Attachment MOD on PHPBB

Web-lay-out suggestions, functionality, reporting dead links etc
Gavriel
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Attachment MOD on PHPBB

Post by Gavriel »

Hi people,

Remember me? I started the diet four years ago.
Still going 100% on it (and no nuts)
very healthy very happy.

This post is about a potential technical improvement to the Bulletin Board.

I noticed that you moved to a phpbb forum whcih gives many new possibilities.
In fact, I am using a phpbb forum myself since a short while and have some experience with it.

My suggestion is to add the full Attachment MOD to this forum.
It is very easy to do (I am sure that Oscar could do it if he has access to the server otherwise I could help myself when in Holland the next time).

The attachment MOD allows you to upload files into your posts on the forum. It is a GREAT way to share impressions and share information.
Think of it, people would be able to post photos of their skin, foods, voice messages, excel files etc etc...

You can ADMIN any aspect of the MOD and it works in a very stable way.
For example, you could allow only specific users [moderators, and "veteran users"] to use the attach functions.
If you are concerned with storage - there is a possibility to set the MOD to erase old attachments automatically.

For an example of how the attachments look have a look at my brand new forum (online since 3 days):
http://www.forum.lipkind.info

My forum has a different look & feel but it is of course available in the standard "SubSilver" template as well.

I strongly believe that this could make the forum more lively and the information more immidiately vibrant in the minds of newcomers.

Wai and this forum saved my life four years ago and I am doing my best to direct as many people to this place as I can.

I hope you take this advice.

Here is the link to the MOD's developer:
http://www.opentools.de/board/viewtopic ... 98b1ed7536

And here is the original forum about the MOD on phpbb.com:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... hement+mod

Cheers and warmest greetings,

Gavriel.
Gavriel

Post by Gavriel »

Nother note:
This MOD is well managed and always suplies a new version on time when a new phpbb version is avaioable. SO there is no problem with updating...

G.
Brian
Administrator

Post by Brian »

It sounds like a good idea if it were restricted to more trusted users (to avoid virus issues, if we think that could be an issue).

If Wai/RRM think it's a good idea, I'd be happy to install it.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hey Gavi, good to see you on the forum! :D

Uploading files is indeed easier than uploading them to your own provider and linking from there.

Maybe there are other mods which are also worth installing?
Gavriel

Post by Gavriel »

Hey Oscar! :D
[wowww... You seem to have gone such a long way on the diet since our Sashimi together in A'dam - bravo]

About the MODs:
Yes there are plenty plenty of interesting and usefull MODs. Many are excellent scripts, however, most of them will have issues with updating.
The more MODs you have installed the more difficult it becomes to update the version of the phpbb forum itself.
[by the way, I hope that you are using the latest version right now (2.0.19)]

Besides, I find that the other MODs (for example: chat, quick reply, advanced statistics, drag'ndrop support for pictures, IP banning, Ranks, whosonline, advances Java formatting of messages etc...) are not really as essencial as the crucial possibility to make the mod an interactive multimedial exchange platform (which is what the Attachement mod does)...

The first thing to do is to backup all the root directory of the forum (everything) and then backup the DB from the admin panel.

Then you can install a second forum on the webspace, install the latest version first (2.0.19). Then go to opentools website and download the zip file with the premoded AttachMOD files.
write the files (keeping the directory structure) over the new forum's files...
See if you like the result.

Setting special permissions is easy.
One coudl also automate it by setting a new special rank (for example advances member) in the moderators group... and alowing all moderators to upload files.

One thing which I programmed in myself into my attachMOD are the special attachement "categories" which means that a file with a specific extenssion will be opened with a specific program (=plugin) in a specific way (inline/phisical/per link). This automation is very usefull if you want to make sure the files open correctly on all systems.

Alternatively you coudl just set all attachement to be shown as a url link that opens in a new window. (I just like when it shows within the post...).

I will be around should you have any questions.

Cheers

Gavriel.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Thank you for your contribution Gavriel; its so good to see you here, and in good health and happiness.
Are virusses an issue regarding the attachments?

I noticed we dont have your testimony...
would you be willing to write one? It would be very useful for others who consider giving the diet a try, since it has already been 4 years for you.
Gavriel

Post by Gavriel »

I'll try to do the testimony as soon as I can.
(I am producing a music recording right now and jump to the forum for a moment every now and then...).

The viruses are not an issue as long as you keep the forum software updated.

Also, do not forget to backup the DBs and the registry files. Backing up is very easy and can be automated on any computer...

Happy to know that Wai is doing well... :)

Is any of you well versed in php programming?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Thanks Gavi :D
[Looking forward to eating sashimi with you again!]

I don't know anything about php, I'm afraid.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Brian knows about PHP programming...
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think I would like this mod: Keep unread flags

It keeps the unread flags up until you've actually read the topics.
Gavriel

Post by Gavriel »

well if you really want to go wild on MODs then....

you should simply install the:
1) CH MOD (Category hirarchy MOD) a most complex MOD on the net... changes mayn many features in teh admin panel as well... allows sub categories and sub forums...

2) Knowledge Base MOD. Many littel adjuctements... a compilation really

3) the ATTACH MOD mentioned above

Install in that order...

cheers
Gavriel.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

BTW, thanks for this new board! It looks and works much better than the old one! :D
Gavriel

Post by Gavriel »

Oscar wrote:BTW, thanks for this new board! It looks and works much better than the old one! :D
WHat do you mean??
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The board got transferred to this phpbb :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I think I would like this mod: Keep unread flags
Maybe you should talk to Brian; he can show you how