waste; generation of faeces

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

waste; generation of faeces

Post by johndela1 »

I got into a debate with a guy at work. He says if you are fasting that you will still generate faeces from the burning of stored glucose, fat, and/or protein. I told him that faeces are left over stuff from what you eat. Things that have come into your mouth and passed through the gut.

Anyone know of any links that would explain this?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Faeces is the remainders of the food; the part of the food that is not taken up in the blood or lymphe system. Fiber, for example, contains energy, but is not utilized and forms the bulk of faeces. Faeces may also still contain some fatty acids and/or glucose, but solely as they remain from the food that you eat, not disposed there by the blood or lymphe. Why would the body deport valuable energy? It doesnt. It will eventually utilize all the energy that it distracted from the food.

Once they have been taken up in the blood or lymphe, the fat and glucose are just carbon, hydrogen and oxygen, and once utilised (oxidized) for energy, the CO2 and H20 leave your body by breathing, sweating and urinating.
Protein is comprised of the same building blocks, though it also contains nitrogen, and sulphur (methionine and cysteine), which also (after they have become redundant) leave the body through urination and sweating. Its mainly the sulphur and nitrogen (as ureum) that give your breath, sweat and urine a somewhat unpleasant smell. (more protein, more 'unpleasant')

When you are fasting, the faeces still produced comes from the food that you ate before you started fasting; those food remainders may take up to weeks before they are excreted; especially when you fast (as they are not 'pushed out' by the following meals).
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Do you have any sources for this info? I agree with you, but want to try to convince my friend at work.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Any book about basic human biochemistry that you can find in the library.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I tried googling and couldn't find anything. I'll split the $20 bet with you!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

ha ha :)
Just go to a normal library, where you have actual paper books. Then its easy to find.
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Paper books :shock:

:wink:
Negativity is the cult of the weak
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think it's in one of the books on one of the shelves!

:wink:
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

:::tasty library:::::
Negativity is the cult of the weak