Book: Four Fish & fish oil

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
zackcentury
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Book: Four Fish & fish oil

Post by zackcentury »

Has anyone read this book? Thoughts?
http://www.syndetics.com/index.aspx?isb ... ient=anarp
bananarama
summerwave

Re: Book: Four Fish

Post by summerwave »

I have not read it, but am about to.

I do not eat a lot of seafood, as I found my body had extremely high levels of mercury several years ago. The short-term levels dropped dramatically when I had amalgam fillings removed a few months ago. I have become very attentive to sources of mercury, and I am equally interested in the ecological problems of continuing to exploit fisheries and the problems marine pollution creates for human health.

It seems so clear that overpopulation of humans-- the sheer enormity of the human biomass-- has everything to do with both. Read James Lovelock; we are already past the point of what can be sustained, and the numbers won't stabilize for decades-- perhaps after precipitous drops from catastrophe.

It doesn't seem feasible to eat a lot of seafish for a number of reasons. That being said, what are the good alternatives to the marine oils our brains need for full development? For the first problem-- mercury/pollutants-- the bottled variety of oil doesn't seem a good idea, and it is almost undoubtedly inclusive of oxidized cholesterol in its cholesterol content (I don't know the process, but it seems impossible to extract these oils without heat damage). Perhaps RRM knows, or it has been discussed elsewhere?

For the second-- there just aren't enough fish for the numbers of humans we now have.... There are many other good books on overfishing, including Richard Ellis's book "Tuna: Love, Death, and Mercury."... but I will read the first chapter of "Four Fish" today, and anyone who knows about the cholesterol quality in bottled fish oil is welcome to remark here....
RRM
Administrator

Re: Book: Four Fish

Post by RRM »

summerwave wrote:the bottled variety of oil doesn't seem a good idea, and it is almost undoubtedly inclusive of oxidized cholesterol in its cholesterol content
I think the oil you are referring to, is fish oil, extracted from fish.
I guess it differs per oil; how it is made (cold distraction?).
In general, this seems to be the process
http://michaelreid.typepad.com/michaelreid/2007/09/how-is-fish-oil.html wrote: 1. raw fish enters the processing plant and is hashed (cut into pieces) and cooked by steam.
2. The cooked mass of fish is then pressed or centrifuged to separate the fat-free dry solids and the liquid (oil & water).
3. The fat-free dry solids are further processed into fish meal. Fish meal is commonly used in animal feed.
4. The liquid (oil & water) which is called press liquor is further processed to separate the oil and water.
5. The water that is separated from the oil also has solids in it and is added back into the fish meal.
6. The next stages of oil processing is calling polishing. This is where impurities are removed via hot water.
7. The final stage of oil processing involves adding anti-oxidants before the oil is placed in stainless steel storage containers.
So, yes, it may contain oxysterols indeed.
Though you can also make fish oil yourself:
http://www.catfish1.com/forums/f212/how-make-fish-oil-105220.html wrote: Fish oil, a common lure ingredient and can be made yourself.
To make fish oil, use medium sized fresh carp. Gut the fish and remove entrails but leave the head attached. Chop the fish into inch size cubes and place the pieces into a gallon jar. Using a flat lid for the jar, screw the lid on and back off about 1/2 turn. Over the lid and top of the jar place about three layers of broad cloth fabric. (This is to keep out flies and maggots so loosely woven fabric will not work). Hold the layers of cloth in place with a strong rubber band. Over this place a plastic bag and hold in place with a rubber band. Wrap a wire around the neck of the jar and hang up in a isolated place away from residences and where people aren't likely to bother it. Also make sure to hang it well off the ground where animals can't get to it. Locate this jar in a place where the sun will shine on it throughout the days in the summer. Try to prepare this fish oil in April before the fly season and hot weather gets under way. Leave the jars hang in the sun until mid-September. Strain the liquid into separate jars and store in a cool dark place. The clear yellow oil that rises to the top can be skimmed off as it is the best quality, however, all the liquid in the jar can be used.
Several fish oil brands have been reported to contain too high levels of PCBs. (1)
Cod liver oil is extracted from the liver, and therefore may contain too high levels of vitamin A (and PCBs).

(1) Jess Halliday (2006-04-13). "Dioxins prompt second UK fish oil withdrawal". http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/news ... s-fish-oil. Retrieved 2007-02-08.
"Pollutants found in fish oil capsules". BBC News. 2002-04-06. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1911312.stm. Retrieved 2007-02-08.
summerwave

Re: Book: Four Fish & fish oil

Post by summerwave »

Thank you, RRM....

The bottled fish oils, it always seemed to me, almost assuredly contain oxysterols.I do eat some raw fish now but do not take these bottled marine oils for this reason; the information you provided confirms that. I eat raw squid as well, dehydrated or just thawed and sliced.

There is a way in mercury therapy to bind mercury and remove it gradually from the body. I may in future when I eat raw fish use this substance at the same time to ameliorate the mercury levels I assume are high in many raw fish species. It doesn't address PCBs/other pollutants though: just a few of the heavy metals.

Also, with farmed fish-- well, I think what you've said in past is right: there is something not quite right in the fats there... I know there are many supplements either humans or farmed animals consume that contain transfats, and I think it does end up in our/their bodies.

For now I eat quite a lot of raw chicken from a local organic farm. The one other material I have used (when traveling) for Omega-3 oils is Seacure, a fermented whitefish protein whose protein is undoubtedly altered (and which is not Wai-approved, as you've commented before on the board) but whose website mentions that it is fermented at low enough temperatures to avoid greater damage from extreme heats. It probably has fewer oxysterols-- if any-- than bottled marine oils for this reason.

Thank you again for the information. I don't know if I would ever make fish oil extract myself, but surely it is a better option than bottled.