Paleo Diet vs. Wai Diet

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
damian
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Paleo Diet vs. Wai Diet

Post by damian »

I just posted the following on the board over at acne.org, and I thought I'd post it here too to get more input, even if the input here is probably going to be much more one-sided :wink:

I was on the [benzoyl peroxide] Regimen until about a year ago. Then I discovered Loren Cordain's Dietary Cure for Acne and decided to try his "paleo diet" and stop using medication altogether. My acne definitely improved, but it did not go away altogether. Also, following my instincts, I ate up to 4 or 5 pounds of meat per day.

About a month ago, I decided to give the Wai Diet a try ( http://freeacnebook.com/ ). After about three weeks, my skin was perfectly clear and has remained so since. Still, I think it's too early to say that it works perfectly for sure. Also, I'm not ready to write off the paleo diet, because I don't know how strictly I followed it (I, for example, frequently ate meat marinated in soy sauce, which is derived from soy, a no-no on Cordain's diet).

I realize that the Wai diet is much more restrictive than the paleo diet. On the other hand, I love fresh fruit, sashimi, and egg yolks (which took a bit of getting used to), and I love not cooking--and I love clear skin, so I can't complain too much.

Clearly, Wai and Cordain agree on a lot of things (e.g., natural foods, no grains, no legumes). Their biggest disagreement concerns cooking. I find that I feel satiated with half a pound of sashimi per day, which is about an eighth of the amount of meat I was eating on the Paleo diet.

Also, I have already lost about 6 pounds on the Wai diet and 2% body fat. I am glad about losing the body fat, though I don't want to become emaciated either--I think it will take more time to see the long-term effects on my body composition.

The only serious criticism of one diet by an adherent of the other I've found is at http://www.thijsklompmaker.com/acne.htm I believe this was written by Wai's boyfriend.

I am somewhat interested in the theory, which I'm sure we could argue about all day, but I am more interested in results.

Has anyone else out there tried both diets? If so, what were your results (with regards to acne and otherwise) on each, and how did they compare? The reason I ask is that I've been craving cooked meat lately and want to know whether I might achieve the same benefits (acne loss, fat loss) on the Paleo Diet that I've achieved on the Wai diet if I adhere to it more strictly (e.g., more fish, less steak).
CY

Re: Paleo Diet vs. Wai Diet

Post by CY »

damian wrote:I just posted the following on the board over at acne.org, and I thought I'd post it here too to get more input, even if the input here is probably going to be much more one-sided :wink:
Heh.

Actually, from what I've seen, the gurus on this board know what they're talking about, and understand both sides of a question when answering.
damian wrote:I was on the [benzoyl peroxide] Regimen until about a year ago. Then I discovered Loren Cordain's Dietary Cure for Acne and decided to try his "paleo diet" and stop using medication altogether. My acne definitely improved, but it did not go away altogether. Also, following my instincts, I ate up to 4 or 5 pounds of meat per day.
I'm glad you're off BP. That stuff is nasty...

In the case of cooked meat, according to Wai, following your instincts is not the best idea, because some altered proteins that are formed have addictive properties:
Wai (http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/13/cooking.htm) wrote:

Code: Select all

Cooking food is always a chemical experiment; all kinds of new substances originate.

Many of these new substances are heterocyclic amines (HCA).

Many of these HCA are directly or indirectly physically addictive. (1)  

Due to the heat these HCA originate from the interaction between protein and carbohydrates and / or creatine (in red meat) or nitrate (in vegetables).

Some examples :

tryptophan + form- / acet-aldehyde   = 1-methyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-beta-carboline (pro-mutagenic) (2)

tryptophan + glycolaldehyde              = 1-hydroxymethyl-tetrahydro-beta-carboline (3)

serotonine + formaldehyde                = 6-hydroxy-tetrahydro-beta-carboline (5)

serotonine + acetaldehyde                 = 6-hydroxy-1-methyl-tetrahydro-beta-carboline (6)

tyramine + nitrite                                 = 3-diazotyramine(4-(2-aminoethyl))-6-diazo-2,4-cyclohexadienone (carcin.)(7)

salt + nitrite + protein / sugar              = 2-chloro-4-methylthiobutanoate (mutagenic) (8)

glutamate + sugars                             = 2-amino-6-methyldipyrido-(1,2-a:3',2'-d)imidazole (carcinogenic) (9)

glutamate + sugars                             = 2-aminodipyrido-(1,2-a:3',2'-d)imidazole (carcinogenic) (9)
damian wrote:About a month ago, I decided to give the Wai Diet a try ( http://freeacnebook.com/ ). After about three weeks, my skin was perfectly clear and has remained so since. Still, I think it's too early to say that it works perfectly for sure. Also, I'm not ready to write off the paleo diet, because I don't know how strictly I followed it (I, for example, frequently ate meat marinated in soy sauce, which is derived from soy, a no-no on Cordain's diet).
The paleo diet has a "good start" both in terms of acne and in terms of health. However, the authors advocate the diet as one of early human beings, which, probably, it is rather close to. Unfortunately it does not particularly take into account the enormous changes that have been forced into foods we may have eaten a long time ago that we still eat today. For one, meat "back then" was not limited to beef, pork, and poultry (and maybe some fish). Human beings ate a much greater variety of leaner meats. Compared with commercial meat today, the meat that early human beings ate was much cleaner as well, free from added chemicals and the consequences cheap fodder and stale living conditions. Nutrient composition was also much better in the meats of early diets. The leaner meats had much lower levels of saturated fat, and contained many more omega-3 fatty acids, and less of the omega-6 fatty acid arachiadonic acid. Early human beings also consumed far more fish than most of us do today. Populations generally resided near bodies of water, and fishing was essential to the survival of many early peoples.

Crops, as well, have changed quite a bit. Most cultivars, such as brocoli, carrots, spinach, lettuce, etc..., have been bred into the giant-sized, sugary vegetables that we know today. Primitive greens were much smaller, and contained fewer sugars. Some of today's cultivars have been hybridized to the point where they can no longer reproduce themselves. Fruits, too, are subjected to breeding that increases size and sugar content. Oftentimes, these varieties of fruits and vegeatbles contain fewer nutrients and phytochemicals than their (dwindling), naturally grown and reproduced counterparts. We cannot forget that plants, like meat, also undergo chemical treatment to remove pests and pathogens and increase yield.

The paleo diet, although well intentioned, cannot emulate the diets of early human beings completely. Even so, it is a much healthier way of living than that of many developed countries. Wai's diet can be considered a simplified and intensified version of the paleo diet, and much more effective in terms of acne because all dietary discrepancies that may cause acne are accounted for. The Wai diet, in my opinion, focuses more on physiological aspects of the whole body rather than conforming all aspects of diet to a theory or, better said, a mindset, not only when compared to the paleo diet, but to many other diets and lifestyles that people follow.

On another note: You attributed the fact that soy sauce is made from soy to the possibility that soy sauce may have contributed to acne. This is supported by the Wai perspective, which illustrates how soy proteins, damaged by heating and fermentation during the production of soy sauce, combined with the high sodium content in the sauce, can cause the obstruction of sebaceous canals in the skin.
damian wrote:I realize that the Wai diet is much more restrictive than the paleo diet. On the other hand, I love fresh fruit, sashimi, and egg yolks (which took a bit of getting used to), and I love not cooking--and I love clear skin, so I can't complain too much.
When people ask me if I ever get tired/bored of fruit, fish, and eggs, I always respond, and ask them whether they get tired of eating grains, meat, and a side of cooked vegetables every day of their lives. What many people don't realize is that the variety on this diet, albeit smaller because flavor/food combinations is not an issue, is still similar to a standard cooked-meal diet. With thousands of species of delicious fruits, nuts, and seeds, its difficult to become bored of eating, especially with so many varieties that I havn't tried.
damian wrote:Also, I have already lost about 6 pounds on the Wai diet and 2% body fat. I am glad about losing the body fat, though I don't want to become emaciated either--I think it will take more time to see the long-term effects on my body composition.
Because everyone's body is different, it is impossible to predict your body's response to this diet. However, it is generally assumed that one will obtain a leaner body composition, a more stable metabolism, and clear skin :wink:

If you are worried about losing lean body mass, however, it is important that you maintain energy intake throughout the day. Questions should be posted on the Muscle gain / preventing weightloss board.
damian wrote:Has anyone else out there tried both diets? If so, what were your results (with regards to acne and otherwise) on each, and how did they compare? The reason I ask is that I've been craving cooked meat lately and want to know whether I might achieve the same benefits (acne loss, fat loss) on the Paleo Diet that I've achieved on the Wai diet if I adhere to it more strictly (e.g., more fish, less steak).
By the time one of my friends sparked my interest in the paleo diet, I had already been on a fruit diet for some time, so I've never actually been on the paleo diet myself. The Wai diet is certainly the more healthy diet in the long run, and, from my knowledge, it is probably more effective at clearing acne. Following the Wai perspective, cooked meat is one of the greatest contributors to acne.

Craving cooked meat is automatic if you've eaten it before (especially in the amounts that you have). See excerpt from waisays.com above.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Damian wrote:I have already lost about 6 pounds on the Wai diet and 2% body fat
To prevent fat and muscle loss, with this diet you need to eat much more frequently, as the meals are smaller.
You may also experiment with eating more raw protein by spreading it out over 3 meals a day (as far spread out as possible), as long as you make sure to remain physically inactive after every meal.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The discussion about when humans started to use fire to cook their food remains open, because so far it isn't possible to definitively say when they did.
johndela1

Re: Paleo Diet vs. Wai Diet

Post by johndela1 »

damian wrote: Has anyone else out there tried both diets? If so, what were your results (with regards to acne and otherwise) on each, and how did they compare?
Yes, I have tried both. My skin is much clearer on the wai diet. The biggest difference I have observed is the way I sleep. When eating a lot of cooked meat and eggs I wake up through out the night and don't fall back to sleep quickly. On the wai diet I sleep through the night more and if I do wake up a fall back to sleep much easier.