WaiWiki?

Web-lay-out suggestions, functionality, reporting dead links etc
Oscar
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: WaiWiki?

Post by Oscar »

RRM wrote:Where wikipedia has its "puzzle-earth" as its logo, I would love to have this orange as ours. What do you think?
orange.jpg
Looking into it...
...done!
overkees

Post by overkees »

RRM wrote:
overkees wrote:But the references need to be at the bottem, I think that looks neater and is more like the official wiki way. Am I free to change it?
I actually prefer them to be right at the spot, so that you can immediately get to the related pubmed summary or free article.
But can't we just make small numbers in superscript that immediately link to the pubmed page instead? I find it really annoying with all the names of the people who did the research in the screen. It is just plain ugly and not professional. Maybe on the forum you can do that, but not in an article.

I must admit that I find it annoying too that I have to click once on wikipedia and it will go to the bottem and then I've got to click again (if there is a link already) to go to the side. But the big fat names in the screen is just plain ugly, yuck.
dime

Post by dime »

overkees, there are several ways how you reference in scientific articles (usually depending on the journal), and in medicine/biology as I've seen mostly the author names are used. In other areas like computer science it's more common to use numbers, or initials of the authors. The problem with using numbers on the wiki page is that you have to take care to not repeat any, or skip any number.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Name references are indeed an accepted way of referencing. On the other hand, there is always a list with the references included as well, to which the numbers or the names refer. So I suppose we have to decide how officially scientific we want to be.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dime wrote:The problem with using numbers on the wiki page is that you have to take care to not repeat any, or skip any number.
Particularly now that we are still very much in the beginning,
which means a lot of editing, re-editing, and then its very easy to get lost in the numbers,
as you have to rearrange these all the time.
When an article is considered finished (though is it ever?), numbers might look better.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

On the other hand, since we are in the beginning, maybe it's easier to start using numbers now already, unless transfer in bulk is more important (for now) than rewriting?
Btw, for an idea of what is possible (well, lots of css work is needed for this kind of page) layout-wise: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page
dime

Post by dime »

Let's keep it simple and stupid and easy to write and edit :) We can use numbers only as direct links (without the full references at the bottom), but let's agree on one referencing scheme from the start and use it consistently?

Can I suggest this extension btw, which would allow to directly copy paste text from the forum to the wiki: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:BBCode

p.s. I can't believe there's a whole wiki for some game.. :O
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

dime wrote:Can I suggest this extension btw, which would allow to directly copy paste text from the forum to the wiki: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:BBCode

p.s. I can't believe there's a whole wiki for some game.. :O
I'll install that extension soon.

The game Star Craft is a national sport in Korea... ;)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dime wrote:Let's keep it simple and stupid and easy to write and edit :) We can use numbers only as direct links (without the full references at the bottom), but let's agree on one referencing scheme from the start and use it consistently?
Then lets keep on doing what we do now. (Pubmed-hyperlinked author's name right at the spot)
Using numbers means that when you start moving/editing something that includes references, you may need to rearrange the numbers,
which is easily messed up.
The way we do it now is most easy and simple to (re)edit; its idiot-proof :)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I've installed the BBCode extension now, including the h1 - h6 tags.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Perfect!
dime

Post by dime »

I discovered that simply putting the link inside the brackets e.g. [link] will render to a number 1-N, and the sequence is automatically maintained. So I guess we can just do it like this? It's easiest :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Cool 8)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Oscar, when you can find some time (maybe if you lose the sun-glasses) 8)
could you please add WaiWiki to the top of all the WaiWorld pages? (next to WaiWorld, WaiDiet, etc) and remove WaiSays from that bar, and also the WaiSays articles (not from the server alltogether, but from the public part). Eventually, im aiming at replacing all the (hopelessly outdated) WaiSays articles by WaiWiki articles (yes i got a little side-tracked by nitrate etc),
so i need to remain able to access those articles, of course.
Maybe we can demote WaiSays.com to an introduction page of the filosophy behind the diet, or something?
Or maybe the Wai diet 'rules'? (Wai says not to eat ...)
hmmm... (doesnt sound right)
Any suggestions anyone?
Maybe about how to skim through scientific articles?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think replacing WaiSays with WaiWiki is a good idea. However, I don't think the WaiWiki is yet ready for 'customers'. It needs at least a somewhat presentable intro/main page. Maybe that introduction page of the philosophy behind the diet can be on it as well.
Are all of the articles currently on WaiSays outdated (Maia is already crying about her translation of the "genetics" article)?