How many fruits per day do you eat?

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
WaiWay
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

How many fruits per day do you eat?

Post by WaiWay »

How many individual fruits do you eat a day (can be the same one). For example: 5 Bananas and 5 peaches; 10 fruits a day.

I was just curious to see what fruits everyone else is eating :D I always try to get as much variety as possible while trying to stay in season.
dime

Re: How Many?

Post by dime »

These days, 1-2 oranges and 5-10-15 plums. The plums are in season over here so they are very delcious now.
What about you?

I changed your title btw, please make them a bit more informative.
mario91

Re: How many fruits per day do you eat?

Post by mario91 »

Lately:

150g of dried goji berries (not advocated on Wai Diet, since many berries are naturally meant for birds, but i'm kinda addicted :P)
5-10 unsulphured dried apricots
10-15 walnuts
3-5 bananas
fictor

Post by fictor »

Something like 8-10 bananas and 1-3 apples. Sometimes i switch some of these for grapes, and sometimes I throw in some pineapple, mango, peach or watermelon. I also eat avocado and tomato every day.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

+/- 200 organic blueberries or something a day at the moment...
They cost 2.25 for 200 gram, which is quite cheap for organic blueberries.
30 blackberries from my garden
10 raspberries from my garden
I guess I top the fruit highscore ?
since many berries are naturally meant for birds
I think that if I could choose, I would eat tons of berries.
When I was a little kid, we used to go to france in the summer.
Together with my 2 brothers, and 2 other kids, we would spend hours searching for blackberries.
All 5 addicted to it.
We would come back with tons of blackberries and ate them all day.

I think many berries are naturally meant for humans.
I actually think they are more natural than most other fruits you could buy today.
The wild version of many fruits used to be unedible (apple, banana, orange, mandarin etc.)
While the wild version of many berries (blueberry,blackberry,raspberry etc.) are almost the same as the version you can buy in the supermarket.
dime

Post by dime »

I used to pick blackberries too with friends, they were growing wild all over the place where I used to live as a kid :)
Now the place is all industrialized, so no more berries..
Also wild strawberries, which are tiny but much tastier then the commercial ones. But I've found these only in the mountains.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kasper wrote:
mario91 wrote:since many berries are naturally meant for birds
I think many berries are naturally meant for humans.
I actually think they are more natural than most other fruits you could buy today.
That depends on what definition you use.
Botanically, even avocado, banana, tomato and watermelon are berries, and blackberries and strawberries are not.
If we consider berries to be small fruits, there are thousands of berry species,
and sure, a number is fit for human consumption,
but many are not, containing high levels of tannins and oxalates, or even toxic alkaloids.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

containing high levels of tannins and oxalates, or even toxic alkaloids.
How do they harm us ?
Most berries, such as cranberries, strawberries and blueberries, contain both hydrolyzable and condensed tannins.
Tannins are plant detergents against consumers (animals) and also seem to serve as natural pesticides and growth regulators. Naturally, tannin-consuming animals secrete a tannin-binding protein (mucin) in their saliva.
Tannins are (bitter tasting) antinutrients that readily bind to other compounds (eg metals, amino acids, vitamins)
that may hinder their uptake. If these complexes are taken up in the blood anyway, they readily percipitate in the arteries.
But because of their aggressive binding nature, tannins are also antiviral, antibacterial and antiparasitic,
and prevent the uptake of heavy metals, protecting the kidneys.

Similarly to tannins, oxalates also readily bind to other compounds, including metals (iron, zinc etc).
Calcium oxalate may precipitate as kidney stones (promoted by a high uptake of calcium when serum vitamin D is elevated)
Iron oxalate appears to play a major role in gout, and oxalates may also cause rheumatoid arthritis.