Small or big meals.

Other than specified below
Fredster
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Small or big meals.

Post by Fredster »

So. I am so very curious.
I understand the logic behind the many-small-meals way of eating. I understand that it's a very good way to control blood sugar and to keep both the sugar and the insulin on a healthy level. And I do believe that keeping insulin low is the most important key to general health. I also believe that this is the best way to do it. Better than the so popular intermittent fasting methods that are so much talked about right now. Even if they too keep the insulin level low, but maybe in a (for the body) more stressful way.
But. I don't like eating many small meals. I like big meals.
So I have a theoretical question about this. Can it really be so bad to eat big a couple of times a day instead of grazing all day long. When I do eat breakfast and dinner I feel really fine, but I am a little worried that the larger (relatively) insulin spikes may cause health problems that I will only notice sometime in the future.
Here's a theoretical example about two alternatives.
A. To eat 10 oranges between 9 in the morning and 7 at night. One orange every hour. With coconut oil. Trying to keep the 2:1 ratio of sugar and fat with every meal.
B. To eat 10 oranges between 9 in the morning and 7 at night. 5 oranges for breakfast at 9 and 5 oranges for dinner at 7. With coconut oil. Still trying to keep the 2:1 ratio of sugar and fat with every meal.
The only difference would be the amount of sugar and fat per meal. Ceteris Paribus as the old Romans would say.

Would it really be such a big deal if a person would choose alternative B, if it would suit his/her lifestyle a lot better and if he/she actually feels very good eating that way? Not experiencing insulin spikes or blood sugar drops.

Oh, and don't worry, this is just an example. I don't eat only this. I actually eat a pretty big fruit sallad with yolks and fat for breakfast and dinner, with a little steak tartar and avocado as an "apetizer" at 5 p.m. So I hope I get all the nutrients I need. The orange example above was just for easy comparison.

So, guys, what do you think?
Oscar
Administrator

Re: Small or big meals.

Post by Oscar »

The 2:1 ratio doesn't have anything to do with the amount of extra insulin needed for glycogen/body fat conversion, it's just a (minimum) guideline for the energy ratio the body needs.
I don't know how much of a burden it would be, but at least I suppose you won't feel on top of your energetic potential all the time, which is another benefit of small(er) meals.
I think the reason you like big meals better is because you are/have been used to them.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Fredster wrote: Would it really be such a big deal if a person would choose alternative B, if it would suit his/her lifestyle a lot better and if he/she actually feels very good eating that way? Not experiencing insulin spikes or blood sugar drops.
No matter how good you feel, eating big energy dense meals always comes with insulin spikes.
The problem is that with this diet you will consume lots of simple sugars,
as compared to starchy meals, so that you will quickly get a big insulin peak,
which will stop you from consuming more.
With starchy meals, your stomach will be already full when the insulin peak starts to kick in.
If you want to eat big meals on this diet, the only good way to do so, is by consuming big salads
of low-sugar fruits, such as tomato-cucumber-avocado salads.
That way you can consume quite some food without having too deal with too big insulin peaks,
as it takes some time to digest all that food and 'release' the available sugars.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The point is, that the condition of our teeth has been influenced by following a harmful diet. Also, the current state of dentistry is based upon experiences with those kind of diets. We need to determine how teeth react when diet is far less harmful than it has been. So far it seems they either do fine right away, or need some time to adjust, during which they are vulnerable.
To draw the conclusion that we're supposed to eat bigger meals because some people's teeth are more vulnerable, is therefore quite premature.
greengrape

Post by greengrape »

My appetite wants me to eat fewer big meals, but I understand why eating several small meals is more beneficial. It's really hard for me to train my body to eat that way, though. I just want to eat 3 meals and be done with it. It's hard to break the habit.
A healthy diet is skin insurance.
panacea

Post by panacea »

Yes it is, the 'full stomach' feeling is an addictive feeling - try and focus on your energy levels, how energetic and alive you feel to gauge whether you need to sip more OJ or eat another snack fruit.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

When you eat fruits and raw animal food only, you are forced to eat many more meals a day.
That is because its virtually impossible to eat so much fruits/juices in one meal that the energy lasts for 5 hours.
And if you would manage to do so, it would make you feel bad,
as most of those sugars are simple sugars, spiking your blood sugar level way too much.
In practise, on this diet, you will be undereating when consuming less than 5 meals a day,
which will eventually make you lose weight, feel tired and depressed.
WaiWay

Are Big Meals Bad?

Post by WaiWay »

Based on my schedule, it's hard for me to consume 8-9 "meals" a day. So I was wondering if it was alright to be consuming big meals in small sitting; for example: eating 3-5 fruits at once, then going a few hours without eating any. Would my blood sugar fluctuate even if I consume sufficient fat? The freeacnebook says to avoid this, but I was wondering what effect it would have.
dime

Re: Are Big Meals Bad?

Post by dime »

Yeah it will fluctuate, huge rush of insulin released at once is everything but good.
dime

Insulin, IGF-1, and acne

Post by dime »

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index. ... -and-acne/

Sounds like yet another possible explanation, besides our dirty proteins / water retention theory?

The wai diet still works under that theory too, dairy and similar stuff that increase IGF-1 are eliminated, insulin is kept under control, amount of protein is kept low, etc.
WaiWay

Post by WaiWay »

Hmm... that was an interesting post! You're right, this probably also explains why the Wai Diet is so effective. Check this out: http://www.acne.org/diet-and-acne.html

Also, Dime, why would blood sugar be spiked if you consume a lot of fruits in one sitting BUT with sufficient fat?
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

It is hard to predict exactly how much you're blood sugar will be spiked.
This also differs individually.
If you are active, you can handle much more sugar a time.
Fat, but also fibre, makes sure sugar is absorbed in a slower rate.

I think you can actually try a blood sugar meter (diabetici use them), if you want to be really sure.
dime

Post by dime »

WaiWay wrote: Also, Dime, why would blood sugar be spiked if you consume a lot of fruits in one sitting BUT with sufficient fat?
I don't know, because it's a lot of food at once? Test with the blood sugar meter if you want to be sure.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Insulin, IGF-1, and acne

Post by RRM »

dime wrote:http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index. ... -and-acne/
Sounds like yet another possible explanation, besides our dirty proteins / water retention theory?
It does not explain how salt can cause acne.
So, Its just an addition, and small meals are better for everybody.
dime wrote:
WaiWay wrote: Also, Dime, why would blood sugar be spiked if you consume a lot of fruits in one sitting BUT with sufficient fat?
because it's a lot of food at once?
Yes, the bigger the meal, the more insulin is spiked.
WaiWay

Big Saladlos

Post by WaiWay »

Is it alright if I consume a really big salad in one sitting? Since there isn't much sugar (tomatoes/cucumbers), I'm assuming my blood sugar would be fine, but would it be detrimental to my digestion in any way?