Washing hands before eating?

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
summerwave
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

amsterdam

Post by summerwave »

I would very much like to go to Amsterdam, for sure.... and get to the Concertgebouw first thing! (I listen to "Live from the Concertgebouw" on public radio here in the US and dream of places where it is not all Britney Spears all day long).

I do not wash my hands either. However, since I was a teenager (and travelled overseas to very undeveloped places) I have questioned the practice of brushing teeth in the bathroom, right next to the toilet.

I find this inexplicable.

I brush my teeth in the kitchen. I just can't see the logic of cleaning one's mouth in a bathroom.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fictor wrote:You guys dont wash your hands after having been to the toilet?
Of course we do.
Just no washing of hands prior to food intake, preparation of foods etc.
Only some rinsing if the tomato or orange juice is dripping down my arms...
I also forgot that i 'wash' my hands while sitting in the bathtub (20 minutes every morning)
Of course when my hands got greasy due to touching specific parts of my bicycle (or similar), i also wash them...
Oscar
Administrator

Re: amsterdam

Post by Oscar »

summerwave wrote:(I listen to "Live from the Concertgebouw" on public radio here in the US and dream of places where it is not all Britney Spears all day long).
What about Carnegie Hall and The Met?
summerwave

radio

Post by summerwave »

There is SymphonyCast; Interlochen Public Radio, plus the Metropolitan opera broadcasts (Saturdays here), but public radio also carries Live from the Concertgebouw, which has somehow caught my ear because the announcer is quite lively, plus the repertoire is so good.

I think 24 hours in Amsterdam for me would be the Rembrandt Museum, the Concertgebouw, and a pilgrimage to the Rijksmuseum.

I think they are all close by each other (?)

!

And the dollar's strong!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The Concertgebouw and the Rijksmuseum are pretty close to each other, but the Rembrandthuis it a bit farther away, though it depends on how you define 'close'...most Americans I know think everything in the Netherlands is close by. ;)
summerwave

Amsterdam

Post by summerwave »

Everywhere proximate to the Rijksmuseum is perfect-- no need to wish for more.

What is that van Gogh said about being willing to trade 10 years of his life for 2 weeks in front of a particular Rembrandt painting....
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Haven't heard about that, but now I'm starting to wonder what he traded his ear for then... ;)
summerwave

van G

Post by summerwave »

It is a poignant quotation for sure; I am not being cynical, but rather the opposite, when I note he did not have 10 years to give...

I missed the Rembrandt quadrennial (400 year anniversary of his birth) and truly would like to visit Amsterdam in upcoming years; it seems a marvelous place for all I have mentioned.

And the birthplace of the Wai diet, not least.... I would fear the foods there otherwise; the stereotypes of Dutch cuisine are not attractive.
summerwave

painting

Post by summerwave »

It is the painting "The Jewish Bride" at the Rijksmuseum that van Gogh was talking about....

(The euro is down again today-- I should go!)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

summerwave

Rembrandt

Post by summerwave »

I would give up 10 live concerts with Kremer playing to see that painting once...
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Wouldn't 10 concerts with Ol' Gidon amount to a cheap ticket to Amsterdam? ;)
Last edited by Oscar on Fri 21 May 2010 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
summerwave

tickets

Post by summerwave »

He doesn't play here anymore

I think he gave up on the US--

So I have to buy a ticket to "Europe" (somewhere) anyway to hear him--

Which, believe me, I think about.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Maybe you can find a time when he will play in the Concertgebouw, and kill a flock of birds with just one stone. ;)

He played in Eindhoven (in the south) last month, on April 13...
summerwave

Kremer in Amsterdam

Post by summerwave »

That would be heaven....!