Bacteria: The Final Frontier?

Other than specified below
panacea
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Bacteria: The Final Frontier?

Post by panacea »

Which wai foods have the highest bacteria, and how can I find out for myself?

For example, I would guess egg yolks have higher bacteria than raw beef, but I'm not sure.
What about oranges, do they typically have a high bacteria load compared to cooked food?
Aytundra

Re: Bacteria: The Final Frontier?

Post by Aytundra »

panacea wrote:how can I find out for myself?
You need agar plates, swab liquids from the foods you want to test onto the plates, grow them in the sealed plates for a day, then compare your labelled plates.

I like the site that Emeira found on washing fruits, they did bacteria experiments at home: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2125
http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/w ... vegetables
Maybe that site will help you make your own experiment.
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

panacea wrote:What about oranges, do they typically have a high bacteria load compared to cooked food?
Immediately after cooking, cooked foods will have extremely low / zero bacteria levels.
Oranges naturally contain bacteria.

Your gut interacts with exogenous bacteria.
Gut functioning co-depends on bacteria.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

But is the bacteria in an orange really significant? Will it even survive the stomach acid?

I've read that even the bacteria in yogurt won't survive the stomach acid (with the exception of Activia, which adds an extra non-yogurt probiotic).

And I'm guessing the kind of bacteria will matter more than simply 'how much'. Trying to learn anything about gut bacteria seems extremely difficult. Maybe the bacteria in raw meat will do nothing in our guts. Or maybe it'll feed some beneficial bacteria.

Even commercial probiotics, which are supposed to have pedigree strains proven to have health benefits in humans... what specifically are these bacteria doing? Lining the gut? Eating pathogens? Helping with digestion?

They say no bacteria we can consume will last in our guts more than 2 weeks, but clearly that's not true, since we're born with no bacteria at all, and obtain it through our mother's vagina, milk, food. I think we need more research (and freely available info) on what bacteria does what.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

People with weak immune systems can get serious ill due to food borne bacteria, so yes, they do matter.
And even the thiniest bit of bacteria may be signficant, in as much that vaccinations are about the exposure to tiny bits.
But yes, a lot of research needs to be done in this field.