Milky Way Galaxy flattened out, why?

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
panacea
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Milky Way Galaxy flattened out, why?

Post by panacea »

You've seen it in all the pictures, the milkyway galaxy is this huge spiraling galaxy, and while it's 3D, it appears to me to be not near as '3D' vertically as horizontally!

This didn't make sense to me so I googled it, lots of answers that didn't 'click' intuitively, but one elegant answer someone proposed was that it had to do with the north and south poles of the supermassive blackholes in the center, acting like magnets do in a sense, so that in the birth of the galaxy all of the gas that formed the stars were pulled into the relatively flat horizontal magnetic plane before the stars were born, and for other galaxies, which have different magnetic-goings-ons inside their supermassive blackholes, sometimes the gas doesn't get to the center before the stars are born and its an elliptical galaxy, sometimes galaxies collide and become irregular, etc.

What are your thoughts?

For me, this meant that magnetics (or whatever the word is for the area) might play a huge role in human technology in the future. You don't hear much about their uses, yet it's so mysterious. There has to be some potential there for some really interesting applications.
Oscar
Administrator

Re: Milky Way Galaxy flattened out, why?

Post by Oscar »

I thought the universe was slowly turning, so centrifugal force might have something to do with it?