Posts not posted

Web-lay-out suggestions, functionality, reporting dead links etc
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Posts not posted

Post by RRM »

I tried to move the glucosamine thread to the specific nutrients / food constituents forum, but I failed 8 times in a row...
panacea

Post by panacea »

@Everyone I have made many forums in my day with phpbb and here's my advice:

It most likely is a cookies or permission issue in the phpbb settings. Investigate who has access to these settings, if only one person, they need to ask themselves if they have tinkered with any settings or been hanging out in the admin panel around the date of RRM's original first post in this thread. If multiple people, then someone needs to reset cookie settings to defaults.

If you want to solve a technical issue like this, you have to collect evidence in a systematic manner. Take screenshots of everything that happens if it happens more than once (like 8 times in a row)

Then whoever is in charge of the phpbb admin panel can investigate relevant things like permissions, cookies, etc.

Or the phpbb admin can do a shotgun approach and remove every "add in" and "plugin" from the core phpbb (it will not remove any post data), then reset phpbb to default settings, then see if it solves the problem. if it doesn't, it is related to individual's computers.

However, it cannot be related to Chrome, or new releases of IE. Even though IE sucks and breaks tons of websites, phpBB is ancient, and it has been modified time and time again to work will all modern browsers.

What can break it though is individual browser settings like cookies, but that is extremely rare and would not happen to multiple people on a small forum.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Thank you panacea!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I don't think I've ever changed any cookie settings. Maybe you could delete your wai cookies (contradictio in terminis?) and see if that helps?
Some permissions were changed, but like 2 years ago or so.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Oscar wrote:Maybe you could delete your wai cookies (contradictio in terminis?) and see if that helps?
No, not a bit.
Its soooo fucking annoying.
It takes me at least 3 times as much time nowadays to post stuff. (time I rather spend with my kids than wasting it on a malfunctioning forum)
Moving threads is nearly impossible for me.
Try moving the "Nutrient calculator" thread from the "specific nutrients" forum to "beginners issues"....
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

RRM wrote:Try moving the "Nutrient calculator" thread from the "specific nutrients" forum to "beginners issues"....
I came, I saw, I moved. First try. Sorry ;)
panacea

Post by panacea »

If you guys make me administrator for a day then I'll try to fix it, it isn't a personal browser cookies issue as I clear out all browser data at work every day
panacea

Post by panacea »

test1
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Done. Hope you can fix this glitch :)
panacea

Post by panacea »

I looked everywhere in the ACP and nothing is out of the ordinary except the tapatalk plugin/mod.. I don't know how long it's been there or if it affects anything but that would be the most likely suspect.
Also, Oscar or some other administrator who is a "founder" has the special permission to go to the Admin control panel (the first page called "General" settings or something) and find a button called purge cache. It won't delete any post data or anything it just clears out a lot of junk, if it hasn't ever been done it's a good idea to try as it could fix it.

If it's not those two things then it could be FTP permission settings (unlikely unless someone has been messing with it) or your hosting provider if you don't pay a lot for hosting, it's probably such a cheap provider it can't handle database stuff like this forum. It's not uncommon for the same host to be good one year, and terrible the next, especially if it's a cheap one, which would explain why it's only happening now. I noticed in the control panel, that database requests were very slow. This wouldn't affect the speed of viewing the forum, just actions like moving topics or posting, which is all related to the hosting provider.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I've purged the cache on a few occasions. I'll update the Tapatalk plugin and see if that changes anything. Thanks for the help :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Oscar wrote:I've purged the cache on a few occasions. I'll update the Tapatalk plugin and see if that changes anything. Thanks for the help :)
This is funny.
I wanted to post that I actually had the first failure-free Wai session since a long time (I even split, merged and moved stuff),
and then that message did not get posted.
Maybe its because I hit the "reply" button, instead of the "quote" button,
which (the latter) I did in all my other posts during this session.

The second try I hit the "quote" button, but having removed the actual quote.
It failed.
The third try I hit the quote button and left the quote inside.
It got posted.
Probably a coincidence. Let me try again next session.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Well, after a disastrous Tapatalk update (forum 2 days inaccessible) it is now up-to-date. Does it make any difference?
dime

Post by dime »

I had my first 'lost' post yesterday :) So I guess no difference, or a difference for me at least :D
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Bah. Well, I blame phpBB3 ;)