Glutamine?

How to prevent unwanted weightloss, and/or even gain muscles
avo
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Glutamine?

Post by avo »

How useful is glutamine in regards to building/maintaining muscle? I have read it helps prevent breakdown of muscle after/during workouts. How safe is this to take? Free amino form is best, probably?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Its not useful, as its abundantly present in our diet and readily made and converted inside the body, as its a key player in nitrogen metabolism. (together with glutamic acid, asparagine and aspartic acid, interchangeable with α-ketoglutarate and oxaloacetate)

Glutamine helps to prevent breakdown of muscle as much as glucose does; if you lack amino acids or glucose, muscles will get broken down to compensate. Compared to other amino acids glutamine particularly does because its so readily converted (key in nitrogen metabolism)
This doesnt mean you should take extra glutamine (or other amino acids) or glucose; just enough.
avo

Post by avo »

Thanks RRM. I'm just trying to cover all the bases, as I have started on a muscle building program. So the only thing that would be allowable is methionine, in free amino (in acidic liquid) form?

I know that I am doing pretty well in terms of nutrition, but I (as well as others) still have doubt that 10 cups OJ+OO+sugar, a/t/c salad and 80-100g fish/raw meat+eggs is abundant enough for strenous weight lifting... Just want to make sure that I am not lacking in something important. The only thing I can think of is sleep/rest. Having two puppies is a handful...
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avo wrote:the only thing that would be allowable is methionine, in free amino (in acidic liquid) form?
Its not about allowable, but about advicable. As methionine is clearly the limiting amino acid in our diet (and others), the only way to artifically upgrade our protein quality is by taking methionine (in free acidic form, indeed)
I (as well as others) still have doubt that 10 cups OJ+OO+sugar, a/t/c salad and 80-100g fish/raw meat+eggs is abundant enough for strenous weight lifting...
I cant judge that, as I dont know how much you need exactly, and how much more you need due to your activities.