career change

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

career change

Post by johndela1 »

I have a dilema. Since I was a child I have been very interested in the way the body works. I've read hundreds of books on nutrition and exercise. I also have alwasy had an interest in computers. Somehow I ended up choosing computers as my carreer. I'm 37 and totally burnt out on computers. I want to make a carreer change. I feel that I can really help people when it comes to their health.

Is there anyone here who has a career that is directly related to
the stuff we discuss here on this forum?

Sometiems I think I should just keep this stuff as a hobby and keep my current career. Other times I think there is no way I can keep going in my current carrerr.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

I'm having similar thoughts/doubts at the moment! Probably thanks to the diet I am more in tune with myself and what I want in my life and learning how to listen to my body... I would go for what your feelings tell you! Easier said than done as I'm struggling with the same: I'm a musician, performing and teaching...But I am also really interested in health and helping people. I practice Yoga and am considering starting an Alexander technique teacher training. Also I' working on getting rid of my glasses naturally. All this as with you has been hobby so far. Now I think I want to change this... But it's scary! Fear of the unknown! Your only advantage is that probably with computers you've made some money allowing you to check out stuff for sometime. I don't have that back-up!
huntress

Post by huntress »

Sounds like you have a career burnout John. I guess this is normal since it seems like you have been doing this for the past ~20 years. When you enthusiastically decided to get into the computing field 20 years ago, did you see the possibility of being burned out in the years to come? And if you did see it, did you brush the idea aside and cover it up by convincing yourself that you will never be burned out because you are very interested in this field and at the same time have high hopes because the computing field will expand (and is expanding) and the chances of you landing in a better pay job is very likely, hence, secure future. But say if you were to get into nutrition or kinesiology instead of computing, I bet you would also question your past choices and start the 'what if' game.

I always find that whatever we do at that particular moment, be it good or bad, always seem to be right thing to do at that time.
huntress

Post by huntress »

I feel that I can really help people when it comes to their health
But I am also really interested in health and helping people
My...isn't this a popular phrase...Why don't we all go donate some blood at the hospital, because that way, not only we are helping people, but we are also contributing ourselves in the healthcare service. :P
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

huntress wrote:I always find that whatever we do at that particular moment, be it good or bad, always seem to be right thing to do at that time.
That's because it always is. Everyone does exactly what he or she wants, consciously or unconsciously.

John and Corinne, you should do what feels right to do.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Since starting this diet I have also become more tuned into what I want to do with my life, and what feels right to me. I am now considering becoming a midwife (after several years devoted to becoming an academic historian)... and I am so happy now, when I think about the career change, that I wonder why it's taken so long to get to this point. But - as Oscar says - we are all doing exactly what we've chosen (consciously or otherwise), and if we find ourselves in a trying situation (like John does) than clearly we were meant to have that experience in order to prepare us for other things.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Yep! You're right Oscar. Yet we always want and tend to blame (or praise) someone else when the going is hard (or good).
CG I'm so happy for you that you are excited about becoming a midwife and that it is so clear for you. For me changing careers seems so burdened by emotional issues. I've been a musician (taking myself TOO seriously) for 2/3 of my life now, feeling like I was more following what my parents wanted...
But I've got to stop saying it's them and just accept it's me who chose it somehow! :?
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Thanks for your encouragement, Corinne! I wish you luck in your endeavours to make less of a 'hobby' and more of a 'life' out of what really inspires you and captures your heart.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Corinne wrote: I'm a musician, performing and teaching...But I am also really interested in health and helping people.
I'm a musician, too. I'm a solo act (mostly) acoustic delta blues. I play a National Steel with a slide.

If I where single, I'd probably pursue music more. I mean profesional music more. I dont' play guitar because I get paid. I play because I like to. When I do get paid it is just extra money.

Man, I love music.

I've have thought about becomming a teacher. I'd love to teach children music. My family says I'm crazy and wouldn't be able to live on that salary. They think I need to have lots of money. I've had many high end sports cars and bought a lot of expensive toys in the past.

My last sport car got totalled (I got hit on the side by a lady comming out of a drive way. No one got hurt but the car was declared totalled.) It was a beautiful 911 1995. At that time I was starting a business and needed somethng more practical. I bought a Ford explorer. I don't have the business anymore and have had this car for about a year. Instead of buying a new Z06 I am keeping the car (no payment) so my wife can go to school full time.

I feel no need to get another expensive car and have really really simplied my life. I don't need a lot of money anymore to get buy financially and plan to keep it that way.

I feel like I have something that everyone wants/needs with the knowledge I've gotten here. I know how much it can change lives.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

huntress wrote: When you enthusiastically decided to get into the computing field 20 years ago, did you see the possibility of being burned out in the years to come? And if you did see it, did you brush the idea aside and cover it up by convincing yourself that you will never be burned out because you are very interested in this field and at the same time have high hopes because the computing field will expand (and is expanding) and the chances of you landing in a better pay job is very likely, hence, secure future.
yes, except for the job security/financial part of it which I really never considered

huntress wrote: But say if you were to get into nutrition or kinesiology instead of computing, I bet you would also question your past choices and start the 'what if' game.
Maybe

huntress wrote: I always find that whatever we do at that particular moment, be it good or bad, always seem to be right thing to do at that time.
yep
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Oscar wrote:
huntress wrote:I always find that whatever we do at that particular moment, be it good or bad, always seem to be right thing to do at that time.
That's because it always is. Everyone does exactly what he or she wants, consciously or unconsciously.

John and Corinne, you should do what feels right to do.

No offense, but if I did what felt right all the time, it would be bad (to put it mildly)

I have made HUGE mistakes that felt right but in retrospect were extremely bad choices.

Maybe, I am too emotional, but I have a way of getting 'caught up' in things.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Corinne wrote:I've been a musician (taking myself TOO seriously) for 2/3 of my life now, feeling like I was more following what my parents wanted...
wow, your parents pushed you toward music? My parents told me to do it on my own, but if I studied something more 'serious' they would help me through school

Once, when I was a kid, I told my dad I wanted to major in music. He said, ok, now I'm going to sing mary had a little lamb and I want you to sing the second harmony... GO (and he started singing)

I couldn't figure a harmony on the fly...

He told me to be more realistic. Now 20 years later he is actually surprised that I have actually stuck with music.

What country are you from? In the US, it seems that most parents don't consider music a wise career choice. The school systems dont' see it as equally important.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

johndela1 wrote:No offense, but if I did what felt right all the time, it would be bad (to put it mildly)

I have made HUGE mistakes that felt right but in retrospect were extremely bad choices.

Maybe, I am too emotional, but I have a way of getting 'caught up' in things.
I could just say that we need to make mistakes in order to learn from them, but I feel that would be too easy.

I believe we have a body, mind and soul/spirit. This division in three has been argued before, only named differently, like the Id, Ego & Superego from Freud. Ideally speaking these three whould be in perfect harmony, in perfect balance. In our 'rational' society, the mind is deemed the most important, and hence our thoughts and reason speak louder than our inner feelings (soul/spirit) and body signals.

On this diet we already learn how to get back in touch with our body signals. Now we have to get back in touch with our inner feelings. Often our reason overrules our inner feelings. I'm sure we've all experienced gut feelings (an indication that our bodies are usually more in sync with our soul/spirit than our minds), or instincts, very quickly appearing in a certain situation. Then we start thinking, and decide something else. In retrospect our gut feeling then turns out to be the right decision.

I'm not saying we should totally disregard our minds...we need to be in balance, so the mind is important too.

Hope this helps. :)
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Oscar wrote: In retrospect our gut feeling then turns out to be the right decision.
Sometimes
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

johndela1 wrote:
Oscar wrote: In retrospect our gut feeling then turns out to be the right decision.
Sometimes
I would say for some people. I've always relied a lot on my intuition and I think with age, it just gets better. Some people are taught, or have taught themselves to not trust their intuition, and I think it works against them.