elimination diet: "animal food has less toxins"

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

elimination diet: "animal food has less toxins"

Post by johndela1 »

I'm exchanging into with a person who eats almost no carbs and almost exclusively animal products.

They are telling me fruit is full of toxins (Salicylates)

http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.i ... lates.aspx

Is this accurate and if so is this something to be concerned about?
RRM
Administrator

Re: animal food has less toxins

Post by RRM »

That diet is about eliminating all possible triggers of allergies, not about eliminating toxins.
Yes, specific salicylates may trigger allergies (If you are susceptible), but they are not toxins. In as much as amines (fish is high in amines) are not toxins but may trigger allergies.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Aren't tannins toxins?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Tannins are specific for unripe fruit (in specific fruits, like the kaki fruit in particular). The purpose of tannins is to keep us from eating fruits until they have completely ripened (and the seeds are ready for being spread).
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

What do you think about this comment?

"The only parts of the brain that require glucose are the brain axons. On a purely carnivorous diet, this requirement is met through gluconegenesis, the conversion of triglycerides and proteins into glucose."
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I agree.
But... Our brain is not the only part of our body that needs glucose; so do our muscles (glycogen), so that physical activity may lead to lows in the blood glucose levels and thus to feeling less energetic and maybe depressed and/or aggressive.
Thats why we feel most energetic and happy on a high-sugar diet (if you eat often enough, of course)

Unlike herbivores, predators sleep a lot. The reason is that the carnivore body needs lots of time to converge all those proteins (and fat) to refill the glycogen depots.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

RRM wrote:I agree.
But... Our brain is not the only part of our body that needs glucose; so do our muscles (glycogen), so that physical activity may lead to lows in the blood glucose levels and thus to feeling less energetic and maybe depressed and/or aggressive.
Thats why we feel most energetic and happy on a high-sugar diet (if you eat often enough, of course)

I've been told this:
All the brain, or any other mass of cells, needs in order to perform its work is ATP. Potential energy stored in ATP can be derived from free fatty acids, glucose or ketones. (Ketones are the most efficient and less free-radical promoting of the three.)

Is this true?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, its true, but where that energy is (best) taken from differs per tissue / organ.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I guess that is really what the debate (the one I'm having with the zero carb crowd) is about. They believe the best source of energy comes from fat and protein. They say once your body adapts you will not have high's and lows even if you miss meals.

I seem to feel fine following either diet, so it is hard for me to do what feels best.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think you can only fully appreciate and understand the feeling when you've done a diet 100% for more than a year (give or take).

Looking back at my own experience with the Wai Diet, going 100% made a huge difference, and it took about a year to get to a point where I felt fully adjusted.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The downside of protein as a pure source of energy (I mistakingly wrote "protein") is that its not. Protein contains nitrogen as its required in compositional protein. Protein as a source of energy, the nitrogen is worthless and a burden, as it needs to be converted into (toxic) ammonium and ureum subsequently before its excreted. So, you eat it, take it up, disarm it and excrete it. A lot of work and burden for nothing.
Last edited by RRM on Wed 05 Dec 2007 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

When you say using protein as a protein source is the alternative getting the amino acids from other foods like fruit?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:When you say using protein as a protein source is the alternative getting the amino acids from other foods like fruit?
Im sorry, that was a writing error; it should have been "using protein as a energy source". I have corrected it.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

ok, got it