Body's inner clock, sleep & studying / Bates method

State of mind, mental focus, ADHD, sleep, motivation, studying etc
Jerry
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Body's inner clock, sleep & studying / Bates method

Post by Jerry »

From Wai's book:
<snipped>
But what triggers the body to reabsorb protein from the skin?

We all have an 'inner clock'. At about 6:00 a.m. the lymph starts re-absorbing protein from the skin. Lymphatics transport this protein to the liver, where most of it is broken down between 6:00 and 8:00 a.m.
So, if during this period(6am to 8am) I was awake, the above process won't start ?

For example, I need to wake up at 5:00am everyday, but I sleep enough 8 hours (9pm - 5am). Is this good or bad for our health, also regarding acne? What's the ideal time to sleep and wakeup?

Also, what's the complete body's inner clock sequence? (I mean, when we sleep, many process take place, e.g. sort-of immune system rebuild, energy recovery..)
nick

Post by nick »

Well as long as you keep the pattern, your body will adjust to the 'time' difference, starting earlier in you case. Wai says the earlier you get to sleep the better. You way ahead of me!
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

What if even more earlier (8:00pm - 4:00am)?

Because sometimes, the environment around me is noisy and I found myself couldn't focus on study and tired(after a day of workout). So, adjusts the timing is the only way...

Maybe, you guys may point out how do you increase your focus to study effectively while study.
huntress

Post by huntress »

Maybe, you guys may point out how do you increase your focus to study effectively while study.
Well Jerry, I sometimes have this problem too. I find that sometimes after a hard day in school, my mind tend to drift away when I start to study. Or when I have so many things in my mind and things are starting to get very overwhelming, my mind would start to linger around. Maybe you are one of the people who are easily affected by noise. Since you mentioned that noise affected you, try to find a time where it's quiet around so you can study better, like during the time you get up in the morning: 4am or so.

Being able to study is also greatly contributed by being in balance in life. By balance, I mean by balancing leisure time with school time. Having all work and no play may affect you for it certainly affect me. Having enough sleep and rest plays an important part to your ability to study during the day. Studies have shown that students with more REM sleep are able to function better than students with less REM sleep. It also depends on how motivated you are to study at that time. And also try not to study one subject through out the day for it would only make your studying dull and repetitious. It has been proven that students do better in exams when breaking down the subjects they study rather than mass studying a subject.

Sometimes, my major problem lies in the moment to begin to study. So I try not to overwhelm myself by studying a hard subject first, but rather, study for an easy course, just to try to keep the ball rolling and then later, I would find myself so engross in studying that I start to make plans ahead on which courses I will study. I priortise them by level of difficulty: I study the most easiest course first then save the hard one for last. Try to add a motivating factor or a reward for yourself after you have completed your studying.

If you are tired, by all means, sleep. I find myself being able to study better if I sleep for 8-9hours a day. And if I have been up and going since 6am till 4pm and follow up with some physical activity for 3 hours straight , I wouldn't be able to study so sleep would definitely be my first priority.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

I didn't know about these adjustments in the body-clock. Cool!
I know though from differents sources that it is better to get to sleep before midnight as sleep quality is better. Also it counts for double: For instance if you go to bed at 10 and wake up at 8 you've got 10 hours of sleep, but actually you've benifited from 12 hours as the 2 before midnight count as 4 and so on. If you go to bed at midnight and wake up at 8 you've slept 8 hours (both ways!)
In meditation retreats that I have done the schedule is usually lights out at 9pm rise at 4 am and once you get used to it it's great!
I also know that the mind starts to process and classify all information gathered from that day starting around 10pm, so anything new one is learning after that is not processed or remembered correctly.
huntress

Post by huntress »

I also know that the mind starts to process and classify all information gathered from that day starting around 10pm, so anything new one is learning after that is not processed or remembered correctly.
That is a startling fact Corrinne. Because it doesn't explain why I am only able to concentrate on school work AFTER 10pm. My concentration surge after 10pm and even more after 12am.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

hum... I don't know what to say...
Maybe you're inner clock is shiffted back?
I can't reference it with an article or something because a friend who is a geobiologist told me this.
I never succeed in going to bed before midnight but I do notice that after 11pm I can't do much that's worthwhile...
Wil see if I can find out more about this.
huntress

Post by huntress »

Thank you Corrine, I appreciate that! :D
sula58

Post by sula58 »

What are people's viewpoints here on naps?
Do you take them? Are they good/bad (in the sense that they perhaps detract from one's sleep at night)?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I used to nap almost every day (before the diet), but now I (can) only take a nap when I lack sleep. Even then it's not that easy to fall asleep, because I have so much energy. But I think naps are fine if your body needs them.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

I have never really been a 'napper' (except, obviously, when I was a baby!). But I'm finding it so difficult to fall asleep at night on this diet lately... as Oscar says, I have so much energy that sometimes, after an hour of trying to get to sleep, I get out of bed, put the light on, and read or write in my journal or something, anything, just to 'burn off' the energy. This has NEVER happened to me before.
nick

Post by nick »

I find that eating the fatty foods during the evening helps me fall asleep. I'll eat my yolks then two hours later have an avocado which really helps.
But then again I have an 'over'-active mind, so sometimes I need to listen to music or read, which helps.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Thanks for the tip, nick. I recall that someone else on this forum mentioned the soporific effect of egg yolks and avo either combined or eaten in relatively quick succession. I'm going to try it tonight....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Yes, I recall RRM recommended that combination once before - I tried it the following night and practically nodded-off in the kitchen in mid-conversation! ;)

These days however, I'm rather partial to a cup of mashed-up banana and three yolks, yummy!

James
x
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Ah, it was you, James...! I hope we don't suddenly become narcoleptics! It's good to know there exists a nutritional equivalent of a sleeping-pill, though.