Sugar is the best!

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
djkvan
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Sugar is the best!

Post by djkvan »

Having grown up with ADHD I can tell you that I have been through the wringer and out the other side when it comes to sugar. As a child my mother was always trying to keep me away from sweets. Having been 100% Wai for one month (officially) tomorrow I cannot say enough about how much sugar has meant and means on this diet. For me it isn't just about enough calories but enough calories from sugar in particular. I spent almost a whole month adding 100g sugar to my 2L OJ and OO drinks that I would sip throughout the day. When I realized that this (plus the glucose in the OJ) was only giving me sufficient potential glucose for my brain daily needs I immediately decided to double my sugar intake to 200g (1 cup). The difference this makes is like night and day. My mood has evened out and I am able to feel the energy sweet-spot quite clearly. When I hit it it's like the world starts to glow. I can feel and think clearly in this state. I was getting enough calories each day, just not enough sugar per sip to maintain consistent periods of steady brain chemistry. I feel like I have found "the secret" that is the promise of Wai and rather than fumbling my way blindly through the day guessing at my energy levels they seem quite clear now.

To get the same level of energy without granulated sugar I would have to juice 4L of OJ/day. Sugar is crucial to success on this diet IMO, and I don't believe any of the BS about sugar being bad for you anymore, though I wonder what it would feel like (besides expensive) to consume a gallon of OJ/day. RRM? Don't you drink about that much? I'm guessing you still add sugar?

For people just starting, trust the sugar. It's cheap. It's perfect. It's energy. It's cheap, perfect, energy. It's life, and it'll do wonders for your brain. :)

God I hope this isn't some kinda manic sugar episode! :shock:

Maybe if I can get editing privileges for my posts... :lol:
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Sugar is the best!

Post by RRM »

Yes, when you lack glucose somewhat, extra glucose is the difference between night and day.
And yes, sugar is unique as its relationship to brain chemistry is very direct, as it is utilized so quickly.
(as opposed to protein > amino acids)
And yes, only when you are able to 'lightly dance around' your glucose needs, its so easy to monitor it.
Struggling to get your glucose needs does not allow for much 'sitting on the mountain top having that over view'.
djkvan wrote: I don't believe any of the BS about sugar being bad for you anymore
Well, now that you are able to play with it, you may accidentally take in a little too much of it,
and then you will feel that this doesnt feel too good either.
The secret is 'that sweet spot'; no more, no less.
I wonder what it would feel like (besides expensive) to consume a gallon of OJ/day. RRM? Don't you drink about that much? I'm guessing you still add sugar?
Yes. And yes, im still adding sugar because for my job im often speed-walking for 8 to sometimes 10 hours straight,
so that i need about twice as much energy as i would normally do.
It makes me extremely energetic; able to move mountains, work like a horse with the stamina of a donkey.
Colleagues are always impressed by how hard i work; doing my own share plus helping everybody.
They dont know that this is not me, but the constantly abundant glucose and fructose.
For people just starting, trust the sugar. It's cheap. It's perfect. It's energy. It's cheap, perfect, energy. It's life, and it'll do wonders for your brain. :)
Yes, though it doesnt contain any other nutrients, thats totally unimportant once you got sufficient of all those nutrients already.
Which is the case on this diet normally; as on this diet you will consume sufficient of all those nutrients,
and in those circumstances, sufficient glucose makes all the difference in the world.
God I hope this isn't some kinda manic sugar episode! :shock:
Its your situation that makes your experience a bit extreme;
the lifetime depletion; the final discovery.
It will settle down, though you will always keep appreciating the energy from sugar.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Sugarfreak! :o ;)
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

RRM wrote:Well, now that you are able to play with it, you may accidentally take in a little too much of it,
and then you will feel that this doesnt feel too good either.
Yes. I think that happened last night. Suddenly my neck became very stiff and I could feel a little pressure under my eyes (on the face).
RRM wrote:Colleagues are always impressed by how hard i work; doing my own share plus helping everybody.
They dont know that this is not me, but the constantly abundant glucose and fructose.
So you keep your dietary practices a secret?
Oscar wrote:Sugarfreak! :o ;)
;D
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

djkvan wrote: So you keep your dietary practices a secret?
No, not at all, but they dont make the connection.
I know, the connection is quite obvious,
but if there is something you dont want to understand, you will not.
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

I know what you mean. :roll:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think it also has to do with the fact that most people believe that diet has a (very) limited influence on our general functioning and well-being. We are (getting) used to scrutinizing our diet whenever things aren't optimal, but in general people seem to look for other causes (except when they suspect food poisoning). Of course this is all part of the common frame of reference where diet is concerned.
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

Yes. I find that people tune out to the idea that they are truly responsible for their overall health. Plus no one wants to hear that they are doing it almost all wrong when it comes to nutrition. Funny how people will trust nutrition to a stranger on the tv though. :lol:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yeah, exactly. ;)
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

I've just the opposite.
I think energy metabolism differs per person.
Too much sugar makes me stressy.
I need much fat too function properly. I don't add any sugar except for sporting.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Not really, but you have to adjust your intake when you add sugar. And of course it depends on your energy needs (how active you are) whether you actually need to add sugar or not.
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

I am using my brain a lot these days, so I find that I need the 3/4 cup of sugar that I add to my 2L of OJ. Also my brain is repairing itself and forming many new connections after many years of alcohol abuse, so I find that I am also really looking forward to my egg yolks (I eat eleven/night, four times a week now!) or salmon (130g three times a week). I am having less and less of the crawly feelings in my head now too. I was thinking it was related to olive oil, but it was related to my brain's recovery from post acute withdrawal symptoms which can last for up to two years after substance abuse is given up, so that is good news. I imagine being on the Wai diet that my brain is recovering even more quickly than one who eats a SAD diet, so that I am probably noticing bigger differences in how my head feels than slow/subtle changes the average person on a SAD diet would feel. I am also using twice as much olive oil as I was before (60mL instead of 30mL/2L OJ) without problems or energy reading difficulties. :)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

That's great news! :D
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

Thanks Oscar. It is nice to have that problem in the past and nice to know that OO or other substances aren't affecting me in negative ways. I was naturally confused as I have never been through the process of recovery before.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think it's been a new experience for most of us.