Starting an Infant on Egg Yolk

There are lots of rules you can break; so thats what happens a lot...
snowbunny
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Starting an Infant on Egg Yolk

Post by snowbunny »

My daughter is now 7 1/2 months old, and I would like to start her on raw yolks. But I am hesitant because they are loaded with pathogens. She has been eating only raw blended fruit since she was 6 months old. And she is still breastfed, of course. I have been thinking about introducing a small amount of yolk when she turns 8 months, but could that be too soon? Should I wait until she is 12 months old, or even older than that?

About me, I have been following this diet for about a month. I was a raw vegetarian (ovo-only, non-lacto) prior to converting to the Wai diet. I have been consuming egg yolks, hoping that my daughter will become accustomed to them through nursing. Is there anyone with experience in initially starting and maintaining their infants on this diet? I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
"All Knowledge Is Worth Having." - Jacqueline Carey
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Personally I'd say the sooner the better, so she can get used to the bacteria. Egg yolks do contain bacteria, but they're not "loaded with pathogens". ;)
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

Any suggestions on how to offer the yolks to her? When introducing a new fruit to her, I have been combining the new fruit with the fruit she has already been eating, so it is not too "foreign" to her. This is how I first offered her solid food, too, with breastmilk. I would like to do this with egg yolk, but is it all right to put the yolk in the fruit mixture? Would this cause gas?

I appreciate your help; thank you.
Iris

Post by Iris »

I think it will, because of the fibres. If she does get cramps, she might not want to eat it again, because she associates that particular food with pain. So I'd be very careful.
You need to start with one teaspoon, I think (RRM, Oscar?)?
Maybe it helps when she sees you eat it first...?
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

Then, maybe I can offer the yolk to her with breastmilk instead. I think maybe a quarter teaspoon of yolk to start, and then gradually we will work up to a full teaspoon of yolk. What do you think?
Iris

Post by Iris »

A quarter of teaspoon is even better I think. You can't be safe enough with such a young, little person ;) I hope RRM or Oscar will respond soon though.
I think it will work, mixing it with breastmelk. Just make sure to stir gently.
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

You are right, Iris, we never can be too careful with our precious little babies. They are not guinea pigs for our experimentation.

I am thinking of nursing her a little, and then offering little tastes of the yolk, and then alternating. I think this would be better than stirring into the yolk. I imagine she will probably be more comfortable if the whole experience is a type of breastfeeding session.

Maybe RRM and Oscar don’t have any data or personal experience on introducing food to infants; I could not find any reference to it anywhere on the site. I read a few (very few) old posts from people who were vaguely describing what they fed their toddlers and older children, but there is nothing about feeding infants at all. Perhaps we mothers must intuit what is best for infant feeding, as we must intuit so much else with them. I do appreciate your thoughts on this, too, though.
Iris

Post by Iris »

snowbunny wrote: I am thinking of nursing her a little, and then offering little tastes of the yolk, and then alternating. I think this would be better than stirring into the yolk. I imagine she will probably be more comfortable if the whole experience is a type of breastfeeding session.
Ok, I thought you meant mixing it, sorry :oops:
Maybe RRM and Oscar don’t have any data or personal experience on introducing food to infants
No, they may not, but they both often have a perfect founded opinion/idea on a lot of subjects they have no experience with (I assume) either. I can remember, for instance, part of the book is dedicated to the importance of breastfeeding. Another part on woman's hormones etc. I'll bet they don't speak from experience on that one too :wink: :lol:
Ofcourse I don't know whether they can give advise, but I'd like to know if they did when I'd have such a young child.
But at the other hand, you're right too; mothers often do know best what is good for their children, I believe :wink:
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

Iris wrote: But at the other hand, you're right too; mothers often do know best what is good for their children, I believe :wink:
Yes, we do!
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

Wow, that quoting got all jacked up, didn't it? I don't know how to do it line by line as you have done.

I've decided I am going to introduce the yolks at 8 months, which is next week. My intuition is urging me to introduce some sort of animal protein to her, and my feeling is that it should be yolk at 8 months. I will let everyone (which right now seems to be you, Iris) know how it goes.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

snowbunny wrote:Wow, that quoting got all jacked up, didn't it? I don't know how to do it line by line as you have done.
I fixed it.
When you press the quote button, the entire post is turned into a quote.
Just press the quote button and you see that the text starts with:
(quote) and ends with (/quote)
Though instead of (half round brackets), [square brackets] are used.

So, you just need to trim the text until only the line remains that you are aiming at.
If there are two parts you want to respond to, just make sure that you start every quote with (quote) and end it with (/quote),
and delete all other text.
My intuition is urging me to introduce some sort of animal protein to her
Its absolutely essential, indeed.
I will let everyone (which right now seems to be you, Iris) know how it goes.
PLEASE do so.
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

Thank you for fixing it, RRM.

I actually let her taste my yolks earlier today, but it was a just a very tiny amount on the tip of my spoon. She seemed to really like it, but I take my yolks with sugar, so that may have been why it tasted so good to her!

Next week will be the official introduction and regular incorporation of plain yolk into her diet. I am going to measure ¼ - ½ tsp of plain yolk and offer it to her while nursing her. I think ¼ - ½ tsp of plain yolk once a day, gradually working up to twice a day. Then, I will very gradually increase her yolk serving up to about a tablespoon over several weeks' time. I will likely revise this plan, depending on how she does.

What are your thoughts?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think you're doing very well. Use your intuition and it'll be fine. :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Indeed.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

You probably knew this but being extra careful with quality freshness I'd imagine would be important.

I didn't think yokes would be too important anyway while you're still breast-feeding, doesn't breast milk have the fat/protein they need already?