Sequential eating?

Other than specified below
avo
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Sequential eating?

Post by avo »

How much of a difference does eating sequentially make?

Eating sequentially is having the wateriest, easiest digested food first, like melon, followed by more dense, like banana, and then most concentrated food, like avocado, nuts, or oil.

I think Wai indirectly reccomended this type of eating. For example, it is common advice on the Wai site to eat fruit, and then have a few bites of salad with oil afterwards. What would happen if you had the salad bites first? Does it make a difference? I think Wai wrote it this way for a reason.

I think I can notice a difference in digestion when I have a spoon of oil after eating enough fruit, compared to mixing it all together at once. Would it be noticably different if I had, say, the oil first and then a banana?

Does anyone follow sequential eating practices (beyond just the fruit first, fat last thing) and do you have any testimonials regarding it?
nick

Post by nick »

I can recall reading that Wai said to not eat fat then fruit. This was in regards to the salad as this could cause cramps.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Eating sequentially- and proper food-combining is something I'm very interested in. There's tons of great information out there. Here's just one link and quote. Because you mentioned Melon :)
Do not consume melons with any other foods. Watermelon, muskmelon, honeydew melon, cantaloupe and other melons should always be eaten alone. This is possibly due to the ease and speed in which melons decompose.
http://www.internethealthlibrary.com/Di ... bining.htm
avo

Post by avo »

By eating melon alone, do you mean nothing else, or is oil ok? I used to just have it by itself, but recently I started having oil afterwards.
avalon

Post by avalon »

If you're following WaiDiet, then oil is needed to maintain your sugar balance.

But if you are following the natural hygiene take on this, I've read several places that specifically say to eat melon alone, but that has to do with the rate at which the sugar from the melon hits your system, which is rather immediate...I think :)

If you're talking 'food combining', then you do not do the oil. If you do some research there are many combinations of food combining, but usually, melon, is left to itself. And I'm not sure if that includes all melons???
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Most food combining schools of thought teach to eat all melons alone. Not mixed with anything encluding other melons. Supposedly they digest quickly and should not be held up in the stomach with other things. This completly contradicts what is taught here. I mean mixing with oil to slow the sugar abosrbtion.

I'm totally confused. I have to keep telling myself natural isn't always best. I tend to think, if we have to have olive oil (something that isn't found in nature) with our fruit in order to eat fruit, maybe we shouldn't be eating fruits at all or that much.

I used to almost be a fruitarian. that is how I found waisays. It seemed to fit with what I was doing. lately I have been reading about low carb and no carb diets to see why they believed what they do. If what I am reading from the low/no carb sights is true fruit is something I'd avoid or at least have in much moderation.

Sometimes I just think we can eat mostly fruit and be health or mostly meat and be healthy (there are examples of this in some cultures today). What I mean is as humans we are very adaptable.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Yes, I agree that we are very adaptable.

However, I do notice that wheat is not good for me to consume. I think I will lay it altogether in the future.

I regularly attend dinner events where I eat some munch-food - mostly raw, or cooked, but healthy food. What I notice is that I cannot eat as much as I used to, otherwise, I get a huge indigestion problem.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Dr. Stanley Bass wrote an article on fruit.

http://naturalhygienesociety.org/articles/drbass1.html

It appears his conclusion was to not only reduce the amount of fruit, but to consume many of the less sweet fruits. And if you read his article he spent years trying different things...icluding eating only fruits.

Maybe substituting the oil with a more natural fat would be more in line with the natural approach.
huntress

Post by huntress »

A very interesting article Avalon. Thank you. :D I believe it is time for me to reduce the amount of sweet fruits. Been on it for almost 7 months now and my health is not getting any better. :( Just recently, I am beginning to feel under the weather again. I've tried to cut down the fruits but it was hard. How do you manage to eat so little sweet fruits avalon?
dadasarah

Post by dadasarah »

I've found I have to eat melon by itself before or without fat. But other fruits mixed with oil, or even eaten after an avocado, don't give me stomach problems. We all have different sensitivities!

Huntress, does eating small amounts of fruit after fat give you stomach problems? I find it helps when my blood sugar's off. Plus, have you tried eating more egg yolks, like with (almost) every meal? Do you crave sweet after a fatty meal (like avocados and egg yolks)? Or do you feel better? Or do you just think about sugar all the time and how to get your next fix? :?

I've quit eating dates (too sweet, yuck!) and I'm back on the nuts. If you don't get constipated, you could eat more nuts too???
"Dada is the sun. Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police." - Richard Huelsenbeck
avalon

Post by avalon »

huntress:
How do you manage to eat so little sweet fruits avalon?
I don't know :) you know...still winging it. I should have said acid and sweet fruits...But One 'sweet' fruit in the morning is all I want. Sometimes it's only half, if it's a large orange. Usually a whole banana(maybe smoothie), or half an apple... plus some nuts, either Brazil or walnut.

The tomato/cucumber salad is a staple with me now, but of course I don't see it as I do morning fruit, which is more desert like.

I just bought some summer squash, which I haven't had in a long while. That'll be fun to have again.

For a long time I'd been doing the banana/oil smoothie for breakfast, but have been eating the banana plain lately. It's easy :)

I used to eat a plate of scrambles eggs, sausage, half an apple and some walnuts! That was my Atkins breakfast.
huntress

Post by huntress »

Dadasarah,

The combination of fats together with fruits does not give me stomach problem. I've cut down my intakes of egg yolks from 7 to 2 a day ever since I found out that it was the cause of my acne. Yes I do crave for sweet fruits after a high fat meal which makes me want to eat more and more fruits. But still, even without the fats, I still do crave for fruits and would proceed to stuff myself until I can no longer but still have the urges to do so. I might also add that my energy levels has been poor since the past 3 months. I can only now dance for 30 minutes and if I go any further, I would feel terribly dizzy, nauseated, and on the verge of blacking out. I was able to dance for 3 hours straight but not anymore.
Or do you just think about sugar all the time and how to get your next fix?
That too. But this is after I've eaten a HUGE load of sugar.

About nuts, I stay away from it because it also gives me acne. =(

Now that I've laid everything out, it seems clear to me that I have not much variety to eat but raw animal food: fish, beef, buffalo...

Avalon, by winging, did you meant 'adapting'? If so, then it makes sense because since fruits contains sugar, it would surely cause a mild sugar addiction to a person, but it is felt to a lesser extend compared to the addiction you get from refined sugars like table sugars and sugars found in confectioneries. Since you've been consuming very little sweet fruits for a while, you've come out of your addiction to the sugars in fruits. If I recall correctly, you once said that you could never stop with just one sweet fruit and would consume the whole fruits in the basket? True?
avalon

Post by avalon »

Yes! Awfully still, I would have no problem eating all the fruit before me. It is a conscious decision to eat just one. So if I only have one banana in a bowl, that's it for me :) I put everything back in the frige before I sit to eat, if it's half an orange...otherwise too tempting.

There sure doesn't seem to be just one answer out there, so it's good to keep open...just in case.

Despite my occasional concerns for animal rights etc., I am still eating raw meat and fish.

cheers, huntress
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Huntress,
Have you tried the egg yolks alone? Like with a dash of OO only? No fruits?
Maybe mixing is causing acne.

John,
There is natural and optimal: Naturally our ancestors ate fruits and there wasn't any OO because yes it is a processed food but one that doesn't get altered that easilly during the procedures (if done properly).They got their daily fat (and animal protein) through small animals like worms, ants that were in or around the fruits. Also the natural fruits then were not as sweet as our fruits now so we need to compensate by taking a bit of OO. As we do not eat worms and fish is availlable to us now we chose to eat it.
We can treat ourselves (unlike our ancestors) to the (optimal) Wai diet of fruits/OO/fish/egg yolks
Fruit/oo combo works fine for me. I try to keep my protein intake separate now so i eat Egg yolks with fish or alone with oo.

:D
avalon

Post by avalon »

Corinne,
There are too many variables in this world of ours to determine as yet, what our 'optimal' diet really should be, and whether it isn't actually the natural approach. maybe we'll never know as it was stated, for now at least, there are the low carb, the high carb, the no carb, the no meat and on and on and many convincing arguments abound for each.

As you I do believe Wai 100% to be optimal because it strives for an all 'natural' diet, save for the table sugar, which I believe has no place here except for athletes perhaps, but not for health. At least OO is minimally processed and pure, so as far as health goes, it's a good thing. But there are believers out there who will not consume anything that did not exist in paleo times. So no sugar, no oo, no toothpaste, no deodorant, no floss...just like vegans believe eating meat even fish is wrong. Except for those who do. That animals, even worms have a right to a life of their own.

The confusion is real and I think unanswerable, to the degree that anyone with an open mind and a conscience can decide for certain which of all such possible truths is true for all.
As we do not eat worms and fish is availlable to us now we chose to eat it.
Sometimes the worms are IN the fish. :shock: Sorry, couldn't help myself.