Opoid Peptides and I.Q.

State of mind, mental focus, ADHD, sleep, motivation, studying etc
Mr. PC
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Opoid Peptides and I.Q.

Post by Mr. PC »

I was thinking about the affects of opioid peptides the other day. My mind has felt stronger since I've been on the strict diet (placebo maybe). How much of an affect do you think bread and dairy have on people mentally? I know the affect would be individual, but there would still be averages. I guess there has never been a study on it.

Do you think there would be a significant I.Q. differential?
dime

Re: Opoid Peptides and I.Q.

Post by dime »

Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Yes I have read that (I think I've read all the wai pages, although I often forget content). It was good to re-read anyway.

But I do know people who are very intellectual even though they are on the SAD diet (Noam Chomsky). Maybe they are less affected by opiods, just as some people can drink without getting drunk? Do you think that if everyone cut out wheat and dairy, some people who were in the bottom percentile of I.Q. might move closer to the top percentile? (Because not everyone is affected by opioid peptides the same way.)

I wish there were a study which showed how strong of an an affect it has. (Maybe a group of 100 people with a control group who are matched by age, I.Q. gender etc). All on the Sad diet, but the test group has their pasta and bread replaced with gluten free / milk replaced with almond / coconut milk.

If such a study were conducted, what do you think the average increase in I.Q. would be? I'm thinking maybe it wouldn't be so much a direct I.Q. increase as a decrease in apathy, and increase in intellectual curiosity.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I'm thinking maybe it wouldn't be so much a direct I.Q. increase as a decrease in apathy
Yes, indeed. I think that opioid peptides particularly make you slower (in responding)
and less sensitive to pain and other stimuli.
But that may even facilitate a better focus, in some cases.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

You mean, for example, if someone had a hard time reading, because their mind kept wandering, they could eat some bread and it would help them focus?

Would Opiods make you less sensitive to emotional pain? I guess it would be like the equivalent of drinking your problems away.
dime

Post by dime »

Yes, think of sedatives.
panacea

Post by panacea »

Except drinking your problems away doesn't really work - because then you acquire more problems :)
Same with bread, actually..

I know I'm preaching to the choir but using opiod peptides to help you focus on reading is like filling your gas tank with corn syrup to help you not break the speed limit.. It works but you're screwed after.

It's not necessarily right to think in terms of something being chaotic just because it appears so. For example just because everyone reacts to different foods differently, doesn't mean that they just have better genes to tolerate it and it's the luck of the draw. If you think about it logically, genes may have a part in what our weakest links are but are nothing compared to environmental stimuli when determining how we react to things. For example, a sedentary person who lets bread sit in their body for periods of up to 5x longer than someone who has normal digestive speed is going to suffer a lot more from bread intake, usually, than someone who gets it out of their system fast and has a more resilient body in general. That should be the normal way of thinking about why certain people react differently to substances, the gene thing is blown way out of proportion. In some cases, like if a pregnant woman drinks a lot of alcohol and smokes a lot of cigarettes causing their infant to have some genetic weaknesses from the beginning then that makes sense. But in reality, those extreme genetic weaknesses were due to environmental events - the mother being unhealthy.
dime

Post by dime »

panacea wrote:For example, a sedentary person who lets bread sit in their body for periods of up to 5x longer than someone who has normal digestive speed is going to suffer a lot more from bread intake, usually, than someone who gets it out of their system fast and has a more resilient body in general. That should be the normal way of thinking about why certain people react differently to substances, the gene thing is blown way out of proportion.
But digestion speed, resilient body, etc. this is all very much determined by your genes. I can't imagine that external factors can have a huge impact on the internal workings of the body. What's the point of evolution then? If faster digestion indeed provides an advantage, evolution will select for these genes and eventually most people will have that trait.
panacea

Post by panacea »

To be honest with you I'm dumbfounded at how to explain/or defend such an obvious fact. I guess you'll have to wait for someone else who can think of something.

I was going to talk about how our genes aren't in a space vacuum, and that we are evolving in response to our external stimuli - such as in our past millions of years we were always walking and moving around a lot, creating vibrations, mechanical shakes, and the gravitational pull on our digestive system, helping things along. It's also known that shaking of the body helps internal chemical reactions happen, speeding up the whole body (in the good way), etc. I mean there's so many things wrong with the gene perspective I don't know where to even start. Philosophically, you could argue that without the skin and the organs the genes gave us, we wouldnt be here at all in this form so of course human health is mainly due to genes, but since we all share this in roughly the same way, there's no point talking about it. It's like saying health is mainly due to air because without air we'd die instantly, and it has no functional point of view. Even further down philosophically you could argue that genes are reliant on external stimuli to evolve in the first place, which is true but again not relevant. All that really is relevant is that genes don't miraculously mutate and go 'well lets make bread easier to digest for this person, harder to digest for this person, just out of luck or instantaneous evolution on a case-by-case basis'. I can't even fathom how you can't realize that our body runs best on certain foods and with certain practices (such as exercise), and this means if something goes wrong, such as a bad food our body doesn't like, it can better deal with it (stronger digestive contractions and fast diarrhea) instead of letting it sit in the body, cause us to get sick, or over a long period of time lead to some hypersensitive response to the foods and cause inflammation and eventually chronic condition like leaky gut/IBS.
dime

Post by dime »

Evolution is a bit messed up, because it's biased to your well being until some early years (20-30-40) when you reproduce, when the genetic material is passed on. If we were reproducing at 100, no doubt most people would be in peak health up to 100, because evolution would've filtered out all the individuals and their genes that can't make it to 100 and promote the ones that actually can.
So that's why there's a bunch of diseases that naturally come with old age, and in my opinion it's pure luck whether you're more or less susceptible to any of them as evolution anyway doesn't have so much influence. Of course you can affect it to some extent, but as long as you don't overdo stuff, like live on bread, or become an alcoholic, or not move out of the chair, or prepare for the Olympiad, your faith is pretty much determined by the genes.
But you can apply some common sense, e.g. we haven't been always eating bread and other grains like crazy all day long like now, so from an evolutionary point of view it would be smarter to avoid it, as it's unlikely that we are all adapted to it. Some people have been eating it for longer, some for less, so accordingly people can tolerate it differently.