Natural Death, a product of nature and not a requirement?

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
panacea
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Natural Death, a product of nature and not a requirement?

Post by panacea »

I've been thinking a lot lately about how a mother can actually create a brand new brain, set of eyes, ears, feet, arms, etc, right inside of her. Basically, this shows that regeneration of aged tissue isn't impossible for animals, but rather not practical. The reason it's not practical, in my opinion, is that it makes it too slow to adapt and evolve in the environment. However, with the advance of the human intelligence, further aging might actually be beneficial, and death might no longer be necessary if youth can be preserved. So, my question is, why is no one looking into the secret of 'reproduction' and figuring out a way to mimic it inside our own bodies, for eternal youth? I realize it can't just be done tomorrow, but I never even hear talk about research about it or the idea. Anyone have any thoughts/news related to this?
Oscar
Administrator

Re: Natural Death, a product of nature and not a requirement

Post by Oscar »

That's an interesting point, I'd have to think about it.
One possible, philosophical explanation for the need of natural death could be the need for different experiences. This precludes the existence and possibility of 'transferable' souls and reincarnation of some sort. Of course we do not know how the aging process differs when in optimally healthy conditions. It might be that our bodies stay in a relatively youthful state for a long period of time until our soul decides to move on and quit this life. All this is speculation, obviously.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Very interesting.
colorles

Post by colorles »

rather likely things of this sort already exist, its just well hidden. only the 'chemists' and the like will have access to it, and eventually of course the so called 'rich' people. everyone else is just lab rats, worker bees, sheep, whatever you want to call them

death is natural in nature though, as long as you live life on instincts and live a natural life (alot more likely if you can escape society), whats so scary about death? sure the survival instinct is deep, but eventually it is natural to die. would rather die without a 'name' though, without a 'statistic' mocking

still though im kinda 'caught between' in this world some; i wish to be able to exist as my ancestors did, free spirits (and we still are, you cant steal that),,but at the same time with the way society is taking everything over, it seems unlikely (unless off course society 'offs' itself, which then only a very small minority of the human population would survive anyways to even make it to the so call 'post apocalyptic' existence, but 'if your instincts cannon keep you alive, you dont deserve life', so....),,society is becoming (and kinda already is) more and more like somthing i call 'Ultra Heaven', which is also a manga by the way, if you 'enjoy' reading manga perhaps check it out. seems the 'real world' as its called is even more devious still
dime

Post by dime »

panacea wrote:I've been thinking a lot lately about how a mother can actually create a brand new brain, set of eyes, ears, feet, arms, etc, right inside of her.
The mother only provides the environment for this to happen, she doesn't create any brain etc. There's a lot of research on this already, check out stem cells.
panacea

Post by panacea »

@oscar
biological immortality does not mean that death would be avoided, there are always freak accidents and things that can go wrong. eventually, we would still 'die' and no universal existence laws would be violated especially by simply living 100 years longer which some organisms already can do.

@dime
stem cells don't come out of another dimension and suddenly appear in the mother,
the mother does it, whether it's stem cells or the fetus or whatever, the mother is what feeds and grows it all and it was all created inside of her from a very simplistic form with the exception of the male sperm being the only outside force besides food/oxygen..

there is nothing that says an organism cannot make itself virtually immortal by creating stem cells to replace decaying or dead cells lost by the body, since the body already has shown the capability to do this in reproduction

this page claims that there are already biologically immortal organisms (which require being eaten/physically injured to die)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_immortality
Jellyfish
Turritopsis nutricula is a small (5 millimeters (0.20 in)) species of jellyfish which uses transdifferentiation to replenish cells after sexual reproduction. This cycle can repeat indefinitely, potentially rendering it biologically immortal. It originated from the Caribbean sea, but has now spread around the world.