pets and raw food

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by RRM »

nah, me neither...
Iris

Post by Iris »

aaaah, come on you guys, what good are you!?! :lol: I'm joking.

I'm going to try it at least. I just wanted to make sure there are no objections that I don't know of. And since your opinion is highly valued by me I posted it here. But now I'll just have to trust my own judgement I guess :lol:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I'm from Barcelona... ;)
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

My last dog did well on a all raw diet. I just bought what was ever on sale. Lots of beef with bones, ground beef, kidneys, chicken, etc.

She did great.

Our new dog was dong fine when we adopted her. After two months of the same raw diet she is constant scratching (no fleas). I was told that for manydogs just eating raw meat is not enough. They claim that theyneed 'veggies' and stuff from the prey animals stomach. I'm putting her on a super high quility dry food (no grains at all). I'm waiting to see if this help her skin condition.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I don't really see what veggies would bring to a carnivore though.
Iris

Post by Iris »

johndela1 wrote:My last dog did well on a all raw diet. I just bought what was ever on sale. Lots of beef with bones, ground beef, kidneys, chicken, etc.

She did great.

Our new dog was dong fine when we adopted her. After two months of the same raw diet she is constant scratching (no fleas). I was told that for manydogs just eating raw meat is not enough. They claim that theyneed 'veggies' and stuff from the prey animals stomach. I'm putting her on a super high quility dry food (no grains at all). I'm waiting to see if this help her skin condition.
I don't think vegetables are any good for dogs. They can't even digest it, so if you want them to eat it because of the nutrients it contains you'd have to blend it.... Not very natural I think. If you want to imitate a prey's stomach content, you could also ask a butcher for the real stomach content (usually you can even get it for free!). But I think just giving them tribe regularly is enough (and then of course not bleeched tribe, but real dirty, smelly and green :D )

The symptoms you describe sound like an allergic reaction to me. Can you describe exactly what you where giving her and how much? And are you sure it can't be an allergic reaction to flees? (1 flee can be enough....)
Another possibility is that it is an reaction to her change of diet. What was she used to eat? If it was kibble, then it might be she is shedding her fur and she'll get a beautifull shiny fur in it's place. In my opinion it is ALWAYS best to give them raw meat, bones and organs.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I can't describe what I give her and how much. I fed her in a ad hoc way. I would buy what was no sale and just eyeball out her feedings. Very uncontrolled. If she ran a lot that day, I'd give her a bit more. Her typical diet was, liver, chicken (whole but cut up), turkey parts, beef with bones, eggs.

Her skin is really dry
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

In general, skin dryness with pets is caused by too much protein / too little fat.
So, please try to give your pet more fatty foods, or poor some oil over all its foods.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Ok, but she was used to eat kibble/dry processed food?
And is her skin also red or any other visible abnormalities (besides the dryness)
Iris

Post by Iris »

RRM wrote:In general, skin dryness with pets is caused by too much protein / too little fat.
So, please try to give your pet more fatty foods, or poor some oil over all its foods.
what might help then is give her coconut oil. It is said to be good for all types of skin conditions (like allergic reactions etc) I wouldn't give her other plant based oils (I don't know the right word) If you don't want to/can't give her coconut oil I'd try some animal's fat (sheepfat for example, but whatch out it is not processed)
Iris

Post by Iris »

Oh and it might also be you are not feeding her enough bones. In general cow's bones are to hard for them to crack, so they'll just eat the meat and leave the bone for what it is. Only bones from very young large animals will be eaten. So whole chicken is perfect, but beef with bones and some organs are not when they don't eat the bone.
Iris

Post by Iris »

For those interested in feeding their pets a natural raw food diet, this might be interesting: http://natuurlijkevoeding.yourbb.nl/index.php

It's a dutch discussion board, but language can be set at nearly any language. This september, an Australian pro-raw vet -Tom Lonsdale- will visit this discussion board and answer readers' questions. Everybody is free to sign up and ask his advise.
balbazor

Raw cats, DO IT!

Post by balbazor »

Hi, I feed my cats RAW now after my baby got sick. The Vet was against it but i did not listen to her, and my cat is now fine! I give her:

- Wild raw meat or checken hearts
- egg yolk
- Salmon ( Only a little)
- Bone meal

I mix Everything fresh for her 3 times per day, and she loves it now. Dont give up if your cat does not like it at first. The cat is a "junkie" and need to first go from dry food, to tunafish, and then to raw. This will take 1-2 month, but dont give up!! You will save the money on vet bills! Get the dry food out of the house because the cat can smell it! The funny thing is that we almost eat the same thing now :)
Iris

Post by Iris »

Some cats will never get used to it, though. I know lots of them. The "problem" with cats is, you can't deprive them from food. They need to eat something every day, because if they don't they're at risk of some kind of liver decease (I'm sorry, I don't know what it is called in English ) :oops: So it's much more difficult to get your cat to eat raw prey than it is getting your dog to eat it. I know cases where it took more than a year...

Nevertheless, I agree it is worth every effort :D
balbazor

Raw

Post by balbazor »

Yes, i think you are right, you need to give the cat some food every day.

This is the best links i have found about cats and raw food:

http://www.catnutrition.org/pictorial.php
http://www.catinfo.org/
http://www.maxshouse.com/

http://www.wikihow.com/Communicate-with-Your-Cat (Bonus) :)

Read everything before you start, it is very important for you to succeed!

Your cat deserves to get the best possible food from you, if not, you should not have a cat..., sorry! Do this now before the cat get sick, and tears start rolling on your face! Good luck!