career change

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
CurlyGirl
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by CurlyGirl »

Oscar wrote:I believe we have a body, mind and soul/spirit. This division in three has been argued before, only named differently, like the Id, Ego & Superego from Freud. Ideally speaking these three whould be in perfect harmony, in perfect balance. In our 'rational' society, the mind is deemed the most important, and hence our thoughts and reason speak louder than our inner feelings (soul/spirit) and body signals.
The over-emphasis on the mind (or rather, the intellect) in our society has certainly governed my career choices over the past few years. As I have said in other posts, I'm now ready (and more willing than ever) to start listening to my inner feelings ('gut' - strange how we connect our digestive tract with our intuition) and move into a career that involves my heart and hands as well as my mind. It has taken me a long time to get here, so I could perhaps argue that the 'gut' feeling should not always be acted upon immediately (if so, it could get some people into trouble, as John and Chin-Chin seem to suggest), but, if left to 'mellow' slightly (without too much interference from one's more self-critical and rational capacities), the decisions one's gut provokes can indeed be life-changing. At least, in my case. What I mean is, gut decisions do not by definition need to be immediate. They can be 'background noise' for several years, even decades.
tjfillion

Post by tjfillion »

Corinne,

I forget, how far away are you from the AT training course? Because I really don't think that would be that difficult of a transition. It would take up some time everyday, but then you could still teach and perform almost as much as you used to. You wouldn't have to quit your job or anything like that. Many Alexander teachers are musicians and vice-versa, so it has worked in the past. As a teacher you'd be choosing your own hours more or less, so it could easily weave in between your music lessons. The only problem is the tuition costs, but they're not outrageous or anything.

Now if you live far enough away that you would have to move to train ... that would cause more transitions... but people in Amsterdam play music too and take lessons so it's very possible.

And! People will allllllllllways be in pain so there's no fear in not having students ;)

Not sure about natural vision. I know it would be fun to teach, but I don't know what the market is like. I'm sure it's doable though. It's another part-time, pick your own hours deal, so you can still teach other things.

It definately is scary. For the longest time I've planned on going into business and getting rich... and working my ass off and dealing with unreasonable, bitchy people Now I'm pretty much doing the opposite and going into something that will help myself and others but won't make me a ton of money. But it's so worth it. It's a different lifestyle ... and it's sometimes hard to remember why I'm doing something so much more different than everyone else my age. But I know how it feels to be balanced, calm, light, and genuinely happy. So I don't go back.
huntress

Post by huntress »

Hi tjfillion! I haven't seen you in the forum for a long time! How have you been? I know I said I was very interested in the Alexander Technique in the past but I am seeing some similarities between AT and pilates & yoga. So I feel like I am doing the AT as well when I am doing pilates and yoga. But thank you for your long post on the AT!
Now I'm pretty much doing the opposite and going into something that will help myself and others but won't make me a ton of money. But it's so worth it. It's a different lifestyle ... and it's sometimes hard to remember why I'm doing something so much more different than everyone else my age. But I know how it feels to be balanced, calm, light, and genuinely happy. So I don't go back.
I am glad for you! You know what people...today was a very eventful day for me and it lead me to think about my future in academia and I finally got a clear path as to where I am going to go next. The past 2 years has been like a dream and I am glad to be awaken from that dream and to finally know where I am going to go. Only problem is....how am I going to convince my parents? Eeeppppsss...... :oops:
tjfillion

Post by tjfillion »

yeah i've been having my doubts on the diet lately. It's hard for me to get enough energy. I'll reach a point where I have low blood sugar and an upset stomach and an inability to drink more juice ... it just won't go down ... no fun. Plus I didn't have results in my acne after 2 months so I started using medication again. I went on vacation, and during that time I started eating cooked food. I hated the feeling of addiction when I ate ... losing control and pounding down food .... but I also liked the stable energy. I can't forget though, that at first I felt literally naseous and like I was going to vomit after cooked meals. Very similar to the feelings of food poisoning ... so now I'm playing with the diet ... still trying to follow it and if I can get it down then I'll go off the meds. But honestly, I really like having a slow-burning energy sources. It's nice to eat a lot and then be good for a few hours without having to worry about my energy levels. I feel like this would be much easier for a girl. When I hear of people consuming 2500ish calories a day I get so jealous. 4000 is much more work ;)

AT and pilates/yoga have some similarities, but i would really try at least one AT lesson. Some AT teachers also teach yoga or pilates, so there's something they find in the Technique that isn't offered in the other, and vice-versa.
nick

Post by nick »

tjfillion wrote:yeah i've been having my doubts on the diet lately. It's hard for me to get enough energy. I'll reach a point where I have low blood sugar and an upset stomach and an inability to drink more juice ... it just won't go down ... no fun.
I went on and off the diet for about a year and each time I did I got better at it. So maybe it will take some time.

However, you need to eat much more often. Juiciing makes it easier because you can just carry it around whereever you go.

Your stomach problems could be from the type of olive oil you use or perhaps the oranges aren't ripe enough?
Plus I didn't have results in my acne after 2 months so I started using medication again.
Those sugar lows likely could have caused more outbreaks.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

huntress wrote:You know what people...today was a very eventful day for me and it lead me to think about my future in academia and I finally got a clear path as to where I am going to go next. The past 2 years has been like a dream and I am glad to be awaken from that dream and to finally know where I am going to go. Only problem is....how am I going to convince my parents? Eeeppppsss......
huntress :-D Could you give us some more details about this? Where have you decided to go?
tjfillion

Post by tjfillion »

Probably something amazing if her parents aren't likely to support it :lol:

Oh and i found something for you huntress!

http://pilatesandalexander.com/

a website that discusses the relationship between pilates and alexander!
tjfillion

Post by tjfillion »

Nick, those all sound right. I think the OO is ok (after my 8th brand), but the oranges are probably not the most ripe. I must confess I'm using pateurized right now, because since I'm eating munch foods and on the meds, there's no point in going hardcore. I'm just testing my energy management. BUT over summer when there's time I'm going to try again, and only squeeze oranges when they're really ripe, with the peel very soft and just about to mold.

Thanks.
tjfillion

Post by tjfillion »

http://www.alexandertechnique.com/resources/#Yoga

oh and here's some yogo/alexander articles. i'm on a roll!
huntress

Post by huntress »

Thank you very much for those links tjfillion :D