Raw hemp protein

Other than specified below
CurlyGirl
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Raw hemp protein

Post by CurlyGirl »

Before I started Wai's diet, I was using raw, organic hemp protein as a supplement in my fruit smoothies. It is made from hemp seed, nothing else, and the label says it contains all 10 essential amino acids, with 45-50% protein per serving, a well-balanced ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6 essential fatty acids, and is a good source of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA).

Would this count as 'clean' protein on this diet (i.e. since it is certified raw and cold-processed), or should I count it as a munchfood, or not consume it at all? Any thoughts, anyone?
nick

Re: Raw hemp protein

Post by nick »

Good question, but I don't much about hemp. I would probably just skip it and follow the diet without it. The more protein doesn't mean the better. I would say that more than likely that it isn't clean protein, expect the worst.

You will absorb all you need following the diet. Same with the omega fatty acids. RRM would know for sure, but I guess I don't see the point of it.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Hemp seeds are not meant to be consumed by humans. Unlike fruits, they dont 'use us to spread their seeds', because if they are food for us, we need to destroy them.
Fruits are made as attractive as possible, so that we eat them and spread the undigested seeds that we swallow.
The seeds themselves (any seeds; from fruits, plants, grains) are made as unattractive as possible, containing anti-nutrients and even poisonous compounds, to prevent being consumed, because from these whole seeds new trees / plants need to grow.
Of course there are animals that are specialized in consuming plants with seeds, but they have what we dont; 4 stomachs for example.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Thanks, RRM and Nick for your replies. My dilemma is solved - the hemp protein is going into my compost heap. It suddenly appears to me like the expensive supplement that it is, promoted by raw food 'experts' like David Wolfe who sell it on their websites as a miracle food.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Going from a raw food diet to the Wai diet makes things a lot easier. No raw chocolate, hemp seed, goji beans, etc. I had the same experience. :)
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

RRM wrote:Hemp seeds are not meant to be consumed by humans. Unlike fruits, they dont 'use us to spread their seeds', because if they are food for us, we need to destroy them.
Fruits are made as attractive as possible, so that we eat them and spread the undigested seeds that we swallow.
The seeds themselves (any seeds; from fruits, plants, grains) are made as unattractive as possible, containing anti-nutrients and even poisonous compounds, to prevent being consumed, because from these whole seeds new trees / plants need to grow.
Of course there are animals that are specialized in consuming plants with seeds, but they have what we dont; 4 stomachs for example.
Arn't nuts destroyed by eating them? Nuts are seeds right?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Nuts are a bit tricky, I think. Nuts are technically speaking one-seed fruits. The outer shell is the fruit part, the kernel is the seed part.
johndela1

nuts

Post by johndela1 »

So like an almond, part of it is really not supposed to be eaten?
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

Pre Wai I ate hemp seeds, and didn't notice any difference in my health good or bad.
Then I ate hemp oil which made my brain work much better!
Then I made hemp milk which made me feel bloomin' awful.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think nuts can be eaten without problem (assuming they're raw, self-shelled, in good condition). We can eat the seeds in fruits, because we are suposed to eat fruits. We cannot digest those seeds anyway. Hemp is a plant, which we are not supposed to eat, and as such also not its seeds. I wonder how raw hemp seeds, plucked in the wild, would actually taste. Anyone?

So every nut is a fruit, containing a seed, which we can eat. Not every seed is contained in a fruit.
avalon

Post by avalon »

So..

if every nut is a fruit
but not every seed is contained in a fruit
then every seed contained in a nut that
resmbles a fruit might actually be
a seed and not a nut in a fruit :wink:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

LOL Exactly! :D
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I was wondering what the actual ratio of amino acids is for hemp seeds.

in http://www.13.waisays.com/ if you scroll down it lists hemp seeds as having a high Serotonin production factor because of the high tryptophan to phenylalanine and leucine ratio, which wai considers a good thing.

Also tryptophan is easily damaged by heat and I think one of the more scarce amino acids, so wouldn't it be good to consume with other proteins to create a more even balance?

Like how the wai-site says you can combine fruits to get all the amino acids; wouldn't that mean hemp-seeds are a good supplement to a diet low in tryptophan?

I feel like it's not enough to just says something is 'Natural' or 'Unnatural', every diet makes that claim; I think scientific backing is more important.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote: if you scroll down it lists hemp seeds as having a high Serotonin production factor because of the high tryptophan to phenylalanine and leucine ratio, which wai considers a good thing.
Yes, but thats particularly about the serotonin production factor.
Not about how well it is digested, anti nutrients etc.
so, only if you have 'serotonin issue', you may consider it.
Also tryptophan is easily damaged by heat
Yes, but this is a raw food diet, so that the tryptophan does not get damaged.
and I think one of the more scarce amino acids, so wouldn't it be good to consume with other proteins to create a more even balance?
Yes, but it is never in the top 4 (methionine, cysteine, phenylalanine, tyrosine)
and its THE most scarse amino acids that determine protein quality.
So that unless you are heavily supplementing the named 4, it doesnt make sense to
supplement tryptophan to try to improve protein quality.
I think scientific backing is more important.
True.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

So kindof off-topic, what foods contain a highest ratio of methionine, cysteine, phenylalanine, and tyrosine.

And would eating these foods theoretically counteract the negatives of eating low-quality protein?