Fish for Thought; when we've used up all fish...

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
avalon
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Fish for Thought; when we've used up all fish...

Post by avalon »

So what will we do, or what will happen when we've used up all our fish?

http://earthsave.org/news/fishwhat.htm
As vacuuming fish from the sea has grown easier and fleet sizes have ballooned, fishers have achieved the once unimaginable—they've begun to strip the seas of their genetic wealth. Industrial innovations permit fishers to scoop an astounding 80 to 90 percent of a given fish population from the ocean in any one year.[10] Individual species have been ushered to the brink of extinction, and predator-prey relationships that evolved over millennia have been grievously disrupted.[11]

There's more. As preferred species are overfished and lose commercial viability, fishers switch to less-desirable species lower in the food web. This robs larger fish, marine mammals and seabirds of food, creating additional havoc.[12] And since less-palatable species earn fishers less money, they must catch more of these fish just to maintain their incomes. Where will it all end?
AnnGrazjun

Post by AnnGrazjun »

Thanks for this wonderful post avalon! I myself have been a vegetarian from watching the atrocity being committed to the masses of farm animals on a daily basis. I used to eat meat knowing that it was once alive, BUT after seeing the extreme cruelty they go through, I could no longer do it, especially knowing that their diet consists of their own dead calves, dead dogs and dead cats, and others... So with seafood my only other option of a meat-source, I only ate fish for a while. That is until I realized that our fish population in the oceans are depleting to the point of no return, so then I ate farm-raised fish ONLY...Now I had enough of ALL the inhumanity we've brought upon living creatures of this planet, so I don't eat anything that once had a heartbeat. :cry: btw I live in the US, and treatments of farm animals differ in every country...I believe we are the worst of the worst when it comes to cruelty.
Everything we touch turns to gold...then to sh_t
avalon

Post by avalon »

Thanx Ann for your post. From a sad heart, for once you start thinking of these creatures as more than food, it begins to hurt. I haven't yet given up Fish or Eggs, but a post like yours encourages me to. Do you eat eggs? If not what is your protein source?

Sincerely,
Avalon
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

I just want to say i have no issue in killing animals for food, as long as your man enough to kill it with your two bare hands.
Negativity is the cult of the weak
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I can steal eggs and kill fish, but im certainly 'not man enough' to kill a cow or any other mammal. (unless it would be an issue of survival, I guess... but im not sure)
AnnGrazjun

Post by AnnGrazjun »

The only thing I encourage people to do is not only know the truth, but experience it. Whether by video or other sources, once you learn exactly what the animals are put through, you'd think twice about your next order of steak at a restaurant. I do believe we as human beings should eat meat, but at what cost?? Avalon, I do eat eggs, but I'm very careful on who/where I buy it from (Don't let the words 'cage-free' or 'all-natural' fool you, it's just a marketing ploy...If it's 'free-range' then that's the one you'd want to get). I've had nightmares for the first month or so from watching these hidden videos of factory farms, it's an excruciating experience, one that I'll never forget because of the scars, internally, it's left me. The people who work there ALL eventually lose their sanity from the conditions they have to work with, and they commit horrifying acts of cruelty and lash out against the animals. If your career revolves around cutting, chopping, de-beaking, or mutilating living, breathing creatures, then I'm sure any sane person will go beserk, and that's just the kind of people they have working there. Sad to say
:(
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

indeed, it is...
AnnGrazjun

Post by AnnGrazjun »

BTW my boyfriend is a semi-vegetarian, he only eats fish for meat. He always looks for labels with the 'farm-raised' tag on it in order to stop supporting the catastrophic onslaught on our oceans fragile ecosystem. He also says a little prayer (as we're both agnostic) for the fish he's about to eat. "I'm sorry for all the pain you went through, but just know that I am grateful for your sacrifice and will eat in thankfulness." I think spiritually, it helps heal/connect him with nature, an energy that he feels with the life that once was.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I agree. We can look for opportunities to support or discourage practices which might lead us to a better environment/animal treatment. At present I'm looking into getting organic farmed salmon.
AnnGrazjun

Post by AnnGrazjun »

That's great to hear Oscar! It all comes down to personal responsibility and integrity of the individual...too many people nowadays throw their hands up and give the same 'If everyone else is doing it, so will I' mindset. My brothers and sisters are all meat-eaters, and I respect that. But it's funny how ignorance can cloud even the most opportunistic mind...I offered to show where their meat comes from, but they reject it every time, saying it's wrong and too much to bear, yet still gorge on their flesh. See the hypocrisy?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yeah, I know what you mean... "Ignorance is bliss".
avalon

Post by avalon »

Awareness can be a tough road. I agree with all you said Ann. Perhaps, if the planet sustains itself long enough we'll figure out a way to eat without causing suffering, or, stealing life.

Best wishes to you,
Avalon
AnnGrazjun

Post by AnnGrazjun »

Yes, but we all know that a world like that will never be... That is why I urge everyone, especially on this very forum, to stand out amongst the media-happy crowd. All of us here have already done that, but we can go even further. I have been criticized by friends and family for being different, for not being 'normal' like everyone else. Physically I am gorgeous, not to flatter myself, but it's true. But I AM different in respects to what I choose to believe and do, cause anyone in my shoes would easily go for a modeling job instead of fighting for those who don't have a voice of their own...just my 2 cents ;) :)
avalon

Post by avalon »

Ann wrote:
Yes, but we all know that a world like that will never be... That is why I urge everyone, especially on this very forum, to stand out amongst the media-happy crowd.
Sigh :cry: It is feeling that, but hoping and working for better that makes this all worth while. Just as the Bear population is returning from near extinction here in the States, maybe we'll fix things eventually. Maybe Captain Kirk will travel back in time and save the Whales. That isn't quite a joke. One day, there may be one human left, and with his/her last breath will throw a switch that will clone all the animals in some lab somewhere to re-populate the planet.

If it will never be as you say, then truley what is the point. I'll start smoking again, eat crap and drink till I hit the floor. 'Standing out' won't mean a thing if one knows it is hopeless...
avalon

Post by avalon »

p.s. Just as some small obvious examples-

Free range eggs.

Organic produce

Grass fed Beef, Bison, Free range Chickens, wild fish...

Organic dairy, raw milk etc.

This is all a relatively new re-awareness, showing consumers will pay more for purity and a natural caring of our food supply.

Some one, some where is cataloging every life form's DNA on the planet, in some lab...

Just in case... I hope