pets and raw food

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
Oscar
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Oscar »

:lol:

Guess you need a few of these then:

RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

:lol:
Iris

Post by Iris »

Haha, I have this picture of a whole cat-army chasing after the chicken-man :lol: I hope they're not getting more cat-friends to come chase you :wink:

My moms cats get raw meat/bones and organs too. Before she even had them I had read all about it, but she didn't want to feed them that way. When I decided I'd take a dog, I emediately knew I'd feed him raw prey, and so I started reading about it again. This pulled my mom over the line, and since then the cats also get a proper meal :) But our cats weren't too fat, one of them was too thin actually. A few months on raw changed her appearance completely! (she put on quite some weight) That was amazing to see. She's now more beautifull then ever. Our cats made the transition very easy, but I also know there are lots of cats who don't want to eat raw once they're used to eating canned catfood. Our cat's all time favorite (and that of most cats I believe) are one-day-old chicks. I think they'll kill for the, litterally :wink: Another favorite is hare. What's also remarkable is that they all have personal preferences. One likes fish, the other organ, and the last meat.

And my experiences with feeding a dog raw are very good. It probably helped that I feed him this way ever since I've got him (when he was 8 weeks old that is), but he eats almost everything I give him. The only thing he refuses to eat is wild goose. But heh, I can't blame him...... That smell!!! It's the worse I have ever came across. He gets cow (flesh and .... how do you call it in English? Google says "pin". I mean a cow's stomach), chicken, duck, sheep, rabbit, fish if I can get a hold on it (salmon head), hare, guinea pig, and probably some more that I'm forgetting. But I think he's doing great on this diet. He looks great, and there's a lot less dogg smell (and faeces) :wink:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Iris wrote:What's also remarkable is that they all have personal preferences. One likes fish, the other organ, and the last meat.
Yes, isnt that incredible? It still amazes me.
He looks great, and there's a lot less dogg smell (and faeces) :wink:
Yes, they smell so much better indeed.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Iris,

Where do you get all that stuff? I live in a city, and wouldn't know how to find such a variety of foods for my dog.
Iris

Post by Iris »

There is a whole network here to get that stuff, hihi. Chicken carcass I get from someone who keeps it espacially for those raw pet-feeders, for € 0,10/kg. And other stuff from butchers (mostly cows products, as they cant have pig meat!) and someone who buys a bunch of meat and stuff that's been disapproved because the packiging is wrong or something (so there is nothing wrong with the meat itself). He always has very luxury meat, like rabbit, hare, pheasant, sheep heads etc. (That was one thing I had forgotten in my earlier post, sheep heads, perfect! He loves them, and it's soo easy!) And when I'm lucky some leftovers from hunters (like hare heads) or solmon heads at the market (for free). And at an islamitic butcher I get bones for free, from cow's, goats or sheep. He can take the marrow out. He likes doing that, keeps him busy :lol:

For cats it's quite easy to buy them prey at a petstore, they sell mice, guinea piggs, one-day chicks etc for reptiles. But that's quite expensive.... (except for the one-day-old chicks) Our cats only get the last, the chicken carcass I mentioned, chicken organs from the market, raw sardines (frozen, from a Turkisch shop), and hare meat (from the merchant I mentioned) (and yolk sacks, haha :lol: )
It's quite some work packing it, especially for my dog, as he eats between 1,7 and 2 kg a day... I have a huge freezer especially for him :oops:
Iris

Post by Iris »

Haven't you got an islamitic butcher near you? You live in the US, so I don't know how things are there, but here, the big city is where the best islamitic butchers are. They sell all kinkd of things, and not that expensive. Goat, cow, sheep, rabbit, chicken and so on. And you don't have to be afraid they put some pig meat in the sack (which happens every now and then at "normal" butchers), as most of them don't even sell that.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

cool
Iris

Post by Iris »

For those who have or are getting a pupppy dog (or for whatever other reason give their dog treats) you can also dehydrate stuff. I always dehydrate liver, as this is quite cheap here. Caleb (my dog :)) loves it, he'll do anything for it. He never gets something different, but it doesn't bore him. My halfsister's dog is sooooooo happy when he sees me :roll: :lol:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, dehydrating stuff is magical. Ancient peoples used to dehydrate fish and meat in the open air, so that they could keep it for months. And dogs love it because they got to chew on it.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Indeed, my dog Caleb chews on a tiny piece of approx. 1x1 cm for half a minute at least!
Iris

Post by Iris »

Does anyone know anything about/have experience with fasting for dogs??? I know it's important for cats to eat regularly, but for dogs it is often said to be good for them.....
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

My guess would be it's the same as for humans.
Iris

Post by Iris »

hmm, dog's digestion system is totaly different then human's... In nature dogs don't eat very frequently, so their entire digestive system is programmed to fast... At least, that's the theory.....
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Uhm, my answer was to the fasting per se, but I don't know enough about dogs to say anything about their dietary habits concerning the frequency. RRM might be able to tell more about that.