High LDL Cholesterol- HELP!

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by RRM »

Thank you Oscar.

So, vascular diseases are caused by a lack of vitamins.
Take supplements and you will not get a heart attack ever.
And if you dont, then cholesterol is dangerous.
Fear cholesterol, buy supplements.
Justin

Post by Justin »

Look, RRM read this page http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/F ... terol.html it will take you all of 20 seconds. Then please answer my question, thanks.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

The only time the article makes any distinction between cooked and raw foods is in the separate section on egg yolks, where it recommends us to eat them raw. (Ha, well, we Waiians are already doing that! :-)) Otherwise, this article recommends such things as chicken liver... which, if cooked, burdens the body with too much vitamin A and 'dirty' cholesterol.

Post by Guest »

obviously
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Weird actually, because how would they justify recommending raw egg yolks if raw / cooked is not an issue?
Justin

Post by Justin »

good point.
in your mind, are you 100% scientifically certain that cooked cholesterol (oxy-cholesterols) are bad, and raw cholesterol is good?
DarkGalaxy

High LDL Cholesterol- HELP!

Post by DarkGalaxy »

So today I went to my family doctor and got the results of my blood test on paper.

My boyfriend and I have done the test on the same day.

Diet history of the past year:
My boyfriend has followed a raw diet (Wai plus some raw veggies, peeled almonds) for about 9 months. Before that, his diet was cooked/ processed with alcohol and coffee.

I have been raw for a long time with some 'breaks', and I have been a Waian with modifications (like chlorella, zucchini, raw stuff) for a long time and a strict Waian (no munch food and no modifications except ketosis -by limiting sugars and increasing fats- for 4 weeks total) for a month and three weeks. Last year in September or August, I have for a few weeks on and off eaten chocolate bars, French fries (salt-free and without sauce), creamed coconut, ice cream, some cooked food and junk food like that. Since then I haven't had anything unhealthy or cooked like that. For a while I did eat relatively small amounts of organic virgin coconut oil, which could be cooked. I haven't had that for many weeks now.

Turns out I have high LDL cholesterol (the bad) and my HDL cholesterol (the good) is near the higher end of the normal range (this is good). My triglycerides are within normal range.

This is what it says:
Cholesterol (total): + 225 mg/dl (should be less than 190 mg/dl)
HDL: 70 mg/dl (normal range = 34-88 mg/dl)
Cholesterol risc factor:
-3.21 (should be as low as possible; average = 4.97)
LDL: 139.8 mg/dl (should be under 115 mg/dl)
Triglycerides: 76 mg/dl (normal range = 50-210 mg/dl)

My doctor says I have high cholesterol for genetic reasons, since he can see I am thin and otherwise healthy and he can't find another reason for it. I am pretty pissed... I hope I can do something about this but I don't understand why I have high cholesterol with my diet and lifestyle.

My boyfriend has the same diet, although he eats way more egg yolks and salmon than I do. His cholesterol is fine. My mother doesn't have high cholesterol and my father is deceased. Nobody knows about his past cholesterol levels.
I normally eat 3 yolks OR 50g salmon a day, so either 1.1g of raw, unsaturated fat (salmon) or 4.9g of raw, unsaturated fat (yolks) and 30mg of raw cholesterol (salmon) or 629mg of raw cholesterol (yolks).

How on earth can I have high LDL cholesterol??????????????? Is it true about genetics and high cholesterol?

:cry:
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I dont' think cholesterol it self is bad, but rather blockages in your veins that don't necessarily correlate to the amount of cholesterol you have in general.

I think blaming cholesterol for bad health is like blamming firemen for fires.
DarkGalaxy

Post by DarkGalaxy »

'Bad health'... ehhh... as far as I know I'm doing fine, definitely way above average. That's what is so weird about it.

Ok, so how did I get these 'blockages in my veins'?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
DarkGalaxy

Post by DarkGalaxy »

O wait, I get it... (just waking up here)... you are not saying I have those blockages, just high cholesterol. Thanks.

I mean, I feel fine... but I was just wondering what people thought of this concept of 'genetically high cholesterol'.

I read some stuff yesterday saying there is probably not even a link between heart disease and high cholesterol and that high cholesterol just means you have some damage to be repaired in your body. Could that be from me being in deep ketosis for a month? Who knows.

You can even get high cholesterol levels from stress and I have definitely had just about as much stress as I can handle the past year, going through a divorce and severe depression.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I can't say if you have blockages or not.

i'm just saying high cholesterol in it self isn't bad
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

DarkGalaxy wrote:I read some stuff yesterday saying there is probably not even a link between heart disease and high cholesterol and that high cholesterol just means you have some damage to be repaired in your body.
Thats all speculation.
What they found are correlations.
High LDL is statistically associated to increased heart disease risk.
This does not at all mean that high LDL leads to increased heart disease risk. High LDL may be the result of different things. It may be genetic without any negative impact whatsoever. It may also be the result of stress, indeed.
What will be interesting is to see what your levels will be in 6 months.
Did you have such a test before?
If not, the results of 1 single test dont mean much, as there are no comparisons (only to the average of others).
DarkGalaxy wrote:My boyfriend has the same diet, although he eats way more egg yolks and salmon than I do. His cholesterol is fine.
thats because you dont get elevated cholesterol levels from consuming more natural (non-oxidized) cholesterol.
If I were you, i would make sure to consume sufficient natural cholesterol, so that cholesterol metabolism is not 'deprived' in any way.
Just wait and see what the next test shows us.
DarkGalaxy

Post by DarkGalaxy »

I will have my next test in a few months I think. This was my first test. I am not changing my diet. I will continue to eat sufficient raw animal cholesterol.

I also had elevated uric acid (from fructose in fruits??) and elevated monocytes.

I know you don't get higher LDL levels from eating raw cholesterol OR raw saturated fat (which is currently considered to be the reason for elevated LDL more so than cholesterol), but I'm just saying... I can't see anything I am doing wrong with my diet...

By the way my boyfriends' aunt recently had been on meds to lower her cholesterol and after her LDL was lowered, her G.P. told her to continue with the pills to lower her LDL even more. She ended up in the hospital with a heart attack.

Hey RRM, thank you and what do you think of this article?
http://www.mercola.com/2005/may/28/chol ... _heart.htm
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

DarkGalaxy wrote:I also had elevated uric acid (from fructose in fruits??) and elevated monocytes.
How high?
In humans, uric acid is mainly the end product of purines, and is indeed also inlfuenced by fructose intake.
As purines are particularly found in meat, vegetarians have lower uric acid levels. Vegetarians that start eating meat/fish tend to have temporarily elevated uric acid levels. Have you been vegetarian prior to the Wai diet?
Too bad he doesnt recognize the role of oxidized cholesterol.
DarkGalaxy

Post by DarkGalaxy »

How high?
6.5 mg/dl (the range is 2.3 to 6.1 mg/dl)
Have you been vegetarian prior to the Wai diet?
Only for the past like 18 years of my life........... You're brilliant :D!!! Thanks for clearing that up for me RRM!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Too bad he doesnt recognize the role of oxidized cholesterol.
Yes...