Beetroot (juice)

Other than specified below
dime
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Beetroot (juice)

Post by dime »

I think I'll buy a juicer, primarily for bananas (I'm missing magnesium and potassium in my diet) and a bit of oranges, and possibly for juicing some vegetables like beets.
Beets actually seem more like fruits, pretty high sugar and low fiber.
fred

Re: Reaching CP 60 24/7

Post by fred »

I'll try beetroot juice as soon as I find some raw.
dime

Re: Beetroot (juice)

Post by dime »

I think I'll try just beetroot first, not juiced, to test it. Juicing still equates to a cleaning mess I have to deal with in my mind so I'm trying to avoid it if ever possible :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

In the Wai diet, beetroot(juice) is considered a medicin rather than a food.
Beetrootjuice has been shown to lower blood pressure.
Beetrootjuice has a very high antioxidant capacity and level of polyphenols. Wootton-Beard PC et al
Its high in pentosanes (1.1%) and hexosanes (0.5%), polymeres of sugars (each with 5 or 6 carbon atoms), which are partly bacterially decomposed in the intestines, causing gasses. (in fruits, depolymerization by enzymes is part of the ripening process)
Its also high in oxalic acid, which readily combines with minerals, inhibiting their utilization.
It contains 0.2% polyuronic acid, which readily binds with magnesium (and other divalent cations), inhibiting its utilization.
(again, in fruits, depolymerization is part of the ripening process)
Beetroot juice contains 640 mcg nitrite and 169 mg nitrate / 100 g. (drinking beetroot juice does increase serum nitrate and nitrite levels Christensen PM et al)
It contains betaine, which, in conjunction with s-adenosylmethionine, B6, B9 and B12 reduces serum homocysteine.
wiki wrote:ml of beetroot juice, containing approximately 5mmol of nitrate, was found to reduce resting blood pressure by 2% and increase the maximum duration of apnea by 11% in experienced divers
Kasper

Beetroot (juice)

Post by Kasper »

My urine is red after drinking beet juice.
Is this normal ?
dime

Re: Nitrate

Post by dime »

I think so, it's not blood but some red pigment that is in beets.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeturia
dime

Beetroot (juice)

Post by dime »

Kasper wrote:My urine is red after drinking beet juice.
Is this normal ?
Happened to me too, I slow cooked some beetroot along with the meat, and both urine and stool ended up red.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Nitrate

Post by RRM »

dime wrote:
Kasper wrote:My urine is red after drinking beet juice.
Is this normal ?
Happened to me too, I slow cooked some beetroot along with the meat, and both urine and stool ended up red.
Yes, thats totally harmless (and even acts as an antioxidant); its one of the pigments in beetroot, betanin.
Its also used as a food additive (E162).
Its not broken down by the body,and therefore ends up in your urine.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

An estimated 10-15% of all U.S. adults experience beeturia (a reddening of the urine) after consumption of beets in everyday amounts. While this phenomenon is not considered harmful in and of itself, it may be a possible indicator of the need for healthcare guidance in one particular set of circumstances involving problems with iron metabolism. Individuals with iron deficiency, iron excess, or specific problems with iron metabolism are much more likely to experience beeturia than individuals with healthy iron metabolism. For this reason, if you experience beeturia and have any reason to suspect iron-related problems, we recommend a healthcare consult to follow up on possible issues related to iron status.