Affordable Wai

Other than specified below
Mr. PC
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Affordable Wai

Post by Mr. PC »

I searched for this and couldn't find a thread on it, so I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread containing ideas on how to make the wai diet more affordable / cheap / cost efficient / low budget. (Yes I'm adding buzz words so this will show up in the search results.

Recently my big plan was to use store bought concentrated juice, which has the primary setback of being too acidic, and secondary faults of containing not enough nutrients and some anti-nutrients (even if you buy the low-acid). 2 ways to set this back are baking soda (which creates sodium when mixed in with the acidic juice) or calcium carbonate (which would give you too much calcium). There is also the option of switching to commercial apple juice, which is less acidic than commercial orange juice but still too acidic.

Frozen fruit, where I live, tends to be equally expensive to fresh fruit, however canned fruit is often significantly cheaper. (From my experience it hasn't seemed too acidic, but I'd like to hear RRM's view on this.)

Eggyolks generally come in the varieties of regular, Omega 3 (flaxseed fed), free-run (allowed to roam in open concept barn), free range (occasionally allowed outdoors), and organic (means different things in different countries). Some people will only purchase certain kinds of eggs for moral reasons, and in some countries eggs will contain antibiotics, so purchasing regular eggs may or may not be an option. I've read that farmers markets can be cheaper, however where I live farmers markets tend to be more expensive (they've become a fad).

Frozen Salmon is also cheaper than fresh; I've been eating it for years without any consequence (that I've noticed).

And of course, you should be able to get around 50% of your calories from refined white sugar, without suffering from nutrient sufficiency (assuming you're otherwise 100% wai). I don't know how this works out if you're using the less-nutritious commercial juices.

This is pretty much everything I know about saving costs (besides the obvious, buy fruit on sale). Any other info would be much appreciated.
abicahsoul

Re: Affordable Wai

Post by abicahsoul »

Which continent do you live on? I guess not Europe? (cuz then shopping at Lidl would help out greatly.. even if it is still expensive, I can't get under €10 for a day, and often a bit over, due to 2.5-3L OJ €6,60)
The thread is a good initiative, since I am also looking for/hoping for a way to eat that eats less of a hole in my pocketbook... :P So far my best bet has been to hunt the weekly best prices in the neighborhood, walking to the different stores and checking online delivery, but that's always more expensive..
I believe a mix of whole fruits and some fresh homemade juices are the best way to save money.. I am thinking too much apple juice is a problem since apples doesn't contain at all the same amount of nutrients as oranges, as far as I understand..? I think a certain amount should at best be oranges and other fruit with high nutritional value?
Canned fruits? Aren't they pasteurized or sth?
Frozen fish seems like a good option, perhaps check out what other alternatives you can have in that department.. there are other fish than salmon?
Other than that is to see if you can get home deliveries of larger quantities of fruit for a lower cost? buy bulk and store? If you have such facilities in your house..
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I've also had frozen Cod, Sole, and Tilapia, all of which are generally cheaper, but I'm not sure if there's a significant difference in nutritional value from Salmon. I know Salmon tastes way better.

I don't know where I would go to buy in bulk (besides the internet, which doesn't have a lot in Canada, and I don't think I'd save anything ordering from the U.S. after shipping.
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

No I meant, if you find out where the grocery stores/supermarkets get their fruit in bulk, maybe you can buy directly from there.. and perhaps even have delivery? Dunno, just an idea. Here it is difficult, cuz you have to have a company to be able to buy gross/bulk usually. But it is challenging to make it more affordable. ;-)
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Grow your own stuff. No matter where you live, you can grow tomatoes and most berries indoors. Pesticide free and a great learning experience, and much better tasting than mass-produced supermarket fruit.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Do you grow stuff, Bacchus?
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I'd be very interested in the details of growing indoors. Is it practical? Could you give us any details about the process and your experiences Bacchus? I've read it's possible to grow avocados indoors, from the pit of the avocado (which I go through plenty of).
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

Because we eat so much fruit it is hard to see how this could be economical though.. You would need to have space for a smaller fruit orchard.. :D
dime

Post by dime »

Yeah, growing yourself would take just as much work and money, unless you have the proper conditions, like good climate, big garden, etc.
E.g. back at home I have about 30-40 fruit/nut trees, also grapes and melons around the house. The climate is pretty much perfect but even then it doesn't work perfectly; you can keep the nuts through winter, but the fruits, you eat as much as you can during late spring/summeer/early autumn, what's left goes into some sort of boiled juice. Growing all that indoors would be quite an investment, better get a good job instead I'd say :)
dime

Post by dime »

A better investment in my opinion would be to get some chicken, I had about 10 chicken and from them I was getting 6-7 eggs/day on average. And you shouldn't care so much about indoor/outdoor, mine had a small open house and they were fine even in winter when it's getting down to -20C.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

I have no personal experience of growing indoors or outdoors as of yet, but I have just rented a small piece of land where I plan to grow a few different berries, amongst other things. Mostly for the learning experience, but in the future I plan to live somewhere warm and grow most of the food I eat.

When it comes to growing indoors I know that smaller tomato plants are absolutely viable, and berries should work. However Google can tell you much more than I can on that subject.

But if you live in an apartment in the city and you are not willing to make a lifestyle change I don't think it gets cheaper than buying the worst quality fruit and getting as much as your calorie intake as possible from table sugar without suffering from lack of nutrition.
Iris

Post by Iris »

abicahsoul wrote:Because we eat so much fruit it is hard to see how this could be economical though.. You would need to have space for a smaller fruit orchard.. :D
Why? Every piece of fruit you harvest is one piece less you have to buy, right? It's not like you have to grow ALL your fruits yourself when you decide to grow some at home.
We have a relatively large yard (compared to similar Dutch houses), and grow our own grapes, raspberries, strawberries a.o. berries, apples ,pears, and we used to have a HUGE cherry tree. It covers for only a small amount of what we need, but I'm always very glad when blossoms appear and fruit starts growing.
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

I meant - INDOORS :D First the suggestions was about indoors, as I understood.. But outdoors - sure fine... :D That's great for everybody that has such facilities!!! i'm all for it!
And yes, go ahead to grow indoors, but that can only be a fraction of all the fruit we eat, right?
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I wish there were enough similar minded people in my neighborhood to start a community garden. Has anyone ever tried such an endeavor?

Also, we do have some space in our yard for gardening, but I think fruit trees would be a huge investment. I know in Canada we can grow tomatoes; what else would be practical during the summer months of a generally colder climate?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

@abicahsoul: just turn your living room into a garden! ;)