Sauna and Facial Steamer

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
Melt
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Sauna and Facial Steamer

Post by Melt »

Can suana or facial steamer help to extract the excess water from our skin or is it just sweat?
fictor

Post by fictor »

As far as I know, sauna and steam baths can help to sweat out retained water in the skin. This is no cure for acne on its own though, since the water will be replaced if one eats water retaining substances.

Also, there is another issue with saunas and steamrooms, the chlorine in the water. The gym where I instruct has a sauna, but I get very ichy from using it, same as I do when showering in chlorinated water, or too hot water.
Melt

Post by Melt »

i remember the days when my face would look more contoured after a 20min suana. Of coz it wouldn't last if i continue to eat water retaining foods. I would get bloated and then the acne..
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

exactly. So, its about eliminating the water retention-causing substances (excess protein, salt etc)
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Does this mean sweating in general is good for the skin?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I don't think it's either good or bad, it's primarily a cooling mechanism.
fictor

Post by fictor »

I think sweating/steaming could help to remove retained water if one is on a strict diet but still has some minor water retention, due to naturally high testosterone levels for example. Done regularly, this could keep the minor water retention at an even lower level, minimizing the problems it causes.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The retained water is there because of the 'dirty' protein, which attracts water. If the amount of 'dirty' protein doesn't change, the need for water will stay the same. Once the protein is gone, the need for water in the skin will disappear quickly. No specific need for sauna/sweating in my opinion.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fictor wrote:... if one is on a strict diet but still has some minor water retention, due to naturally high testosterone levels for example ...
This water retention is caused by hormones, and sweating does not alter that, so that it will probably not decrease the water retention (the water will be 'retained back on'; that what got lost will get replenished)
fictor

Post by fictor »

RRM wrote:
fictor wrote:... if one is on a strict diet but still has some minor water retention, due to naturally high testosterone levels for example ...
This water retention is caused by hormones, and sweating does not alter that, so that it will probably not decrease the water retention (the water will be 'retained back on'; that what got lost will get replenished)
So the watger attracting substances does not "follow" the water out when one sweats?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fictor wrote: So the watger attracting substances does not "follow" the water out when one sweats?
Yes, but they get replenished with any meal;
The water-retaining substances that are under the influence of water-regulating hormones are sodium, chloride and potassium. Their levels are regulated by hormones; so their levels are 'set', so that when they get lost, they will get replenished.