3 Months; Mistakes; Health issues

There are lots of rules you can break; so thats what happens a lot...
ellenbierhorst
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

3 Months; Mistakes; Health issues

Post by ellenbierhorst »

Hi Guys!
This diet is charismatic. I met Corinne at a seminar and "caught the Wai bug". I am 71, 5'4", 133 lbs. Went on the Wai diet because I wanted more energy, and to lose 5 lbs.
I was looking at the "Sample Diet", which has only a tiny amount of protein a day. Now I see that people eat loads more egg yolks... 6, 8/day. Wow!
What I love is that my cravings to overeat seem to have disappeared. What I don't love is that I have had a low level bronchitis for 3 weeks. Last time this happened was when I was trying a vegan diet ten years ago. Couldn't get well until I started eating animal protein again. Have been eating 2-3 eggs a day. A smart friend said I should eat the whole raw egg because it has many times more protein than just the yolk alone. And after many experiments I have given up on eating raw fish. Can occasionally eat a few oysters with lemon juice. Was eating smoked salmon, but discovered that is a No. So I now steam 3 oz tilapia about twice a week. Eat that with oo and lemon juice.
It has been daunting trying to get the information from the forum(s). My eyes cross. Just picked up that people apparently strain their OJ. I sure haven't. And I've been having grapefruit (red). (Will let go of the grapefruit since reading about "bitter is bad".) The quality of the juice oranges I have been able to get is not that great. Oh well. Incidentally, while traveling I tried Tropicana because someone said they used it and it was cheaper, but it made me have indigestion pretty bad. Went to bed 3 hours.
It is amazing how much psychological neuroticism I have about food. ... WEIGHT ISSUE: I wanted to lose 5 lbs (protruding belly). I thought it would just fall off on Wai, since people are all concerned about being too skinny. Wrong! At first I was eating a lot of nuts. Decided that was the problem (gained a couple pounds!) Cut out all nuts. Then just ate fruit all day long. (Specifically: 2 oranges juiced w/ 2 eggs, 2 T oo; 1 banana; 6 grapes; 12 oz salad tomato/avocado/cucumber/oo; 6 grapes; 1 mango; 8 oz strawberries/kiwi/banana; 3 apricots. That would be about one day.) I was re-learning to listen to my interest in food to prompt how much and when to eat. I had suppressed all "listening" for years and years, just compulsively eating or compulsively dieting. So what happened was that again I gained weight, just a little. Last week I modified my intake, eating just this: 2 oranges juiced with 2 T oo and 2 eggs; 4 oz fruit mid morning; 6 oz fruit or tomato/avo/cuc salad at noon; one fruit in mid afternoon; 6 oz fruit or salad at 5. 3 apricots at bedtime. Over the week's time I lost about 1.5 lbs. Finally. But the cool thing was that I was not hungry, did not experience cravings. I think I have to learn a whole new relationship with my appetite.
People don't talk about digestive issues, it seems. Mine were rather dramatic. Had very soft greenish poop for about 10 days. I figure my liver was dumping old crud. Hope so. Often since had too-soft poop. I figure my pipes were just getting adjusted.
My issue is that in the past I have suppressed my metabolism by reducing my caloric intake over the years. A dietitian did a ten minute basal metabolism test on a breathing machine thingy and found last summer that I was dragging along on a 1,000 calorie/day metabolism. She thought I needed to eat more in order to get that up, and exercise more, and that then I'd lose weight. I did both, but gained. Arrrgh!
Looks to me like I need to try eating 6 egg yolks / day (will switch to cheap white supermarket eggs) and also some beef. Can't manage raw, but can do Very Rare hamburger. I had tried "cooking" salmon or tuna in lemon juice..."ceviche", which I could manage to eat, but then discovered that all wild salmon has more mercury than you want, and the farmed salmon has that red dye that you don't want so I gave up on salmon. Same problem wild tuna. Shit!
My priority now is 1) get well!. Then 2) lose that extra 5 lbs.
The plus side: I love eating this way. So aesthetic! So easy! Enjoyable. No craving for off-Way foods ("munch foods"). And I believe that when I get my protein problem solved and my health restored I will indeed have more energy and high morale.
I'd appreciate any comments and advice.
overkees

Re: 3 Months; Mistakes; Health issues

Post by overkees »

Hey ellen,

I think you're a bit like me when it comes to protein, I eat at least 10 yolks a day and on days I swim I eat 12 yolks + 200 grams of beef, I do high intensity interval training. I think you will do fine by eating 6 yolks at least and a handful of nuts (one hand should be enough). You can try some beef too. What I recommend is eating beef with egg yolks. Raw beef is okay for me, but combined with yolks: HEAVEN!!

Fish and beef is great for protein needs after heavy excercise. But if you're rather sedentary you can try to eat more bananas, kiwis, avocados, apricots and prunes. These contain the most proteins. Especially banana is great for energy needs. If you eat protein, try to not have a low blood sugar. Eat some fruit before eating a protein rich meal. (Yolks, fish, nuts and beef)

The strict diet on the site is for acne sensitive people and if you want to get rid of food addictions. It's really low on protein, which can cause acne breakouts. So if you're not sensitive to acne you can have more protein. Be careful though, because if you eat too much protein, or don't eat sugars (fruit) for a while, you will utillize protein for energy. And this makes unnecessary antinutrients on it's way. Proteins should only be used for rebuilding purposes ideally.

What is really important is to have a good feeling for your blood sugar. A few tips that are really, really important to get it right:
1. Eat small meals of fruit, at least every half hour one piece of fruit. This is a minimum. If you drink juices take a few sips every 15 minutes.
2. Every hour you need to take a tiny bit of olive oil (the extra virgin one), it's easiest to combine it with your fruits. A few nuts will also do the trick (try to buy fresh ones, hazelnuts and walnuts that are still in the shell to begin with. Later you can order brazil nuts or macadamias, because they are really hard to buy in store). I would say a minimum of 50 ml Olive oil. If you are sedentary try to get a 1:1 calory ratio with fats : sugars. If more active you will need more sugars.

It takes some time to get it right, especially when you have never listened to your system and smashed it by rigorous dieting. I'm 22 and it took me 2-3 months to really get it right. After I got it right, I went back to swimming (my hobby) and it took another half a month to figure out how to adapt to the swimming. But once you learned how to listen, you will get better and better and never lose it. I had sometimes in my wai experience where I fell back to the standard diet and still had the abillity to listen to my energy levels instead of an empty stomache. It's harder than on wai, and due to the addictive substances in the standard diet you will overeat if you don't watch out. So don't give up, it will come!

On the low proteins:
The acne thing is how this diet started, but it developed into something much more: cutting out all the bullshit and keeping only the essential, most efficient way. That's the wai diet. Optimising the nutrient : antinutrient balance.

Good luck and I would love to hear your experiences in the near future!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hello Ellen, welcome on the forum. :)
ellenbierhorst wrote:Went on the Wai diet because I wanted more energy, and to lose 5 lbs.
Energy management is the key.
ellenbierhorst wrote:I was looking at the "Sample Diet", which has only a tiny amount of protein a day. Now I see that people eat loads more egg yolks... 6, 8/day. Wow!
The Acne Sample Diet is to get rid of acne, which needs a restrictive intake of protein. Without acne, there is no such limit.
ellenbierhorst wrote:A smart friend said I should eat the whole raw egg because it has many times more protein than just the yolk alone.
Eating the whole egg dramatically reduces the Biotin (vit B8) intake of the egg yolk, which is not what you want. Eating fruit + yolks/fish/meat gives plenty of protein, so eating egg whites will not be necessary.
ellenbierhorst wrote:Just picked up that people apparently strain their OJ. I sure haven't.
It's not a 'must'. It just makes it easier to drink and take in energy, as straining removes (useless) fiber.
ellenbierhorst wrote:She thought I needed to eat more in order to get that up, and exercise more, and that then I'd lose weight. I did both, but gained. Arrrgh!
Losing and gaining weight is a matter of energy management. Energy input should be equal to (or slightly less) than your energy output, eating or drinking small enough meals/snacks so no excess energy is converted into body fat, and making sure to get enough fats throughout the day.
ellenbierhorst

Post by ellenbierhorst »

Heavenly to get responses. Many thanks to Oscar and 'overkees". Learning to listen to my energy level=blood sugar signals is really new for me. I Might be getting it, a little. Certainly do not ever have food cravings any more. I have not been eating anything like as frequently as you advise. Unless feeling hungry. If I 'push' eating, having a fruit every 90 minutes or so, I start to gain weight, so I stopped pushing, and just tried for 3 meals + snacks when hungry. Have not had oil with snacks, only with meals, for the most part. .... OK, so I will make these changes: eat 1/2 fruit between meals w/ 1 teaspoon oo. = 3 snacks/day. Will post when I have an evaluation of this. Thanks again. Ellen
overkees

Post by overkees »

The trick to lose weight on wai is by eating frequent small meals, just enough for energy needs.

The problem with big meals is that you will eat more than your energy needs for that moment. So the rest is converted and stored as body fat, this is how you gain weight.

Example:
Your body needz 80 mg/dl and it is 60 at that moment. You are starting to feel hungry. In the meantime it drops even lower.
Glucagon will be secreted due to this, it raises the blood sugar slowly to what is needed and you will start to use energy from body fat (fat store) and glycogen (your sugar store).
But you will still be hungry anf you start to eat and your blood sugar will now reach say 140. This is a very high level and your body immediately starts secreting alot insulin. This will have the effect that you will store the energy that is not needed back into your sugar store (glycogen). However, this store is very limited and if you have no exercise it will be filled very quick. Exercise uses mainly sugar stores (glycogen) for energy. If it's full the rest will be converted to body fat (fat store). This is how you gain weight.

However, if you need 70 and start to eat a small meal and reach 90. Only your glycogen is refilled. Theree is no excess energy and no body fat is created. And this is what you want, only refilling sugar stores.

You gain weight easier than you will lose it because you will have hunger even if your energy levels may be okay because glucagon prevents your blood sugar from gettng too low. So you will use stored fat only temporally. Just enough of it until you have yourself a meal.

So if you are trying to lose weight, get rid of those 3 meals with snacks. And just eat more meals in smaller portions.

RRM we maybe need to have a very good, simple and easy to follow story on the site of how the blood sugar works. People seem to be very confused how the system works. Then we don't have to explain it, because we can just refer to the site.
ellenbierhorst

Post by ellenbierhorst »

"RRM we maybe need to have a very good, simple and easy to follow story on the site of how the blood sugar works. People seem to be very confused how the system works. Then we don't have to explain it, because we can just refer to the site."
Super idea! Please do. Also, the pleasehelp lady said she "read the book". What book??? I WISH!
Maia

Post by Maia »

Hi Ellen, she probably meant this one:
http://www.freeacnebook.com/

If you have not read it yet, I really recommend you to do it! It is great, even though they say that it needs rewriting. :)
A bit beyond perceptions reach
I sometimes believe I see
that life is two locked boxes, each
containing the others key -Piet Hein
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

"RRM we maybe need to have a very good, simple and easy to follow story on the site of how the blood sugar works. People seem to be very confused how the system works. Then we don't have to explain it, because we can just refer to the site."
Yes, thats a good idea.
Anyone who wants to start?
Just start a new thread with a very crude short version and others will join in to add stuff and for corrections.
ellenbierhorst

Post by ellenbierhorst »

SO MUCH OIL !

OK, so h ere I am at the end of my 4th month. I have been pretty strict (no munch foods since October, no salt or spices...) but have been dismayed at not losing the 5 extra lbs I am carrying. Have spent a lot of time studying the book Free Acne Book] . The scientific erudition is impressive. I love the informal writing style. I "thought" that all I needed was to eat only uncooked stuff, fruit, egg yolks, raw fish and oil and I'd be fine. Was consuming 2-4 T. oil per day and felt that was a lot.

Had no cravings at all. BUT not losing the weight. Not really gaining either. Feeling pretty good (except for a bronchitis that is hanging on, but lots of folks here are having that). Some days feeling amazingly energetic and happy. SO, studying the book some more it seems she really is saying to eat at least 4 lbs of fruit, AND half as much oil as fruit. What? Could it really be?

So today I measured out 4 lbs. of fruit, and a whopping 8 oz of oo. I made orange juice with oil and 3 yolks for breakfast (10 oz juice). Then I made another bottle of OJ, banana with OO, about 10 oz juice to 4 oz oo. And a third bottle with blended fruits (apple, kiwi, kumquats, grapes) [about 8 oz] and more oo (about 2 oz). Note that although that is more than twice the oil I was eating, it is still nowhere near the 50% of fruit mark.

I was happy drinking this all morning. Then at 1:00 I stopped the fruit and at 2:00 had 2 oz tuna ceviche that I made with lemon, tomato, garlic, pinch of salt. Also had maybe 1/2 oz oo in that. Waited an hour and a half. Then started back on the juice mixtures. I sort of pushed it, a bit more than my appetite really was asking for because I knew I had to finish my 4 lbs by bedtime. By 5:00 pm I still have about 7 oz juice left and am feeling acid indigestion. Can't stand the idea of any more oil! I feel like I have had way too much oil.

SO MY QUESTION: is this right, that you want to eat 2::1 fruit to oil? By volume/weight (not by calories). Something seems wrong with this picture. Hope you can help.
dime

Post by dime »

Hm no, you got that a bit wrong.

The ratio is not regarding real weight, but weight of the sugar in fruits.
Or in terms of calories if it's easier for you, you should get roughly equal calories from fruits and fat. Like 800 calories from fruits/sugar and 800 calories from fat, for example.
ellenbierhorst

Post by ellenbierhorst »

Oh wow! no wonder I was having trouble. Will have to recalculate. I will look up calories in orange juice and calories in olive oil. Then will report back. Many thanks!
...... AND today I was using Spectrum organic EVOO ... 2T (1 oz) in 6 oz OJ and it has given me a very sour stomach. Suspect that's a bad brand to use. ellen