Eating insects

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
dadasarah
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Eating insects

Post by dadasarah »

It's been said on this forum and elsewhere that our original animal food might have consisted of mostly insects. I've been researching insect eating, and apart from the initial "yuck"ness aspect, the idea appeals to me. Especially since we're looking for a house with a backyard, and I'm eager to grow/raise as much of the food on this diet as possible, to cut cost and improve nutrition. Mealworms seem to be easy to raise, with little space, compared to chickens. Apparently, they're also relatively tasty raw. They can be eaten while wriggling or killed in a few minutes in the freezer if you don't like your food to still be moving. Also, they can be dried (I think Gavriel mentioned dried insects somewhere...) RRM, any concerns with this?

Mealworm Nutritional Info: Fat 27.2%, Protein 49.6%, Carbohydrates 6.9 grams/100, Calories 471 calories/100 grams
"Dada is the sun. Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police." - Richard Huelsenbeck
Frost

Post by Frost »

they look like a good alternative to egg yokes and sashimi
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Any additional info about omega3 and protein quality?

Sounds like an ambitious but great idea. :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

It seems a good idea to me and maybe worms are also worth considering, though i wouldnt eat them myself (for 'yuk' reasons) unless nothing else was available.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

sounds like a great idea...

specially if you want to raise your own food

I'm going to look into this, too
Frost

Post by Frost »

il keep it in mind for the future, but im good with eggs right now. however, keep me posted i want to see if this can actually be effective for when I get a garden
Frost

Post by Frost »

you can get rid of your peels and extra food waste and then just eat it back in tasty worm form lol.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Frost wrote:you can get rid of your peels and extra food waste and then just eat it back in tasty worm form lol.
Yeah exactly, the worms eat the organic waste. :)
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Frost wrote:you can get rid of your peels and extra food waste and then just eat it back in tasty worm form lol.
'worm form'

heh...
overkees

Re: Eating insects

Post by overkees »

This would be a great idea for me in the future!

Have a few chickens, dump alot of organic waste in a large container, put meal worms and/or other insects in et voila! I can provide myself with the insects which are very rich in omega 3 acids and also my chickens!

I believe we were insect eaters a long time ago. They have a lot of proteins. And Im guessing their protein quality is very high. I do know they have a lot of omega 3 fats opposed to the other fatty acids.

According to the theories we are only eating fish for like 30.000 years or less. And we were poor hunters. Its hypothesised that we ate alot of insects and eggs and alot of fruits/nuts if it was available in our environment. The only meat we ate were baby animals and left overs that weren't eaten by the big predators. Possibly eating the brain.

Fish however is very delicious and a great source of, well, pretty much everything. But if we would like to stick to our roots. We have to start eating insects again. Fruit, insects/eggs/brains. Maybe thats the key that unlocks the hidden doors of the old and legendary atlantis. So paradise on earth can happen again <3 :D.

Btw, a few months ago I made contact with an entity that was resemblant of a mantis and told me that eating insects was the only way humanity could keep on living here on earth. I don't know if it was a multi-dimensional intelligent insect or just my imagination, but i never researched insects nutritional values and wasnt even on the wai diet. I was just starting my adventure in dietland. But it seems the thing was damn right. How I did it? Well my dreams are lucid some of the times (still training) and I can travel to other astral planes. This insectlike plane is technicolored and they communicate through high pitched buzzes and peeps. Pretty damn interesting.
dime

Post by dime »

I wouldn't think insect's protein quality is too high, compared to meat/organs/eggs. Highest protein quality for us would be what's most compatible to us, so theoretically other people but that's a bit unethical :)

Multi-dimensional insect, hmmm...
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dime wrote:I wouldn't think insect's protein quality is too high, compared to meat/organs/eggs. Highest protein quality for us would be what's most compatible to us
Insects not, maybe.
But maybe worms and larvae etc.
Maybe their protein make up is very similar to what we need...
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

overkees wrote:a few months ago I made contact with an entity that was resemblant of a mantis and told me that eating insects was the only way humanity could keep on living here on earth. I don't know if it was a multi-dimensional intelligent insect or just my imagination, but i never researched insects nutritional values and wasnt even on the wai diet. I was just starting my adventure in dietland. But it seems the thing was damn right. How I did it? Well my dreams are lucid some of the times (still training) and I can travel to other astral planes. This insectlike plane is technicolored and they communicate through high pitched buzzes and peeps. Pretty damn interesting.
Not to diminish your efforts and explorations, but I read/heard that Astral Plane entities aren't always reliable sources of information (contrary to Causal Plane entities). Sounds like interesting travels though. :)
panacea

Post by panacea »

But maybe worms and larvae etc.
Maybe their protein make up is very similar to what we need....
I think it's also highly dependent on what the insects are fed also, much like everything else (plants and soil, animals and their food supply). I remember reading about a study from Thailand that found some species of ant larvae, which is a delicacy there, was most nutritious when the ants were fed rice, crickets, and fish.

Insect food is the future, pound for pound they are vastly more efficient in terms of cost in space required, manageability, risk for losses, etc. And even if there were only giant ants the size of cows they would still be more efficient because they're cold blooded, so they don't waste energy keeping warm and need less food.

I don't think feeding worms your peels is a bright idea though, all of the peels unless you grew them yourself will have pesticides/insecticides on them, either killing the worms, making them sick, or just putting those chemicals into the worms, right?
dime

Post by dime »