Books for fun? Old journals/diaries?

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
CSIV
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Books for fun? Old journals/diaries?

Post by CSIV »

I've decided that I don't read enough for fun since I've been out of high school the last two years; I read a lot for other purposes, but not as leisure. A big part of the problem is I don't really know what to read since I was so used to having asigned reading in high school, which I actually enjoyed for the most part. So I figured what better place to ask first than this forum?

So if anyone knows of some great books to read, I'd love to hear what they are. :D I'm particularly interested in old journals/diaries (not biographies) of just an average person(or people) from their time period (if those exist? they must right?). I'm also interested in really good literature set in the past as well (I'm talking early 1900's all the way back to the dawn of humanity for both the journals and literature setting time periods).

I don't really want to read about famous people or anything super depressing... it can have sad and depressing moments, but there should be balance. Nothing like "A Child Called It"

Many thanks! And maybe other people will benefit from this thread as well :D
abicahsoul

Re: Books for fun? Old journals/diaries?

Post by abicahsoul »

Nice topic
First I would recommend 'Little Prince' by Saint-Éxupery.. it is one of my favorite books. :)

Otherwise, I also recommend reading great comic books.. besides the more 'serious litterature'.. ;D
Calvin and Hobbes is one of my fave comic books. <3

A great diary to read is Anne Frank's diary. It is not super tragic in itself.. but it depicts a situation and events that were tragic, and that determined the life of Anne.. But no, the diary in itself is not tragic, it is great, interesting, and she was an ordinary girl, but with extraordianry writing gift depicting their life in hiding and also her own dreams, wishes, goals, day to day life and coming of age. She just became famous cuz of this diary.

Otherwise if you wanna find that kind of diaries I think you have to search the net. Cuz most 'famous' diaries are written by writers/authors and hence they are publicized and hence in a sense 'famous'.
But Virginia Woolf´s diaries I think are veeeery fantastic, and about ordinary events and life and writing.. And after all she wasn't that 'famous'.. She became famous posthumously. :wink:

Literature depicting life in earlier centuries: I recommend the odyssey, it is a bit like reading a comic book.. and if one reads it out aloud while reclining in a nice sofa, or one the couch.. and perhaps even with company it is even better as its style is very well suited for loud reading. Also works when one is alone. ;D

Not to mention Don Quijote by Cervantes - it is the work of another true genius.. and gives a very interesting insight in his times and is also highly critical of his society.
CSIV

Post by CSIV »

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll definately be checking some of those out.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Not that easy...I'll just name a few:
A Secret History - Donna Tartt
Life of Pi - Yann Martel
The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
Snow Falling on Cedars - David Guterson
The Millennium Trilogy - Stieg Larsson
Shogun/Tai Pan/King Rat/Noble House - James Clavell

The last two are fun reads, the others are more literature.
CSIV

Post by CSIV »

Thank you Oscar! I will look into these as well :D