Mouse Experiments

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
jay
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Mouse Experiments

Post by jay »

As it turns out, I work in a decent sized medical research center which, among many other things, does quite a bit of mouse and rat imaging for medical purposes. I know that certain mouse experiments are in the works by some members of the forums to test the published hypothesis on osteoporosis being related to excess calcium consumption, so I thought that I might mention my connections in case they could be of some use.

First off, I'm a lowly graduate student that works on developing and engineering new imaging technologies, and I technically don't work with the mice, but I am sometimes involved in running some of the experiments and I also am able to suggest possible experiments in our brainstorming sessions.

One thing we do quite often that might be of use is image osteoblast activity using a radioactive tracer that attaches itself to active osteoblast cells. Once the tracer is injected into the mouse, we can then image the osteoblast activity in the mouse's bones. The intensity of photons collected by the imager is directly proportional to the amount of osteblast activity in the bones. It perhaps might be possible to see how increased calcium consumption affects short term osteoblast activity. Whether or not this would help validate the theory, I don't know. The mice do have to be put under anesthesia to be imaged and that might be expensive. I would also have to convince my professor that it is worthwhile.

Another thing I should throw out is that we recently landed a large grant to perform Alzheimer's studies on mice. Part of this grant is funding the development and building of what will probably be the world's most advanced mouse and rat brain imager (sounds lame, I know) which should be up and running by Summer 2008. The grant also covers running actual experiments in that imager as well. Right now, we are at a stage where I could probably suggest experiments to be run on the imager (given suitable justification, of course). So if anyone can think of experiments that could be run to validate the mechanisms listed for Alzheimer's here: http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/13/brain.htm then I could try and use my (somewhat limited) influence to get them done. I'll be trying to think of experiments, too.

Anyways, I can't guarantee anything because of my low position, but I've racked up quite a few, ahem, "personality points" that might allow me to suggest certain paths to be pursued. I also have access to one of the nation's largest medical libraries (emphasis on cancer, though) to help out with further literature research if needed. I'd be happy to help with anything I can.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Sounds good, thanks! :)
I'm sure RRM has some ideas about this.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Mouse Experiments

Post by RRM »

Interesting, Jay. Thanks.
jay wrote:It perhaps might be possible to see how increased calcium consumption affects short term osteoblast activity. Whether or not this would help validate the theory, I don't know.
No, not really. The theory is explicitely about the lifetime (very long term) effects of increased calcium consumption on osteoblast activity. The short term effects are not related to the long term effects as the body responds to and compensates for any changes in metabolism.
The mice do have to be put under anesthesia to be imaged and that might be expensive.
Yes, it is expensive, and would make the tests far too expensive. the experiment is already expensive because it spans about 3 years of keeping and feeding the mice / rats.
if anyone can think of experiments that could be run to validate the mechanisms listed for Alzheimer's here: http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/13/brain.htm then I could try and use my (somewhat limited) influence to get them done. I'll be trying to think of experiments, too.
Maybe one could monitor the direct effects of administring specific (mildly) toxic compounds that are present in our diet? (and also present in cigarette smoke)
Im talking about these well known compounds:
beta-carboline, Trp-P-1, Trp-P-2, 4-aminobiphenyl, MeIQx and Glu-P-1.
(for sources, see http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/13/cigarettes.htm )
I'd be happy to help with anything I can.
Thank you for your attitude and willingness, its essential!!!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I once read somewhere that there was a experiment with rats to give some scientific evidence for the calcium theory of this diet.

Is this true? Are there already any results ?
Thats the plan, yes.
No results yet, as the experiment hasnt even started yet,
because we still need to raise enough money for it.