Wai followers and academia

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
andyville
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Wai followers and academia

Post by andyville »

Hello friends,

I'm a bit curious to find out about what kind of academic careers other Wai followers have gone through?

I'm personally writing my master's thesis in computer science, but since I started going Wai a while ago, I kind of regret that I never applied to med school which was my other option a few years back - my interest in the human body and how it works has really grown strong, and I don't like not being able to participate in "hardcore" discussions on nutrition simply because I lack the scientifical understanding of chemistry and biology... Anyway, no regrets I guess. :?

Anyway - what academic backgrounds do you guys come from?
Agent

Post by Agent »

Same as you, Software Engineering. Not quite at the stage of writing a thesis. I too have wondered recently if I am going down the right path.
avo

Post by avo »

Great question! I just graduated from high school, planning on starting college soon. I am an honors student, overall average of 94. However, I have no idea what I want to do, nothing has sparked my interest. I could go into medical sciences, but from what I have heard, it is mostly about how to decide on prescribing the right medication, rather than truly understand and get to the root of the problem. Perhaps some kind of alternative medicine/nutrition? I am good in both math and science, and I spend a lot of time on computers. Environment and sustainable agriculture are also pretty big interests, but I am not too sure about what profession or career path would seam well with these. I'd love to be able to travel to other countries occasionally, particularly warm and tropical places (I've never been out of Northeast US!). I have a good amount of artistic ability, currently working as a cake decorator (!).

So if anyone has any advice or suggestions, it's greatly appreciated!
avalon

Post by avalon »

I'm an Artist, but am presently looking into holistic/natural hygiene courses. Going Raw for the last few months has really opened my eyes and interests. I do have to say that before Wai, I never thought about what enzymes are working where in our bodies etc. and have been studying online bioligy resources for more information.

When I was a kid i wanted to be a Doctor. But later on realized I wanted to only be playing Doctor :shock:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I'm officially a dentist, worked as a computer programmer, and am currently busy as a musician.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

I'm a musician (did the whole conservatory thing!). I play also teach music (cello) and french.
Next year I'm planning on starting the 3 year Alexander Technique trainning course.
I sometimes wish I had gone into medicine...But as somebody said they are mostly busy with learning which medicines to prescribe!
:wink:
rafaelo

Post by rafaelo »

oscar, any good dental advice? i'm studying for my lsats, right now. (law school entrance exam)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

rafaelo wrote:oscar, any good dental advice? i'm studying for my lsats, right now. (law school entrance exam)
Sure. Be very very sure of your case before you sue a dentist, because dental malpraxis is very hard to prove.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I'm a computer programmer. I used to love it but am starting to get burnt out. I want to change careers but dont' know what to do. I've been thinking about teaching. I also am interested in becomming a nutritionist but I am so confused on how to eat that I would feel odd giving strong advice. I used to tell people not to eat meat, now I tell them to eat meat...

I also am a musician. mainly guitar (delta blues)
andyville

Post by andyville »

IN SERIOUS NEED OF ADVICE FROM ALL OF YOU BRILLIANT WAI PEOPLE OUT THERE

I'm about to turn 24 and I feel like I have a very important decision to make this fall, once I've finished my computer science degree - go on to med school or law school. What should I pick? Do you have any good or bad experiences to share in these fields, or any advice that are just wise in general? I know I have to make up my own mind about this, obviously, but when you think about these Big Decisions that will affect your life in a Big way, it's always nice to discuss them with other people... Thanks guys! :)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Well Andy, I think this is a bit difficult to say for someone who doesn't really know you. In general my advice would be: do what you feel like doing, what you see yourself doing in the future. If you think you need to choose between fun (something you like doing) and money (something which pays well), choose fun.

In both medical and law school you can learn a lot, so it depends on where your interest lies. If you're convinced of the Wai Diet and the surrounding philosophy, you could also get frustrated in medical school, even though you will get to understand the basic functioning of the human body.
Law school never really appealed to me, because all these legal issues, law technicalities, etc, seem kinda boring to me. But that's all very personal.
andyville

Post by andyville »

Oscar:

Thanks a bunch for your advice; I guess "fun" before "money" is rather sound. What were your experiences like, studying to become a dentist?

I guess I have to realize that medicine is my main interest - I'm extremely interested in the beauty concept (which is the main reason for my interest in this diet) and would love to work as a plastic surgeon... So I guess that's the path I have to take.

The only aspects of law school that I find appealing is the status and the money... But I suspect chances are that after 10 years of working as a lawyer, I would start asking myself "what the !#¤# am I doing with my life?" :)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Then it seems your choice is already made. :)

I liked studying dentistry. I learned a lot there, not only about the human body and helping people, but also about myself. The knowledge I gathered there I still use today, thinking about diet and posting on this forum.
avalon

Post by avalon »

andy,
The only aspects of law school that I find appealing is the status and the money...
Lets see, money, status... what about SEX!

The general population hates Lawyers unless their needed, right? Maybe? And unless you fall in love with another Lawyer, you'll never be trusted.

Doctors, especially Plastic Surgeons are loved by all :shock: ehh, if you don't drink while operating kind-a-thing...Nip Tuck and all...

Become a leading nutritionist and write your own diet book and we'll all get to buy your book! :D
andyville

Post by andyville »

avalon:

That's a really good idea! :) I've actually been thinking about why the people on these boards who seem to know their stuff don't get together and write a book? It could make some serious $$$ and spread the word about the diet at the same time!

Oscar:

I'd like to ask you something else - what would you say about the Wai diet from a dentist's perspective? This constant sipping of orange juice all day long must surely do some serious harm to your teeth, right? Any advice on how to eliminate the problem...?