Recommend a sunblock?

Make up, cream, skin issues, dental issues, dental hygiene, shampoo, dandruff...
candela
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

sunscreen?

Post by candela »

hey guys i'm going to the grand canyon soon. what sunscreen should i use when i'm there?
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Hum...
I was noticing with the coming of summer and more sun how my skin seems LESS sensitive to the sun since on the wai diet.
I think it could be due to a protective layer of natural oils on the skin. Since I need to shower much less now the natural oils remain on the skin and I think they provide SOME protection...
Now grand canyon is going to be pretty sunny so I would advise to first try some natural oil (coconut/sesame) on your skin depending on how sensitive you are to begin with you may want to check out the purest thing you can get at a health-food store.
I'm trying to not used any this summer but I won't be exposing myself to the sun for long periods of time. What I like is short bursts.
candela

Post by candela »

it's amazing that the diet's done that for your skin! in my case, however, i'm still healing and it's pretty clear that i am really sensitive to the sun and to dry heat. additionally, i think i may be too sensitive to regularly use coconut oil on my face--i might use it next week when i'm on vacation but i don't see myself being able to use it all the time since it seems to plog up my pores. i'm still having trouble figuring out the importance of oil since i've read in some parts of the (old and new) forum(s) that it's not essential. what happens if you're just sensitive to everything? wear a big hat and sunglasses and don't stay out too long? 8)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I always stay out of the sun, but a couple of years ago Ive noticed that I get a tan much faster than I used to do. Maybe the skin can now better respond to the influence of the sun...
MJ

Recommend a sunblock?

Post by MJ »

I saw Wai's criteria for what to look for in a sunblock, but I've had a super hard time finding any brand that fit that criteria. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
Biev

Post by Biev »

Somehow coconut oil seems to work better than sunblock for me.

Or maybe I just bought really crappy sunblock.
MJ

Post by MJ »

I found two things I was hoping that someone could give me on input on regarding whether these sunblocks contain ingredients that we should avoid.

Here's the first one:

Ingredients: Certified Organic Aloe Vera Gel, Wildcrafted Seaweed, Certified Organic Aqueous Herbs of Lavender & Roman Chamomile Flowers, Rosehips, Calendula Blossoms, Comfrey Leaf & Root, Oats & Marshmallow, Certified Organic Oils of Shea Butter, Rosehips, Avocado, Safflower, Golden Jojoba, Kukui, Macadamia & Evening Primrose, Biodynamic & Certified Organic Herbal Infusions of Lavender & Roman Chamomile Flowers, Rosehips, Calendula Blossoms, Comfrey Leaf & Root, Oats & Marshmallow, Sea Buckthorn, Rosehips & Calendula Co2, Biodynamic & Certified Organic Essential Oils of Lavender & Roman Chamomile, Sage & Rosemary Antioxidants, Grapefruit Seed Extract

-------------

The second one is a "homemade recipe" that you can make yourself:

3 tbsp. unrefined sesame oil
1 tbsp. unrefined avocado oil
1 tbsp. unrefined jojoba oil
1 tbsp. walnut or almond oil
1 tbsp. shea butter
2 tbsp. cocoa butter
1 tsp. beeswax
1 tsp. soya-lecithin
2 tbsp. aloe-vera gel
2 tbsp. rose or lavender water
1/2 tsp. borax powder
20 drops carrot-seed essential oil
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Wow, those ingredients can all be sub-divided in lots of different ingredients, and many plants contain (mild) toxins. Natural is not perse better.
Im sorry, but i would have to find out all whats in each of the ingredients, and thats waaaay too much work...
Its much easier with standard sunblocks, as they generally list all the individual molecular compounds.
MJ

Post by MJ »

I read that oils such as olive oil and coconut oil have a natural SPF of about 4. Do you know if that is true?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I dont know but it seems logical. What most likely gets a sunburst? A dry skin. An oily skin doesnt get burned as readily.
Last edited by RRM on Thu 03 Jan 2008 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
MJ

Post by MJ »

I just foudn this online:

* Hemp seed oil - SPF 6
* Shea Butter - Cinnaminic Acid - SPF 6
* Macadamia oil - SPF 6
* Sesame seed oil - SPF 4
* Jojoba oil - SPF 4
* Coconut oil - SPF 2

Of these oils which ones would you recommend for the skin and which ones should we stay away from?
Biev

Post by Biev »

XD I can't imagine smearing myself in sesame oil
Angie

Post by Angie »

I found a refined sesame seed oil in the US that was clear in color and low-oder. I used that regularly a few years ago. It was amazing. ('8)')

Sesame oil is also on Wai's list of oils that are low in vitamin e.

A question about sesame oil though, it's made from seeds. Does that mean it contains toxins as well?

I am also looking for a sunscreen that won't make me break out. Commercial or natural, doesn't matter.

I read that coconut oil also aids with tanning. Makes sense... it smells like the tropics... ;)
MJ

Post by MJ »

Angie,

Did you buy the sesame seed oil locally or online? If online, where? I can't seem to find any sesame oil locally that isn't toasted.
Angie

Post by Angie »

Hi MJ,

I got the sesame oil in Albuquerque, New Mexico at the local Smiths store. The sesame oil I have now is darker in color and has a strong oder. I react to it, my face gets quite red and itchy. I didn't react to the other stuff. I have no idea which is toasted, or refined, and which is not.

I found a site this morning that I posted on another thread, I haven't ordered from them, so I can't say how good/reliable they are, but I plan to. It's far more cost-efficient. They have sesame oil.

http://www.oilsbynature.com/product-category/oils.htm

has anyone else ordered from them? Are they reliable?