pets and raw food

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
Cairidh
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Cairidh »

RRM wrote:
Cairidh wrote:I used to give my dogs raw meat and meaty bones then one day one dog choked quite badly, and wouldnt eat for a few days after because he was so scared, so we stopped with that altogether.
Wouldnt it be more appropriate to stop giving the dogs bones that they can choke on, instead of stop giving them raw meat???
My dog was so upset and scared he wouldnt eat for three days, and I thought it was cruel to make him keep eating meaty bones when he was now so scared. I thought you had to feed bones as well as meat?
RRM wrote:
It made them a bit savage I think.
You really believe this?
Or did you witness that they really liked the raw meat?
My little dog is grumpy anyway. He was a rescue dog, very cruelly treated for the first 3 years of his life, and very savage when we adopted him. He bit very viciously, and attacked regularly. He doesn't do that anymore. He's learnt not to and we've learned how to handle him. But he still snarls and attempts to bite sometimes. (But we dodge, so he doesn't get us) The raw meaty bones diet made him much more snarly and aggressive. And when actually in the middle of eating them he was a demon dog :evil: lol more savage than I've ever seen him. He was vile.
He's also a very sweet loving adorable Shih Tzu. Even when we first got him I could kiss him on the lips, and pick him up and cuddle him, and he'd purr (Shih Tzus purr like cats). It's just if you make the wrong move he gets scared and attacked.
The other dog was also very aggressive and snarly while actually eating.

I don't know what you mean by "Or did you witness that they really liked the raw meat". They prefer cooked meat, but they did sort of attack the raw food in a way they don't with cooked.
RRM wrote:
I know the websites say it doesn't bring out their "killer instincts" and thats a myth, but with my dogs, it did.
What did they do, attack you?
Yes
avo

Post by avo »

Ma'am, could you please describe the dog that attacked you? :D

Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

Lol!!!!! :lol:

*claps*

very clever.

He's completely gray so he *can* look a bit thuggy...honest.

Thing is, the shape of the jaw is such that the teeth are lethal. You get incredible wounds, blood and gore and blue and purple veins spurting everywhere. Tehe.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Oscar wrote:
Cairidh wrote:Yep humans contain parasites too, that's why you should never feed your pets humans.
LOL!

I'm wondering about the whole parasite issue. In the wild, so to speak, we must've had the same parasites in our food, no? So wouldn't a healthy body be capable of dealing with them?

I'm not sure if dogs need to eat anything else, so raw meat, fish, and possibly eggs would do, I suppose.
That's theoretically very true - we say let nature do its selection, after all, it's a dog eat dog's world. But in nature, wolves don't have caretakers like johndela1 that would first ask for safety tips on a forum before proceeding to feed his dogs with raw meat.

Also, I hate to point out Johndela1, but your logic does seem to have its flaws. You say that because your dog so far has been doing OK, there will be no future danger? Should the research be a bit more thorough than that? The terrible stuff that I read on the net mostly come from mournful pet owners who made the mistake of being negligeant once...

I just would'nt bet on the life of my pet. If feeding raw, I'd try to get organic, fresh meat. Good luck!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Chin-Chin wrote:You say that because your dog so far has been doing OK, there will be no future danger? Should the research be a bit more thorough than that? The terrible stuff that I read on the net mostly come from mournful pet owners who made the mistake of being negligeant once...
You can read lots of scaremongering stuff on the web, indeed.
However, if you feed your dog canned foods, or cooked foods, then it will be SURE that they ingest nasty compounds on a daily basis.
I just would'nt bet on the life of my pet. If feeding raw, I'd try to get organic, fresh meat.
I agree with you that it would be best to feed them raw meat from organic origin, and from a trusted origin regarding parasites / Ecoli.
Betting on canned / cooked food out of fear for parasites / Ecoli, is however not a safe bet at all.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Cairidh wrote:The other dog was also very aggressive and snarly while actually eating.
They prefer cooked meat, but they did sort of attack the raw food in a way they don't with cooked.
Thats my point.
You (finally!) gave them what they really needed, so that they will indeed 'attack' that healthy food, as they are afraid you might take it away from them before they have finished. Once they would have gotten to the point that they could trust they would keep on receiving that what they really need, they would have become more relaxed about it.
What you gave them, was what they really need.
Then you took it away again...
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ive been doing an experiment for a couple of months (since February).

I live in a short but wide street where no cars are allowed and many people have cats. Many of these cats are overweight and canned-food junkies. Most of the time there are a few small plates containing canned food in front of one or more of the houses.
Close by there is a school and kids passing through our street call it 'cat-street'.
My cats only get raw food, and one time i had some extra left over, so i wanted to give it to one of the neighbour's cats in the street. Not one of them wanted the raw meat; they sniffed, but didnt take it.
That made me wonder.

I started checking out what cat might be most prone to trying it anyway. Naturally, i chose a lean cat (assuming it to be least addicted).
He ate a few pieces.
The next time i saw him again, i gave him some raw meat again, and he ate more than the first day.
From that day on he started coming to my house, and eventually he ate the raw meat every day; no small bits but whole meals.
That got the other cats curious and more cats started trying the raw food.

Its now at the point that when i arrive home from work, on my bicycle, cats come from different directions to run with me to my house. Im now feeding about 10 cats daily. I usually give them raw chicken, because its cheapest. Most male cats also like raw mackerel, tuna or salmon, but the females prefer chicken.
They dont take my food because they need it (in the sense of calories, or taste), because they all get plenty (or too much) to eat at home. Obviously, it makes them feel good. Somehow, they feel its good for them.

It wasnt very smart of me to start this experiment, though, because how to end it?
3 of them occasionally stand up to my door and crawl on the glass window when im late feeding them... And all of them look so cute when the food is due... They know how to manipulate...
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Haha thats class RRM.

Was thinking about transferring my dog (a long-haired Miniature Daschund) onto a raw diet.

The only thing was what to actually feed him. Totally forgot about Chicken (fish is too expensive). I think i may go ahead and try chicken. Its pretty cheap and can be bought in bulk and frozen.
Negativity is the cult of the weak
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

My dog eats raw chicken, beef, yolks mostly. I share my fruit with her for a treat from time to time.

She is 12 years old and looks and acts like a young dog.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hahaha! Very interesting experiment. Maybe you could go to the owners and explain, so they can take over?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I already did that, but they prefer the much cheaper canned food... :(
Thats even true for a neighbour who has 6 cats and who is a bit jealous of my current popularity with the cats. She doesnt want to show it to anyone, but i noticed that for a period of time she tried to lock up her cats right before i came home. However, the cats adjusted to that, and decided to sneak out of the house earlier, and stay away until they had received their raw chicken.
I told her that my popularity isnt about me, but about what i give them, raw chicken. Nevertheless...
I still find it weird that she doesnt want to spend a little more money on chicken, because in the past years she spend a LOT more money on paying the bills of the vetenarian.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hmm, that's too bad... Guess you'll just have to continue then... ;)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

:shock:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Meeeoowwww!!!

RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

ha ha, yes, but its more like this: