Cooking and Cognition: How Humans Got So Smart

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
halfgaar
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Cooking and Cognition: How Humans Got So Smart

Post by halfgaar »

I found an article with a rather bold hypotheses that I can't keep from you all: Cooking and Cognition: How Humans Got So Smart.

It states that human brains started to gain size and energy consumption when we began cooking our food. The increased availability to the energy contained in the food by cooking them started the cognitive evolution.

So, we're all dumbing down here on Wai :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I think that energy availability has something to do with it, indeed, together with the availability of cholesterol (and omega 3 fats)
My brain always has sufficient glucose at its disposal; which is about energy management (sipping juices in my case)
Havas

Re: Cooking and Cognition: How Humans Got So Smart

Post by Havas »

halfgaar wrote:It states that human brains started to gain size and energy consumption when we began cooking our food. The increased availability to the energy contained in the food by cooking them started the cognitive evolution.
Or did we start cooking, because we got smarter? :P (Correlation is not causation)

But anyway, it only applies to vegetables. Many vegetables are poisonous, or unable to be digested well if raw. However with meat and fruit, cooking it lowers the amount of energy (but increases the density of energy, by driving off water).
halfgaar

Post by halfgaar »

(Correlation is not causation)
One of my favorite sayings. People always make that mistake, whether it's the scientific community or just among the commoners.