Fish for Thought; when we've used up all fish...

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
AnnGrazjun
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by AnnGrazjun »

I consider myself an optimistic realist, as you, Avalon, probably are. I respect, but disagree with your beliefs. Everyday our planet is getting more and more burdened with...more everything. The natural factor of this world is becoming depleted as we speak, and to replicate/clone is something that takes away the whole effect of nature to begin with. Knowing this world will just keep getting sicker doesn't mean all hope is lost. Honestly, if you found out the world was going to end in 10 years, would you really start smoking again, drink heavily, and eat crap?? :oops: I hope not, because you've obviously overcome such obstacles so why redo the damage to yourself? When we die, how can we justify our acts by saying that the end was bleak so there was no need to bother? Nobody can take away the self-sacrafice you've made for yourself, only you can. 8)
Everything we touch turns to gold...then to sh_t
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

AnnGrazjun wrote:Yes, but we all know that a world like that will never be...

Isn't an optimistic realist a pessimist in denial? ;)
Positive thinking isn't knowing the world is going down the drain while trying to maintain hope, but knowing the world is going to be better even though it doesn't look like it yet.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Ann wrote:
Everyday our planet is getting more and more burdened with...more everything. The natural factor of this world is becoming depleted as we speak, and to replicate/clone is something that takes away the whole effect of nature to begin with. Knowing this world will just keep getting sicker doesn't mean all hope is lost.
I hear you. At the same time as with most things there's a complexity here. The world's in trouble. Most people are too busy managing their neighborhood lives to care. Many people will chose cheap eggs over free range because of the cost. Some people will act to try and save this planet, as they are doing now all over the world. They do this because they believe it's possible and important.

I thought years ago on the news, it was said cloning was illegal. Or, was that only for humans? I'm shocked that all of a sudden cloned meats are being aproved for consumption! Without labels even!

If I thought the world was going to end, I might not start smoking again, but a bottle of wine and a pizza would be just fine. Cigarrettes are too expensive now :D

If I could eat anything I wanted and not gain weight and keep my health(not in any order of importance)(and if the animals didn't mind me eating them):

1. Chili with sour cream, melted cheese and onions
2. Banana cream pie
3. Pecan pie
4. Green apple and grape licorice
5. Pizza(assorted)
6. Spaghetti carbonara!
7. Super Beefy enchiladas
8. Pringles
9.Sugar pops
10. Coco puffs
11.Eggs Benedict
12. Whopper with cheese
13. Subway sandwich
14. Popeyes fried chicken!
15. White Russians(the drink :wink:)
16. Chicken Pot Pie
17. Hot dogs
18. Swiss rolls
19. Mashed potatoes heaped with butter and sour cream
20. Prime Rib!
21. Bacon!
22. Black and white Milk shakes

I'm continually trying to be better and do right. The videos on goveg of animals being slaughtered are horric! I don't want to even hurt fish! I hope I can find the way to live with the least amount of 'pain and suffering' imparted to these other living creatures. What makes us very unique(as far as we know) is our conscience, and sense of regret. Unlike animals who kill for food, we have the ability to change our mind, and diet. This is important. If we stopped eating fish and left the oceans alone, oh hell, I forgot, it's too late :cry:
AnnGrazjun

Post by AnnGrazjun »

Oscar wrote:
AnnGrazjun wrote:Yes, but we all know that a world like that will never be...

Isn't an optimistic realist a pessimist in denial? ;)
Positive thinking isn't knowing the world is going down the drain while trying to maintain hope, but knowing the world is going to be better even though it doesn't look like it yet.
lol, like I haven't heard that a thousand times. I guess it depends/difference of opinion, maybe you're right, but maybe not. There is a fine line between the two, and it can easily be interpreted as one or the other. I tend to see the world with a frank, honest, realistic sense of reality, and reality isn't that pretty. In the past five years I have studied our environment, agriculture, war, politics, population, and what the future beholds for us, and all signs point to an eventual downfall. So from what I've researched (while majoring in political science), there is strong evidence that we can 'curb' our destruction, but never actually stop it. I'm not saying it is imminent, but this world is doomed to end in our hands, sure we might survive by colonizing other planets, but that's something I won't touch. 8)
AnnGrazjun

Post by AnnGrazjun »

avalon wrote:
I'm continually trying to be better and do right. The videos on goveg of animals being slaughtered are horric! I don't want to even hurt fish! I hope I can find the way to live with the least amount of 'pain and suffering' imparted to these other living creatures.
Avalon, you've showed a great deal of courage by watching the video, I'm impressed. It's not often people choose to watch, even when forced to, the gruesome images of slaughterhouses. I've yet to get my family and many of my friends to watch, all of whom vehemently avoid the vids due to its graphic nature. I swear, if they actually watch it, most of them will surely make a change of heart, just as I have. I hope you keep at it and stay strong! :o
avalon

Post by avalon »

Ann, those images are burned in my brain! And I remember screaming out loud, well, gasping- I made that OH NO! noise. It's true, if it's seen how could it not be affecting.

You wrote:
...there is strong evidence that we can 'curb' our destruction, but never actually stop it. I'm not saying it is imminent, but this world is doomed to end in our hands, sure we might survive by colonizing other planets, but that's something I won't touch.
Maybe it'll only be us that go the way of the dinosaurs. The world, hurting and barren may heal after a time. Thousands of years? Milions? The microbes and roaches may still be here to carry on. We certainly wouldn't be the first civilization to go bye bye :cry:

Best wishes to you,
Avalon