Family First Timers

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by johndela1 »

My dog has been eating raw chicken, eggs, and other raw meats for years. She is 10 and looks like a 3 year old. When I meet other people with dogs that say there dogs are old (and the dogs look old), I ask how old are they, some people say 10. She has never been sick that I can tell.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Hey John and avo, I'd very much like to hear your feeding plan. Meat, organs, bone? Portions? Do you use a mix?

Thanx, Avalon
avo

Post by avo »

Sure.

I looked into it a bit before starting, and I actually began with a pre-made, frozen raw food diet. Northwest Naturals or something.

As of a month ago, both pups are eating 2 or 3 times a day (ideally 3, but it is tough for me). They eat about 5-8% of their bodyweight daily, depending on how active they are.

The smaller one gets 2-3 chicken legs (drumsticks), part of a chicken back (or 1-2 chicken necks), a few handfuls of chopped beef heart, a small chunk of kidney and/or calf liver. Oh, and some salmon pieces. I will introduce egg soon.

The bigger gets 3-4 legs, 1 chicken back, 1 chicken neck, a few handfuls of the heart and salmon. And a couple pieces of liver/kidney too. Occasional egg (whole).

They both love marrow bones, and love to bite on the bones after the marrow is long gone. I give occasional rawhide 'bones' that I buy at work, as treats.

That about sums it up...
avalon

Post by avalon »

Thanx! Up till now I've been using Sojourner farms mix with raw beef, chicken or fish. But I found a site that suggests like you are doing- prey method. With organs and bone and meat. I haven't tried it yet, maybe this week we'll start with some chicken necks.

Thanx again! Great to hear people are leaving canned/dry for real food.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

When I go shopping I buy raw meat in general. What ever cuts are the cheepest. Sometimes I buy whole chickens. Drumsticks, wings, thighs, ground beef. I give her an egg or two from time to time and she also gets liver (beef or chicken).

My dog's diet varies, based on where and go shopping and what is available.

Right now my freezer has, tons of beef because it was on sale
avalon

Post by avalon »

Sales are good :D