3 questions about nuts and egg yolks

Other than specified below
andyville
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

3 questions about nuts and egg yolks

Post by andyville »

Hey RRM,

I have three questions for you that I would love to hear your views on.

1. What are your experiences with eating nuts, when trying to eliminate acne? It seems like quite a few people on these boards have taken nuts out of their diets because they caused break-outs?

2. If nuts are such a natural and nutritious food, then how come a certain portion of the population has allergies (sometimes even deadly ones) towards ingesting even the smallest amount of nuts?

3. If the egg yolk is such a super food, how come so many people (me included) seem to have very strong aversions towards it, taste wise? I often find myself forcing the yolks down, trying to think about something else. My point is that such strong aversions towards a certain food should tell us something - that it is not good for us! Or am I missing something here...? (The reason I am trying to force them down is that I seem to miss out on something when I stay completely raw/vegan, and I suspect it might be B12 and good cholesterol.)

All the best
Anders.
benzapp

Re: 3 questions about nuts and egg yolks

Post by benzapp »

1. What are your experiences with eating nuts, when trying to eliminate acne? It seems like quite a few people on these boards have taken nuts out of their diets because they caused break-outs?
I don't think I've noticed a huge trend of this... I would surmise that obtaining fresh nuts is extremely difficult. Here in New York, one of the major ports and transportation hubs in the US, it's still quite difficult to find anything other than fresh coconuts. Many times I have tried to go to a different supplier, and gotten supposedly 'fresh' nuts that were quite dry.
2. If nuts are such a natural and nutritious food, then how come a certain portion of the population has allergies (sometimes even deadly ones) towards ingesting even the smallest amount of nuts?
Allergies in general are becoming more and more common, and there are many competing theories. It is very much a Western phenomenon however. Go to Brazil and find the natives who eat brazil nuts as a staple. You won't find one who is allergic to nuts.
3. If the egg yolk is such a super food, how come so many people (me included) seem to have very strong aversions towards it, taste wise? I often find myself forcing the yolks down, trying to think about something else. My point is that such strong aversions towards a certain food should tell us something - that it is not good for us! Or am I missing something here...? (The reason I am trying to force them down is that I seem to miss out on something when I stay completely raw/vegan, and I suspect it might be B12 and good cholesterol.)
You likely have been socialized to feel this way.

In general, the post-war era in western countries has been characterized by a morality that abhors violence and death in all its forms, despite the fact all forms of life must kill another form to survive. If you have eaten a vegan diet, chances are you strongly agree with this morality and still have a difficult time reconciling that morality with your needs as living thing.

Moral convictions greatly affect how people perceive the world. Of this, there can be no doubt.

We can take your argument and reverse on you: Why would anyone eat a vegan diet when it is totally unnnatural and will lead to death, if it wasn't for modern technology?
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Hi Andy,
Do you eat your egg yolks pure? Have you tried different combinations? Like ey+banana, or ey+oj and ey with oo? Also mixing them in a fruit shake...
I would also agree with Benzapp that the influence of social conditioning is not negligeable. I can imagin that it feels wierd for a former vegan to eat egg yolks...
But nevertheless I find them delicious.
good luck!
RRM
Administrator

Re: 3 questions about nuts and egg yolks

Post by RRM »

andyville wrote:1. What are your experiences with eating nuts, when trying to eliminate acne? It seems like quite a few people on these boards have taken nuts out of their diets because they caused break-outs?
Like BenZapp, I havent seen a big trend either.
Its just that for some people eliminating nuts may help. Personally, I can very well eat fresh nuts, like walnuts, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts or Brazil nuts without any negative effects on my skin.
As BenZapp said, allergies are more common nowadays. Its still a minority though.
3. If the egg yolk is such a super food, how come so many people (me included) seem to have very strong aversions towards it, taste wise?
Again, I agree with Ben.
In the beginning I didnt like the yolks very much either, but now I really love them (sweet & creamy, vanilla-like, very satifying), especially in combination with avocado; absolutely delicious!!!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Regarding the taste of egg yolks, I think it's also the idea of eating a raw egg, that grosses many people out, before even tasting anything. But raw egg yolks have been part of quite a few (mediterranean) desserts for centuries.
Marty

egg yolks

Post by Marty »

I feel that if you grow up eating lots of raw foods, you easily extend that acceptance to other raw foods, without even thinking.

Many of my Chinese friends are horrified by raw foods, having grown up in places where human waste was used as fertilizer, and foods were always cooked.

My Japanese friends think raw is no problem; raw egg yolks on sushi were eaten from the time they were young; they are willing to try anything raw. My Korean friends, the same (raw octopus, beef, etc.). In the U.S., it seems to come from a socialization about germs/bacteria and always cooking things; a tremendous phobia about natural things and also 'dirt.'

Americans are insane, aren't we....
avalon

Post by avalon »

I grew up with a Sister, 1.5 years older and a Brother, 7 years younger and for some reason I am the only one in the Family who loves Sushi/Sashimi and eats raw foods- egg yolks, Steak Tartare etc. I'm not sure why.

Maybe one has to grow up watching Star Trek :) Where there are many different colored foods that look like wood blocks and strange alien diversities so that later in life when presented with a plate of Sushi, it's not such a foreign idea. You know it's being eaten. You see people right in front of you eating it. Okay I'll try.

I remember my first Sushi experience, I ate too much the first time and gagged. I think it was the clam. I actually detest raw clam. It's so... clammy! :oops: Somehow though, some time later, I tried Sushi again and was hooked. I still avoid clam :oops:

Also I hate to say this but the first time I ever even knew eating raw eggs was any sort of thing, was while watching Rocky in 1976! Years later, I tried making a smoothie with orange juice, banana and whole raw eggs and loved it.

Monkey see monkey do I guess... :)