Wai followers and academia

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
Oscar
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Oscar »

We've talked about this in the "Teeth" topic. Dental knowledge is based upon cooked diets, so what we know might not be completely applicable for the Wai diet. Normally OJ sipping would erode the enamel, but there must be more factors which play a role.
andyville

Post by andyville »

Oscar:

I checked the "teeth" topic, thanks.

"if you're convinced of the Wai Diet and the surrounding philosophy, you could also get frustrated in medical school"

Could you please elaborate on that?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Western medicin is based upon symptomatic treatment. Prevention isn't such a hot item, and as such doesn't have priority at all. It also has its set of truths, based on the assumption that degenerative disease is part of our lives, and part of our genetic makeup, so all we can do is wait until you get it, and then treat it with medicin. Nutritional knowledge will be what the general public now believes.

So frustration might come in because you have nutritional knowledge, which contradicts what you will be taught.

Of course the basic knowledge like embryology, biochemistry, physiology, cytology, anatomy, as well as actual operation techniques, treatment of fractures, etc, can be very useful, and are things our society needs.
andyville

Post by andyville »

Very, very interesting Oscar. What you wrote above is the very reason why I am most interested in becoming a surgeon (preferrably a plastic surgeon) instead of that doctor who prescribes medicines all day.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Go for it. :)
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Hi again andy!

Seems like you feel like studying medicine. I would definitly go for it. Wish sometimes I had studied it...

My advice, since you are doing a Vipassana course is to observe your thoughts and feelings about this (and many other aspects of your life) during your break times during the course. Not during the meditation though!:
you'll be too busy observing...
andyville

Post by andyville »

Corinne:

That's a great piece of advice, and actually something I was intending to do. Thanks!
andyville

Post by andyville »

... oh, by the way - what DID you study Corinne?