What do bloodwork results mean?

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
Mr. PC
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

What do bloodwork results mean?

Post by Mr. PC »

Hi.

So I had blood-work done (sorry, it's in Turkish, but I think most medical terms sound the same in every language. If there's something that doesn't make sense [isn't an English cognate], I can put it into google translate).

The doc said everything is good, but I see most of my 'scores' fall very close to the 'minimum reference'. Is ideal somewhere around half-way between minimum and maximum reference? I'm surprised at this score, considering I've been supplementing Zinc, Magnesium, D3, and EPA.

For example, I have 22ug/L of D3. the minimum reference is 20, and the max is 100. I'm taking 100 IU of D3, with the Omega 3 and food, every morning. Does this mean I'm not absorbing the supplement? Or does it mean that, if I weren't taking it, my D3 would be even lower / too low?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr. PC

Re: What do bloodwork results mean?

Post by Mr. PC »

Ok, so I found this site,

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/further ... ults-mean/

Which says I'm deficient in D3 according to these results (even though I'm already supplementing). It seems instead of taking 1 pill of 1000iu per day, I should take 3 or 4 (in order to get as much as a naked hunter/gatherer who lives at the equator). Apparently they actually take tribal people and test their D3, to see what's ideal.
beehappy

Post by beehappy »

Most of your lab results fall into the reference range and I wouldn't overinterpret them as long as you don't have any clinical signs. Concerning Vitamin D: yes, technically speaking, you are on the low side of the reference range BUT the value of the parathyroid hormone is normal. Parathyroid hormone increases when Vitamin D is too low. Over years/decades this imbalance can lead to osteoporosis.
But in your case, everything is still ok and it's up to you whether to continue Vitamin D supplementation as before or increase the amount to reach a desired serum level. The benefits of a given level are still somewhat controversial in medical circles, in my experience patients with chronic inflammations (as in SLE, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis) may benefit from a level around 50 micrograms/l, in healthy people the difference doesn't exceed the Placebo effect much :wink:
On the practical side: a dosis of 10.000 units increases the serum level just by 1 microgram/l. So if you want to raise your level by 30 micrograms/l you'll have to take 300.000 units (at a weight of 70 kg). As higher doses can be toxic, you should not take more than 10.000 units every other day until you reach the sum. Higher concentrated capsules might be more practical but, at least in Germany, these are only available on prescription. Beware of the Internet, most (documented) Vitamin D intoxications were due to accidentally overdosed products sold online.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Officially, most people (all around the world) are low in vitamin D, at least based on recommendations.
Some of the vitamin D recommendation is based on the assumption that the intake of calcium needs to be accomodated by relatively high vitamin D levels. World wide statistics have shown however that relatively high calcium intakes are associated with increased osteoporotic fracture rates rather than lower. Relatively low levels may be perfectly healthy. High levels are associated with the precipitation of calcium salts (eg kidney stones).

So, you should always take into consideration the basis of any recommendation.
What was once considered an undisputed fact, may appear to be faulty some decades later.

This thread is about vitamin D requirements: http://www.waitalk.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 9&start=15
In this thread it is discussed what constitutes 'natural' vitamin D levels: http://www.waitalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1569