Prions

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
Mr. PC
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Mr. PC »

Mad Cow disease is the only living organism with no DNA?
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

Mr. PC wrote:Mad Cow disease is the only living organism with no DNA?
You're thinking of prions; they have no DNA or RNA. But, there are more prions in existence than just the "mad cow disease."
"All Knowledge Is Worth Having." - Jacqueline Carey
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Ah yes, that was exactly what I was thinking. Prions (from what I understand) are made when individual amino-acids fold into a chain incorrectly. I don't know if it's possible for this to happen from eating bad-quality protein.

Anyways did you know this RRM?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:Prions (from what I understand) are made when individual amino-acids fold into a chain incorrectly.
Such prions are not organisms, just proteins.
They are relatively small proteins; in humans they are chains of only 209 amino acids. They are readily decomposed by protein-decomposing enzymes. They probably act as messenger-protein in the brain.
In bad prions, the amino acids are properly chained up, but the (3D) folding is incorrect and due to their special structure, they cannot be decomposed by enzymes easily.
Somehow, bad prions seem to be able to change good prions into bad prions.
A group of such bad prions linked together is called an amyloid (a proteinaceous plaque),
which is linked to Alzheimers Disease.
I don't know if it's possible for this to happen from eating bad-quality protein.
Protein quality (the relative presence of methionine and cystein in protein) has nothing to do with this.
But i do think that 'dirty' protein has.
I think that bad prions may (sometimes/often/always) be normal prions containg 'dirty' peptides;
molecularly changed due to cooking, and responsible for the abnormal folding.
The amyloid may (sometimes or partly) just be precipitated hard to decompose 'dirty' protein.
But thats just my theory.
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

Alzheimers Disease is Mad Cow Disease. Same prion(s).
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

Of course there is; just like autism is supposedly [not] caused by vaccination(s). I have heard different arguments about what Alzheimer’s or dementia or Mad Cow Disease is, and I have read both sides’ adamant justifications as to why their particular research party has the authority on the subject. I am convinced because of my own research, and particularly because of two images I saw. In an undergraduate biology/anatomy course, I saw these juxtaposed images of two cadavers’ brains, one with Mad Cow Disease, the other with Alzheimer’s, and there was no obvious difference between the two: both had the distinct “holes.” The two brains looked identical.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Sometimes there is more to it, I think.
A scan of a broken leg may look extremely similar to another one that has been broken due to a very different cause.
But naturally i respect your opinion.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

So what is the difference between low-quality and dirty protein? Does low quality protein cause acne? and therefor fruits, which lower protein-quality, also do? Is it better to eat something high in low-quality protein, than a HQ food that has been cooked?

Originally I meant this to be a 'teach RRM something new', but I guess you know more about it than I do. Have you read and of the work of Carleton Gajdusek? I know he discovered prions but I don't know if his research would be relevant to what I'm interested in (general health and diet).
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Low quality means the specific food is low in the rare amino acids. 'Dirty' protein means HCAs, denaturated protein which together with other components reformed into new, harmful substances.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:Does low quality protein cause acne? and therefor fruits, which lower protein-quality, also do?
You asked the same question in a different thread.
I answered it there:
viewtopic.php?p=22063#22063
Is it better to eat something high in low-quality protein, than a HQ food that has been cooked?
for what?
Have you read and of the work of Carleton Gajdusek?
No, i have not.