vitamin water

Other than specified below
kylecortez
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

vitamin water

Post by kylecortez »

vitamin water is a sports drink with vitamins it. it is sweetened with crystalline fructose. Might this be a good choice for carbohydrates?
RRM
Administrator

Re: vitamin water

Post by RRM »

kylecortez wrote:vitamin water is a sports drink with vitamins it. it is sweetened with crystalline fructose. Might this be a good choice for carbohydrates?
Fructose should not be the sole source of energy (because it has a different pathway); it should be combined with glucose (they are complementary, in as much as sugar and fat are)
Also, if you consume lots of fruits and some fresh raw animal food, you dont need the extra vitamins.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Are the vitamins actually bioavailable? Is Drinking a bottle of vitamin water with natural flavourings and sucralos worse than drinking milk, or less bad? I'm stuck in the airport and it seemed a better choice than buying a sand which, but it tastes like chemical crap.

http://imgur.com/12x6tJE
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:Are the vitamins actually bioavailable? Is Drinking a bottle of vitamin water with natural flavourings and sucralos worse than drinking milk, or less bad?
How much of the vitamins is absorbed, is actually not that important, imo.
Your diet will normally supply you with everything you need,
so that its no problem to go without any vitamins for a day or two.
I think its way better than drinking milk or eating a sandwich, which both contain various substances we shouldnt consume.
Natural flavourings are not that bad.
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Sucralose! Lesser of two evils? I will pick the sandwich or milk. (or skip these and just buy candy)
But I don't think the body will be that desperate on missing out on vitamins because of a day at the airport.
I am sure the airport should have water, orange juice or apple juice, or on the plane.
Just drink OJ and eat yolks the next day to make up for yesterday's airport trip's nutrition.
Carry granulated sugar packets (those packets that come with coffee), and add them in when you obtain plain water, that way you have your own sugar water.
Mr. PC wrote:but it tastes like chemical crap.
My personal experience with sucralose is that it has a spicy aftertaste! My mind would say: "My water is spicy, help!"
I also feel an emptiness in the stomach after drinking artificial sugar drinks. As in I don't feel like I got the sugar I wanted.
Chemical crap indeed.

Rationale:
Aytundra wrote: Sucralose!
Sucralose was accidentally discovered when they were searching for a pesticide, and hmm... they don't break down too well in water waste treatment plants, and is packaged in "blue" packets to be identified as artificial sweeteners. Aytundra would avoid it!
Aytundra wrote: Lesser of two evils?
Oh the airport, if I were stuck in that situation... I feel for you Mr. PC!
Aytundra wrote: I will pick the sandwich.
Sandwich has real sugar compared to vitamin water.
I would remove the bread crust, eat the starch of the bread, eat the lettuce, discard the cheese, eat the tomato, avoid the seeds...etc.

Personally, I would just buy candy to eat at the airport. Or head to a restaurant and pay for sugar and water. (hey you are on vacation, why not eat candy? but skip the blue dyed gummy bears, and caramelized chocolates, and count less minerals and vitamins and pesticides or cooked foods HCA, maillard...etc.)
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ha ha, i thought you had misspelled sucrose...
I had never heared of sucralose.
Looked it up, and, indeed, that is not something you want to consume... :shock:
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Well, I'll never buy one of those again, because I didn't feel good after drinking it (not super bad, but that feeling of having eaten something unhealthy). Next time if I must maybe I'll go for the chocolate bar.

On the other hand, I did see in a grocery store in Canada a vitamin water made with reverse osmosis water,
http://www.vitaminwatercanada.ca/variet ... i-v/?lang=

ingredients (per 591ml bottle):

reverse osmosis water, cane sugar, citric acid, calcium lactate gluconate (calcium), natural flavour, magnesium chloride (magnesium), ascorbic acid (vitamin C), zinc gluconate (zinc), dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), niacinamide (niacin), calcium-d- pantothenate (pantothenic acid), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), folic acid (folate)

But I wonder why it says not more than 2 bottles a day; vitamin overdose? There are no vitamins amounting more than half the RDA except vitamin C, although I guess so much C wouldn't be good. In theory, if the vitamins were bio-available, and they could include Vitamins A, D, K, and some omega 3 (it's possible to include it in Capsules), then I think it would be pretty cool, although it's quite expensive. One of these bottles costs about $3.00, which I guess is a little more than the cost of fresh OJ you make yourself.
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Mr. PC wrote: One of these bottles costs about $3.00, which I guess is a little more than the cost of fresh OJ you make yourself.
Grins. They are missing a key vitamin in OJ, I don't think it should be used to replace OJ on this diet.
The cheapest price I noticed today was at Cdn $1.88 and $2.29 when it is on sale, $2.69 regular. Which is still expensive.
Mr. PC wrote:But I wonder why it says not more than 2 bottles a day; vitamin overdose?
I will guess that it might throw the vitamins in your body out of proportion, not necessarily an overdose.
They are probably assuming you eat a normal diet with other food items containing similar vitamin contents. I bet.
Mr. PC wrote:There are no vitamins amounting more than half the RDA except vitamin C, although I guess so much C wouldn't be good.
One biology teacher told me, never to buy juice for vitamin C in a "transparent or clear container or a canned container." Because vitamin C is heat sensitive and light sensitive, hence if you were buying an item for vitamin C, from a clear glass bottle, it would mean the vitamin C (even if they fortified it), it will theoretically be decaying on the shelf, from the light exposure; and if canned, canning is by heating the can, so heat treatment.
These vitamin bottles are transparent, so I would not worry about vitamin C. But more on the acidity. I have not tried these bottles but usually vitamin C fortified drinks are acidic in taste to me, but probably because they add other acids for taste such as malic acid, fumaric acid, citric acid, like regular juice box stuff.
Mr. PC wrote: and they could include Vitamins A, D, K, and some omega 3 (it's possible to include it in Capsules), then I think it would be pretty cool, although it's quite expensive.
Vitamins A, D, K and omega 3 are fat soluable. I don't think they can suspend those vitamins in a water base. These vitamin water bottles are water based.
Mr. PC wrote: In theory, if the vitamins were bio-available,
I do not know if these vitamins are bio-available. But I do know that I would like to know if the sources of these vitamin supplements within these water bottles are chiral molecules. Sometimes supplements are fortified with artificially made molecules and they come in 50-50 of chirality, and I would not want my body to waste time on digesting molecules that are in the wrong mirror formatting.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I've never heard of chirality; what's the issue with digesting vitamins in the wrong mirror formatting? It takes more time, or it just doesn't happen? Or side effects?

Wouldn't fat soluble vitamins be suspended by the omega 3 (which is a fat)?
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Mr. PC wrote:I've never heard of chirality; what's the issue with digesting vitamins in the wrong mirror formatting?
imo.
Best case scenario is that: nothing much will happen.
It just wastes energy and time; your body takes it in, then it has to take it out.
Your body will
break it down, if it can.
take it out, if it can.

But what if it can't?
Then the molecule stays inside you.
Worse case scenario is that: the wrong mirror formatting of that chiral molecule may interact negatively with other molecules in your body.
It is impossible to know all the potential interactions that that molecule would potentially interact with.

Now why do I stay away from supplements?
There is a chance that some types of molecules synthesized in the lab may contain the 50-50 split of mirror molecules.
Versus molecules synthesized in plants or animals will likely process molecules in a biologically useable format. I hope.
So for now, as a blanket rule for myself, I think vitamins should be from biological sources, until I am sure that synthesized molecules are safe.
I have very little knowledge on how vitamin are synthesized, but I do know that I won't be taking any supplements until I figure out how they make it in the lab. Plus there might be all the residual and filler compounds that they might add to suspend a vitamin in a medium.

We do know that some racemic mixtures (50-50 split) of some types of molecules can cause problems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racemic
That would be the case of the drug Thalidomide, that was intended to decrease morning sickness in pregnant women, but it caused pregnant women to give birth to children with birth defects.
Wikipedia wrote: While often only one enantiomer of the drug may be active, in cases like salbutamol[6] and thalidomide, the other enantiomer may be harmful. The (R) enantiomer of thalidomide is effective against morning sickness, while the (S) enantiomer is teratogenic, causing birth defects. Since the drug racemizes, the drug cannot be considered safe for use by women of child-bearing age,[7] and its use is tightly controlled when used for treating other illness.[8] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racemic
But to be fair some synthesized molecules even when presented in 100% correct mirror formatting, becomes racemic in vivo (inside the body).
Wikipedia wrote: In some cases (e.g., ibuprofen and thalidomide), the enantiomers interconvert or racemize in vivo. This means that preparing a pure enantiomer for medication is largely pointless. However, sometimes samples containing pure enantiomers may be made and sold at a higher cost in cases where the use requires specifically one isomer (e.g., for a stereospecific reagent); compare omeprazole and esomeprazole.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racemic
And it is not like labs cannot make the correct molecules, sometimes they sell racemic mixtures because it is cheaper, instead of taking an extra step to seperate the molecules that are only in the useable mirror image.

So that means you will have to be careful on the type of molecule you ingest.
You will have to ask: Is that molecule okay for me?