tests and mice

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

tests and mice

Post by johndela1 »

What kind of mice should I use to do testing? Are there special clones you get or somethng?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I found this place:

http://jaxmice.jax.org/orders/essentialinfo.html

If I am going to test some mice for different diets and amounts of calories should I use all male or all female so I dont' end up with tons of babies?
Frost

Post by Frost »

well, test females seperately then males, should get more interesting results.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

RRM probably knows, he has looked into mice for research.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I hope to hear from RRM.

I'm going to buy some cages and stuff today. I want to get everything ready.

I'm just wondering if I just get mice from the pet store if they would be good enough.

If I order them, I can get mice that have less variables. Same age, same genes (clones, I assume), etc.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Any opinions?

I'm thinking rats would be better. From what I am reading they are less aggressive and live together better.

http://www.ahc.umn.edu/rar/MNAALAS/MiceRat.html
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think there are very specific mice that are used for scientific experiments.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I hope the sell mice to me...

You have to apply. They wanted my title so I said "independent researcher". They wnt to know that I have a vet, so I listed my local vet.

I'll be upset if they dont' sell to me. I am a ligit scientist and want to start practicing. I hope they don't (the way I see it) discriminate, because I don't work out of a university or have a PhD.

I also wonder how much they will cost. I don't expect them to be that expensive, but I hope I'm not in for a surprise.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Are there other mamals with a shorter life span than mice? Mice live for over two years. That would mean I'd get slow results.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

What test do you want to do?
I found that there are strict rules you need comply to if you want to get the mice / rats. You need to give the supplier the registration number of the test that you are going to do and you only get it once the test has been approved, and you only get it approved if you are from a registered organization and so on...
The mice dont cost that much, depending on the specie; about 8 euro each.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I wanted to do a group with the recomended calores and another with %75 calories to see if they live longer on if so how much longer.

Jackson labs seems to simply be ignoring my application...

I'm thnking a petstore may be my only hope. Maybe I can breed them so at lesast they are from the same family and the same age. (or a known age)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:I wanted to do a group with the recomended calores and another with %75 calories to see if they live longer on if so how much longer.
These tests have been performed already.
They do live longer; about 25%, I believe.
I'm thnking a petstore may be my only hope. Maybe I can breed them so at lesast they are from the same family and the same age. (or a known age)
One problem is that you need quite a few mice, and with larger groups of mice there are greater risks of diseases annihilating your population.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I want to do the tests my self to document that I am doinog actualy research. I'd like to verify the results my self and be able to say I have seen this first hand.

Do you think this has value? I'm trying to change my career. I feel that if I publish something (even a simply results of expirements) it will help my credibility.

I am attempting to move from software development to full time work as a food consultant/personal trainer.

I don't have a degree in bio or chem but have knoledge that I think can really transform peoples health. Just trying to figure out a way to gain credibility. I'd rather not have to maintain expiriments and focus more on marketing myself, practicing, and further learning.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:I want to do the tests my self to document that I am doinog actualy research. I'd like to verify the results my self and be able to say I have seen this first hand.
These are 2 different reasons.
The first one is valid, but it might make more sense to do tests that have not been done yet (there are many essential tests that still need to be done)
The second one is maybe not so valid. I know that many results of many test are very much open to interpretation (and scrutiny), but some tests are being done properly, and as they are scientific, we can rely on them.
Otherwise, every inidividual has to invent the wheel to be able to ride a bike, and thats not neccessary in my opinion
I'm trying to change my career. I feel that if I publish something (even a simply results of expirements) it will help my credibility.
Yes, and then it will help very much if you test something that brings about something new.
I am attempting to move from software development to full time work as a food consultant/personal trainer.
Excellent.
Just trying to figure out a way to gain credibility. I'd rather not have to maintain expiriments and focus more on marketing myself, practicing, and further learning.
Well, maybe we can eventually establish a group of people linked to eachother by agreeing on a basic understanding of how nature / health works, and how illnesses are best prevented. In such a group only a few have to actually do the tests, while others are required to do the marketing and practicing.
We are working on this.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

RRM wrote: We are working on this.
let me know if there is anything I can do to directly participate. I am open to taking radical steps.