Now living in Florida!

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
avo
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Now living in Florida!

Post by avo »

Hi everyone! I haven't been by recently for some time, I moved to St. Petersburg, Florida, and still in the process of getting settled in. Just had a third of a pound of sushi grade yellowfin tuna from a local store, pretty good stuff, have't had raw fish for a couple years now. It's hard to find any eggs, probably easier to find my own wild duck eggs in the marshes! :D Lots of fruits down here, however nothing really local (stickers say Mexico or California), except the Florida avocados that are in season now. I've been buying eggs at the local health food store, taste is not as good as from the hens in a neighbors backyard when I was still in upstate NY. I'm in a condo on St. Pete Beach, about a block from the gulf. The waters great! I'm looking for an apartment/condo/small house/mobile home near the community college because I am planning on going to school there. I need something cheap, either less than $400 a month rent or less than 85k for a condo/bungalo(sp?), maybe 2 bedrooms and split with a room mate? I'd rather not buy a car, use a bike instead, but if I'm too far from campus I'll have to. I'll be getting my laptop with wireless internet soon, so I won't need to rely on the local library. I'll drop in tomorrow, I'm gonna go eat, swim, and then watch some Lost and eat the rest of my sashimi. I don't think it's frozen, the other fish they had were not. Weather is sunny and hot, rains for an hour or two every afternoon/night, it is rain season.

Hope everyone else is doing ok, I have not had the chance to read up on many topics, I will some other time.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Welcome back! Sounds like you're doing good there in the south. :D
rischott

Post by rischott »

Hey, you want to get bulk fruit?
Take 275 North over the bridge into Tampa, keep on 275 and go past the route 4 junction (there is construction so be careful) and then get off the Hillsborough ave exit. Make a right at the light. Go for less than a mile and right after the burger king there are several fruit distributers. The first is Sanwa international, the next is a huge parking lot with big trucks in it (just park and go inside, i've find a case of 20 honey mangos for $3 before), and the 3rd is just past the light, it is several stands where you can purchase any fruit that isn't 'bulk'. So, I usually got a case of 88 count oranges at Sanwa for $15, mangos at the next place, and then I would go to the third to purchase a few things that weren't bulk.
Hope this helps. I'll be back in St. Pete (around 4th st and 100 ave) next month, maybe we can meet for lunch or something.
-Rich-
avo

Post by avo »

Thanks for the tip, Rich! I don't have a car right now, so maybe in a short while. I also heard there are some egg producers up near Tampa, so I've been looking for an excuse to go there. The traffic is really bad though, even moreso due to traffic. I've been thinking of getting a motorcycle, as I won't need to pay insurance or any monthly payments (as I would if I had a car instead), very little gas and some upkeep. But when you are back in St Petersburg, let me know, we can get some sashimi or durian or something. :D

Oh, I almost forgot, I just discovered that there are two very big mango trees within the condo complex where I am staying! I was told by my neighbor that they only have fruit every other year, and this year they do! I had a couple ripe ones that fell off the tree, they are amazing compared to what you find in the store! The flesh is deep orange and much more flavor than the 3 for $1 I just bought at a super market. Later this evening me and my neighbor are going to go climb it and get a bunch of them. I can't believe that I didn't notice this sooner, it all started with a half eaten mango I saw in the nearby parking lot.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Wow, sounds great! :D