Washing hands before eating?

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
Kookaburra
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Washing hands before eating?

Post by Kookaburra »

Because we have been eating raw animal food for quite some time now, our body can cope with bacteria. That being said, is it a must to wash your hands before picking up a dried fruit to eat? If our body can handle the bacteria in raw salmon, I am sure it can handle the bacteria on our hands too?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I, erm, never wash my hands, only rinse off food debris (I apologize to our over-hygienic US readers ;)).
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

i'm with you on that oscar. hand washing is just plain silly.
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The same here,
though my gf always lectures me about it
she doesnt accept my 'my-body-can-cope-with-the-bacteria excuse'. :)
Us men are pigs!
summerwave

handwash

Post by summerwave »

In the US restaurant industry you would be fired (sacked), RRM!

:P
summerwave

hands

Post by summerwave »

Oscar, you are a violinist; makes sense (dry or cracked skin on fingertips are a professional musician's nightmare)...

My musician friends wear latex gloves at home to wash dishes, etc and are obsessed with hand lotion.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I never worry about dry skin/fingertips, and even if I weren't a musician, I wouldn't wash my hands.

Btw, apparently even if you do wash your hands with soap, there are still going to be plenty of bacteria on your skin. Moreover, more harmful bacteria will be washed to the surface from deeper in the skin. A specific chemical is needed to get rid of most of the bacteria. And of course after touching something, there will be plenty of bacteria again. ;)
summerwave

hands

Post by summerwave »

Yes; you mistake my meaning; I know it comes easily for you to not wash hands based on Wai skincare....

It's true though that it probably has the effect of keeping the hands of a string player in good shape (as a side effect).

Most of the violinists I know do not play touch football (American-style football) on the weekends either; and it's not because they don't like sport! They protect their hands, generally....
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Right. :)

I find that quite a few musicians are overly protective of their hands and/or instruments. Interestingly enough it's often those people who get into trouble.
summerwave

hands

Post by summerwave »

Right....

The other thing is that in the US it is all but impossible to survive financially purely as a classical musician.... Most I know work as EMTs (paramedics in ambulances); at Home Depots where they have very physical jobs; in restaurants where they must wash hands constantly with strong soaps (it's the law). Therefore they are protective of 'what's left' of their hands when it is actually time to play.

They have these other jobs of course for cashflow; but more than that, for the all-important health insurance.

All of the above probably differs where you are.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I see...well, it is different, but there are musicians here too who have another job, even though lots get by with teaching.
summerwave wrote:Therefore they are protective of 'what's left' of their hands when it is actually time to play.
Of course I wouldn't call that 'overly' protective.
summerwave

cashflow

Post by summerwave »

I'm moving to Amsterdam (after you sort out this Greek business)

:lol:
summerwave

ps

Post by summerwave »

I mean, just by teaching!

It doesn't happen here. It's because there is so little demand in part but also the social welfare here is not like it is other places. I have Canadian friends who are entrepreneurs in the most narrow market niches available, who somehow do fine; get taken care of medically etc.

Well. There it is--

Different systems.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

You're welcome in Amsterdam. :)

Well, I DO believe it's time for the human race to start thinking about progressing our civilization in the direction of making things better for everyone, but that's a whole other discussion. ;)
fictor

Post by fictor »

You guys dont wash your hands after having been to the toilet? Thats a little nasty, I think! :)

Other than after having been to the toilet, I am all with you on just rinsing off food residue. I never wash before I eat or prepare food or anything like that. I dont even wash knives that I use for raw chicken (I wash the eventually, but not at once, often using them several times before washing) :)