Insulin Spikes and Small Meals

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
avalon
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Insulin Spikes and Small Meals

Post by avalon »

Good morning, I have a question.

I understand the idea of spreading out many small meals during the day to keep blood sugar levels balanced and maintain energy stores. And by adding oil/fat to fruit meals/juice you also prevent insulin spikes, yes. And extend energy.

My question is, say you only eat 4-5 meals a day with suffient oil/fat to keep levels balanced- what's the difference with 9-10 meals a day? regarding insulin levels.

Thanx, Avalon
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Consuming 4 or 5 meals instead of 9, you will be ingesting more energy per meal, so that a lower percentage of the energy ingested is actually used to replenish blood energy, and higher the percentage of energy stored as fat.
Of course, in between meals stored fat (and glycogen) is utilized again, but that means that a larger ratio of the ingested energy is being stored and subsequently utilized again, which means more insulin secreted.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

If I eat five meals a day and don't over eat, I am going to be storing fat?

Why would I store fat if I don't eat more than I need per day or even per 2-3 days? From what I've read, we dont' put on fat at the time we overeat but maybe days afterwards if we still have too many calories. I mean overeating at one meal the missing the next should balance out.

Are there any studies that show by eating the same amount of calories per day over 9 meals will make one leaner than that same amount over 3-4 meals?

I've read just the opposite that eating all the calories in less meals give the body time to digest and regulate.
avalon

Post by avalon »

If I may go out on a familiar limb here, John, again we find our dilemma. There are multiple answers acording to multiple sources. Say RRM's answer seems correct. Yet, X,Y and Z seem to be right also- man this is how it is!

X, Y and Z plus RRM- make some kind of sense! Even relying on scientific studies is risky. Because over and over studies contradict each other. Where does that leave us? Pretty much to our own belief systems and who makes more sense. Or, who did a more reliable study. If RRM makes more sense to you, then logically you would learn his way, until you believe otherwise. And certainly based on how you are feeling. If you are feeling 100% that's a pretty good sign you're doing good. And we'll see you on the corner of 42nd st. screaming your truth to the world :shock:

The more I learn the more I question.

Best wishes, John
Avalon :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:If I eat five meals a day and don't over eat, I am going to be storing fat?
We store fat every day, in as much as burn bodyfat every day.
Its the shift of the balance that determines whether you gain or loose bodyfat.
Why would I store fat if I don't eat more than I need per day or even per 2-3 days?
With every big meal you store fat, and even when meals are consumed too much frequent (regarding their size), you store fat.
We store fat, and we loose it.
From what I've read, we dont' put on fat at the time we overeat but maybe days afterwards if we still have too many calories.
Its quite simple:
Your blood energy level is very strictly regulated, so that any excess energy has to be stored. Initially, the etra energy may get stored as glycogen, but if these are full, the extre energy goes into bodyfat immediately. It cannot go anywhere else 'in the meantime'.
I mean overeating at one meal the missing the next should balance out.
That totally depends on the level of energy in your glycogen depots.
Are there any studies that show by eating the same amount of calories per day over 9 meals will make one leaner than that same amount over 3-4 meals?
I dont know, but thats not the point. Sure, if the calories are exactly the same, there will be no difference in net results, just in fat turnover (storage and subsequent utilization. My point is that with every big meal you stora fat that needs to be re-utilized again. If you do, fine, but generally thats where the problem is.
I've read just the opposite that eating all the calories in less meals give the body time to digest and regulate.
Sure, but thats a whole different issue, isnt it?
van

Post by van »

I hope that someone steps up to the plate and has their and other's blood sugar insulin levels checked by someone who knows what they are doing. Small meals, fruit with oil, fruit without oil, no fruit, .... the options are many. But this should be at least one of the bases for true inquirey. Not that ' today I am feeling better than yesterday'. Pancreases eventually were out when abused, and belefe systems can often obscur one's objectivety.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I had no idea that fat was so trasient, if that is the right word. I thought you would burn muscle before fat. That seems to be what many people say. I'm kind of confused now.
avalon

Post by avalon »

van wrote:
I hope that someone steps up to the plate and has their and other's blood sugar insulin levels checked by someone who knows what they are doing. Small meals, fruit with oil, fruit without oil, no fruit, ....
You would think someone somewhere has done this. Has anyone done a search on this or are aware of any studies they couold post?
avalon

Post by avalon »

From an internet article:
After a meal, glucose molecules are absorbed into your bloodstream and carried to the cells, where they are used for energy. Insulin, a hormone produced by your pancreas, helps glucose enter cells. If you take in more glucose than your body needs at the time, your body stores the extra glucose in your liver and muscles in a form called glycogen. Your body can use the stored glucose whenever it is needed for energy between meals. Extra glucose can also be converted to fat and stored in fat cells.

When blood glucose begins to fall, glucagon, another hormone produced by the pancreas, signals the liver to break down glycogen and release glucose, causing blood glucose levels to rise toward a normal level. If you have diabetes, this glucagon response to hypoglycemia may be impaired, making it harder for your glucose levels to return to the normal range.
What if my meals aren't Big meals. And what if I don't take in more glucose than my body needs? Regarding my energy expenditure. Then we won't always be storing fat, right?
avalon

Post by avalon »

Would a blood glucose meter be an appropriate instrument for testing? I have one that I could use.

I'll be visiting My Mother for a few days, but when I return maybe I can set up a few experiments.

Best wishes,
Avalon :)
nick

Post by nick »

van wrote:I hope that someone steps up to the plate and has their and other's blood sugar insulin levels checked by someone who knows what they are doing. Small meals, fruit with oil, fruit without oil, no fruit, .... the options are many. But this should be at least one of the bases for true inquirey. Not that ' today I am feeling better than yesterday'. Pancreases eventually were out when abused, and belefe systems can often obscur one's objectivety.
I've had several blood tests which showed that my sugar was fine.
However, this wasn't a fasting glucose test.
I can say from an external point, that I have acheived perfect energy levels throughout the day. I never felt tired and when I was bored with something, I would move on to the next thing to keep myself interested.

The first month was the hardest, then the next few months were less hard, you got better at listening to the small nuances of your body, then after 7 months, I could listen to my body perfectly. It was quite amazing.

However, I went to see a Homeopath who said my adrenals were overworking and that this might have something to do with a high sugar intake. However, I'm curious as to how to got to this conclusion. I would really like to do more blood tests and see what exactly is going on inside while on this diet, just for empircal proof.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

van wrote:I hope that someone steps up to the plate and has their and other's blood sugar insulin levels checked by someone who knows what they are doing.
In the past some people on this diet have done so, with perfect results.
Anyone who wants to have his/her levels checked, can do so.
johndela1 wrote:I had no idea that fat was so trasient, if that is the right word. I thought you would burn muscle before fat. That seems to be what many people say. I'm kind of confused now.
Generally, things like this are presented in a simplified way, to make things clear. In truth, these processes are more complex and coincide.
When the blood glucose level is low, more muscle is burned. When the blood glucose level is stabilised, more fat is burned. All relative. There is fat turnover every day and muscle turnover every day. Its about shifting the balances.l
avalon wrote:What if my meals aren't Big meals. And what if I don't take in more glucose than my body needs? Regarding my energy expenditure. Then we won't always be storing fat, right?
No. You always will be storing some fat if your meals are somewhat big. But thats totally okay, as you are also burning fat 24/7. Its about the balance of storing / burning.