What to advice "normal" people, "second best" choices

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
Kasper
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

What to advice "normal" people, "second best" choices

Post by Kasper »

Yesterday I talked about this a little bit with overkees, and I think it is a very interesting topic which I don't see that much discussed on this forum.

Most of us agree that Wai is a very health diet. But if I want to give a good advice to anyone diet-wise, I must admit, that in many cases I can't give a good advice.
I mean, I can try to convince that people to eat Wai, but I already know, that even IF I convince him/her, he will not follow it (for social reasons or whatever).
So in general I don't spend time to convince people eating Wai, because I know it won't help them width their health.

BUT, maybe I shouldn't try to convince that person to eat Wai, maybe, if I really want to help that person, I should give him an advice, which I know is easy to put in practice AND will give that person a more healthy life. A little bit like "second best" choices.

Examples:
- It's not that hard to convince people that slow-cooking is very healthy. And many people love it.
- To pan-fry vegetables in coconut oil instead of sunflower oil or olive oil.
- How to get a good omega 3/ omega 6 ratio.
- why eggs are very healthy. Why if you want to cook egg yolks, it's a good idea to cook them so the egg yolks are still soft.
- Why to eat very rare steaks, instead of well-done.

And so there are many EASY things, which will help many people, and give them a better and healthier life.

So, I'm interested what you guys think that are "second best" choices.
I mean, for example, what is worse, bread or rice ?
And if someone want to eat rice, what is the most healthy way to eat it ? Should he add tumeric and plenty coconut oil to eat ?

Another example:
Let's say person X is very inactive.
Should I advice X to drink fruit juice (commercial pasteurized)?
I already know that X wouldn't add olive oil to eat.
X is not able to drink it when X needs (drinking 0.5 liter in 10 min.)

I think that in this case, I should advice X NOT to drink fruit juice. Because it will make X feel tired and sick.
Maybe I should advice X to eat much more high fat food and skip sugar rich food if it's not combined width fat.

Well, long enough post I think, I'm interested what you guys would advice to "normal" people.
dime

Re: What to advice "normal" people, "second best" choices

Post by dime »

Kasper wrote: So, I'm interested what you guys think that are "second best" choices.
I mean, for example, what is worse, bread or rice ?
And if someone want to eat rice, what is the most healthy way to eat it ? Should he add tumeric and plenty coconut oil to eat ?
I add the rice in the slow cooker about 2h before it's finished cooking, I think this is a pretty healthy way (mixing the rice with fatty meat) and simplifies the cooking.
I think white rice is a lot healthier than bread because it has been stripped off all the antinutrients; it's basically pure carbs + a few vitamins/minerals.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

I add the rice in the slow cooker about 2h before it's finished cooking, I think this is a pretty healthy way (mixing the rice with fatty meat) and simplifies the cooking.
I think white rice is a lot healthier than bread because it has been stripped off all the antinutrients; it's basically pure carbs + a few vitamins/minerals.
It's hard to reach the RDA for vitamin B1 and B3 if you eat white rice. Have you checked that ?
And what about blood sugar fluctuations ?
dime

Post by dime »

I haven't felt much blood sugar fluctuations, I guess mixing it with fatty meat slows its digestion a lot. And it's not much rice, in terms of dry weight it's like 100g rice to 500g+ of meat.
Occasionally I eat liver which is full of the B vitamins, so on all B vitamins I'm above 100% of the RDA except B1 which is at 50-60%. When I eat more fruits it goes up.
The requirements for B1 are 1.2mg/day, while the body stores 25-30mg according to wikipedia:
Human storage of thiamine is about 25 to 30 mg, with the greatest concentrations in skeletal muscle, heart, brain, liver, and kidneys. ThMP and free (unphosphorylated) thiamine is present in plasma, milk, cerebrospinal fluid, and, it is presumed, all extracellular fluids. Unlike the highly phosphorylated forms of thiamine, ThMP and free thiamine are capable of crossing cell membranes. Thiamine contents in human tissues are less than those of other species.
Just to be safe occasionally I take a 50mg B1 pill to "recharge" the body stores.
From the minerals potassium is somewhat low, which I "fix" by using potassium salt (KCl) instead of normal salt (NaCl) sometimes. I don't have acne problems so I'm not sure if any salt is ok in general for others though.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

Hmm.. sounds solid.

But how long does it take you to eat 100 g rice width 500 gram meat :O That's quite a dinner..

What is the reason to eat like this ? Do you have positive effects compared width traditional wai ?
dime

Post by dime »

No I eat this over one-two days, store it in the fridge in the meantime. I also eat other stuff as well, fish, egg yolks, some fruits, etc.
I'm just experimenting, for now all is good. It's a lot cheaper, as both the meat for slow cooking and the rice are cheap.

The problem with fruits as major source of carbs is it's very hard to find fruits that work for me.. bananas always constipate me, oranges kill my teeth, and most other fruits are either not ripe/low quality/full of pesticides or too expensive.
So it's better to go for some intermediate solution that actually works, rather than for the ideal solution that most of the time just doesn't work.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

About combining meat width rice, is it not hard to digest starches and proteins together?
According to buteyko, such meals which could be in the stomach for 3-4 hours, will prevent breath control during that time.
dime

Post by dime »

Breathing is faster than normal indeed, but otherwise digestion goes fine for me.
panacea

Post by panacea »

what to advise normal people:
slow cooked pemmican, it's like tasty fat-added-back jerky, can go anywhere stores long periods of time, tastes good, it's perfect for ordinary people
http://makepemmican.com/pemmican_not_so ... recipe.htm

100% cocoa (dark supreme) with water to replace their coffee (will give them caffeine and wire them up)

other than that only drink water, slow cooked vegetables (corn isn't a vegetable it's a very unhealthy grain, they should be informed) and raw fruits would cover everything i think
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

panacea wrote:slow cooked vegetables
Veggies contain antinutrients requiring 'normal' cooking to destroy these,
unlike meat.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

Veggies contain antinutrients requiring 'normal' cooking to destroy these.
Do you know which veggies contain little anti nutrients ?
And you wrote that there are also other concerns regarding veggies like cadmium.
I would like to know which veggies you think would be the best choice (if one cannot give up meals width (cooked/panfried) vegetables).
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Afaik, carrots are the 'best' veggies.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kasper wrote: I would like to know which veggies you think would be the best choice
Im sorry, but i dont know; ive never considered that.
As antinutrients tend to taste bad, im assuming that those veggies that taste best when eaten raw,
contain the least antinutrients.
So, carrots seem a good guess to me.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

What about bell pepper ?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Again, i dont know.
But as they taste / digest relatively well when eaten raw, i suspect they rank among the least bad veggies.