. What has changed? I had 115g of frozen coho salmon with avocado last night and I felt really weird after. Like all jittery, and sort of like I had restless leg syndrome where it's very uncomfortable if I don't move my legs. Also got pretty tired. Is that common? I may back off the fish for a bit.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

sinz wrote:As I read through the acne book, Wai seems quite adamant that we don't consume any frozen fish whatsoever. What has changed?
It was based on 2 things:
1) a scientific study about toxic proteinaceous compounds
in a container with frozen feedings,
but the source appeared to be contamination with a cleansing agent.
2) self experimentation; people getting acne from raw herring,
but all herring appeared to get salted when deep frozen,
so that adding the salt was the cause, and not the freezing.
I had 115g of frozen coho salmon with avocado last night and I felt really weird after. Like all jittery, and sort of like I had restless leg syndrome where it's very uncomfortable if I don't move my legs. Also got pretty tired. Is that common? I may back off the fish for a bit.
It was frozen salmon, so why should you back off other fish?
That particular piece of salmon may have been contaminated with something.
Luckily it wasnt bad enough to make you really sick.
A mild case of food poisoning, i guess.
Where did you buy the salmon?
Iris

Post by Iris »

sinz wrote:As I read through the acne book, Wai seems quite adamant that we don't consume any frozen fish whatsoever. What has changed? I had 115g of frozen coho salmon with avocado last night and I felt really weird after. Like all jittery, and sort of like I had restless leg syndrome where it's very uncomfortable if I don't move my legs. Also got pretty tired. Is that common? I may back off the fish for a bit.
The fact the salmon was previously frozen can't be the cause; my mother suffered from restless leg syndrome before Wai, but she has never experiences this after she started the diet. She eats previously frozen salmon on a regular basis.
sinz

Post by sinz »

I bought it at The big carrot, in Toronto. It was already frozen. Wild coho alaskan salmon. Must have just been a bad piece of fish, I won't buy from there again. I might have also eaten too much.

I need to find a better source for fish. Maybe I'll try tuna next, but I worry about tuna as it's known for having the highest concentration of mercury of almost any fish.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I agree with Iris.
There are lots of fish that you can try.
viewtopic.php?t=1257